FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   13 hour layover in Munich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1902398-13-hour-layover-munich.html)

invisible Apr 5, 2018 2:56 am

13 hour layover in Munich

I and my brother are having 13h layover in Munich in mid-April. We arrive at 8AM on Tuesday morning and or outgoing flight is at 9:30PM.

We are going to have much more than backpack/carry-on. I've been at MUC number of times but never been in the city.

So, what would you recommend to do and see for first time visitors but avoiding obvious tourist traps? I know Munich's reputation but we are not much beer/alcohol drinkers. Would like to minimize expenses on transportation if possible.

kushwa Apr 5, 2018 4:51 am

13 hrs in Munich

Take the S8 out of the airport and into the city and get off at Mareinplatz. The ride should take about 40-60 minutes. Remember that for the ride back. You can also take the S1 but tit takes longer
and it stops and the front of the train goes one way and the back of the train to another destination. So the S8 is better for the return trip. Walk around mareinplatz, go behind the city hall
and check out the buildings and other architecture in the city. You can climb the steps in a tower near city hall. You can take a elevator to the top of the city hall. Go to Orlando Strasse
and check out the Hofbrau house and the hard Rock is right next to it. You don't have to drink in the Hofbrau house but it is good for people watching and just to look around. You can check out the
Viktualienmarkt and look at all of the food and things on sale. If your adventurous you could walk out to the Englisher garden and see if anyone is surfing on the river.There is a rock in the river which creates a standing wave where there always seems to be 4-5 people surfing. You could take the U6 out to the Olympic park and wander around or check out the BMW museum if you want. There is always the Deuchtes museum
if it's raining. very much like our Smithsonian museum. Plenty to do and see just watch the time! Or just find a nice local restaurant and sit down and enjoy a good meal. have a good time.

invisible Apr 10, 2018 12:30 am

Thank you very much!
In terms of train tickets is there any discount/one day ticket which would cover this (MUC-Altstadt) and couple of other rides, like going to BMW Museum or better to buy tickets for each travel?

flyingfkb Apr 10, 2018 6:36 am

There is an airport-city-day-ticket with which you can use to get to the city and back as well to use all day for subway, busses and tram in the city. It is 13€ for one person and 24,30€ for a group up to 5 persons. So the group ticket is already cheaper for groups of two persons. The one way ticket from the city to the airport is 11,60€. So the day ticket is the cheapest way to go to the city and back to the airport.

I addition there is group citytourcard for 35,90€ which gives you some small discounts but in my opinion it is not worth it and the airport-city-day-ticket is still the best value.

Putnik Apr 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Another vote for BMW Welt and Museum.

LondonElite Apr 17, 2018 10:55 am

Go to BMW Welt only if you are fascinated by car showrooms. That's essentially what it is.

Marienplatz and Hofbräuhaus are basically the two epicentres of tourist traps. Yes, you might like to say you've been there, but you could easily avoid them and not miss much. A general wander around the pedestrianised zone would be one way to start, or head to the Alte/Neue Pinakothek (museums). Englischer Garten is indeed nice, as is Nymphenburg Palace gardens (on the western end of the city). Deutsches Museum is indeed fascinating. While you may not drink much beer, a lunch in a beer garden is highly recommended.

offerendum Apr 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29651712)
Go to BMW Welt only if you are fascinated by car showrooms. That's essentially what it is.

Marienplatz and Hofbräuhaus are basically the two epicentres of tourist traps. Yes, you might like to say you've been there, but you could easily avoid them and not miss much. A general wander around the pedestrianised zone would be one way to start, or head to the Alte/Neue Pinakothek (museums). Englischer Garten is indeed nice, as is Nymphenburg Palace gardens (on the western end of the city). Deutsches Museum is indeed fascinating. While you may not drink much beer, a lunch in a beer garden is highly recommended.

Personally I Marienplatz and think you see it more or less automatically. Agree with the recommendations. Pinakothek der Moderne, Museum Brandhorst and Lembachhaus are also good museum options if you like the type of art in display.

LondonElite Apr 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Blaue Reier. Agree.

Putnik Apr 17, 2018 2:01 pm

I agree, I would not do BMW Welt if you are not already doing the Museum at the same time.

offerendum Apr 18, 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29652375)
Blaue Reier. Agree.

Like the Reiers:D

LondonElite Apr 18, 2018 9:43 am

Ooops. That’s a strange autocorrect, but it does describe how I felt last Saturday morning!

offerendum Apr 19, 2018 3:37 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29656025)
Ooops. That’s a strange autocorrect, but it does describe how I felt last Saturday morning!

Good good - at the moment in Munich so relativ relaxed.

pbiflyer Apr 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Another vote for this advice. I love the Deutches Museum. A beer garden visit even without beer is great.

Uh Clem May 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Putnik (Post 29647263)
Another vote for BMW Welt and Museum.

If you like cars I would recommend the Deutches Museum Verkehrszentrum museum over BMW Welt. BMW Welt is great if you own a BMW but Deutches Museum Verkehrszentrum has much more to see and it's closer to the city center.