Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Do I need to carry my passport with me in Germany?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need to carry my passport with me in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I currently live in Germany and for the previous 25 years have spent about three days a week there. I have never once in all that time been randomly asked for my identification.
It's rarely but it happened to me.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I currently live in Germany and for the previous 25 years have spent about three days a week there. I have never once in all that time been randomly asked for my identification.
Originally Posted by offerendum
It's rarely but it happened to me.
Try living in Bavaria with a migrant back ground...
Old May 21, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by oliver2002
with a migrant back ground...
Can´t serve with it unfortunately, but I can imagine.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, that might generate a few more requests for ID.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can see how disappointed they are when I pull out my German national ID and nicely ask in German to please ID themselves as per PAG Article 6 and please let me know why they are asking me for ID as per Article 13.

PAG: Gesetz über die Aufgaben und Befugnisse der Bayerischen Staatlichen Polizei (Polizeiaufgabengesetz ? PAG) in der Fassung der Bekanntmachung vom 14. September 1990 (GVBl. S. 397) BayRS 2012-1-1-I (Art. 1?78) - Bürgerservice
:D! likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
And then look as young as if your were still obliged to go to school
Old May 23, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See what they will say under the new Polizeigesetz.... Perhaps they now ask for DNA.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
And then look as young as if your were still obliged to go to school
In this case please show a certificate from your school..... Our Bavarian friends care about children and make sure they are looking movies at School.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:12 am

Just like Germans, you are supposed to own a passport or whatever equivalent that allowed you to enter the country. However, just like Germans, you are not required to carry it with you (unless you carry a weapon, which is not advisable, or are on a specific job that requires it the ID). https://www.juraforum.de/forum/t/mit...aender.595315/
If, however, there is a suspicion you might have committed a crime (even of lesser kind), the police are allowed to hold you until you have proven your identity and right to be in the country.

Now, with respect to making copies of passports or id papers. This was strictly VERBOTEN until July 2017. Now the law has changed, but there are still strict conditions under which you can copy a passport or ID. Specifically, only the owner is allowed to copy, take a photo, or scan it; the copy needs to be permanently identifiable as a copy, for example, you have a black/white copy of an original that is in color, or you have COPY written on it.
https://www.datenschutzbeauftragter-...eises-erlaubt/
Old May 30, 2018, 10:18 am

I've been travelling to Germany, two or three times most years, since the age of 13 - so over forty years now!

Being British, I have no national ID card, and I don't drive so have never had a driving license, so in theory I need to carry my passport with me all the time

I don't

I have never been asked for ID, not even when reporting a stolen mobile 'phone, other than showing my passport on arrival & departure, so I don't know what I would have done if I needed it

I have had the misfortune to be in the situation where my wife left two days early, taking my passport with her, and the Germans could not have been more efficient or helpful (no surprises there) at Duesseldorf, in marked contrast to the UK who left me cooling my heels for over an hour while they went through the same checks that their Teutonic colleagues completed in under fifteen minutes
Old May 30, 2018, 6:00 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by chrisboote
I have had the misfortune to be in the situation where my wife left two days early, taking my passport with her, and the Germans could not have been more efficient or helpful (no surprises there) at Duesseldorf, in marked contrast to the UK who left me cooling my heels for over an hour while they went through the same checks that their Teutonic colleagues completed in under fifteen minutes
Although it shouldn't take an hour, the difference was that you were leaving Germany and trying to enter the UK. If you had been trying to enter Germany without your passport I don't believe it would have gone so smoothly.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Carnforth
A fairly recent development is that railway conductors in Germany no longer accept a credit card to verify a self-printed ticket and now require to see a passport (or official ID card) to verify the ticket owner's identity.
Yes. This happened to me last week. BTW the DB phone app is great and you can buy your ticket on the phone and store your ticket (a QR code actually) there. But once out of several trips I was asked to with my Bahn card (which I don't have) or passport for ID. I have heard they don't consider a driver's license from a foreign country to be an ID.
Carnforth likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
In a wider context, there are advantages of both having your passport on you at all times and having only a photocopy. The latter is obvious - you are more prone to lose it than in a hotel safe. For the former, there are situations, where you just can't get back to the hotel to fetch it and you need to leave NOW. I had a medevac in Moscow where I learned this. Even though these are rare, they still happen.

Even when not carrying the passport on me, I like to have some ID - I really don't fancy being a John Doe for days on end. The level of ID I'm ready to show/part with depends on who asks. At an office reception, a DL is more than ample to show/exchange for a visitor's pass (a library card would do, too if only they had pics) If someone in authority needs to establish my identity, the DL is enough. Now if they need to establish my nationality, in most case it isn't, an ID usually is. And when immigration comes into the picture, passport is probably the only accepted one, with the proviso that many EU ID cards are valid for travel in quite a few non-EU countries, too.
flyingfkb likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't understand not having your passport with you. Do you carry ID with you when you're not traveling? If the answer is no, then I can see why you don't want to have your passport.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once in PEK I needed my passport to enter a museum. Can't think of any other place in the world that I've needed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.