Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Final Destination FRA -- Access to Duty Free there?

Old Mar 27, 18, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

Am flying into FRA tomorrow, will likely arrive at a remote stand. Does anybody know whether I will have access to Duty Free, even if FRA is my final destination? I need a gift for a friend and it's been a while since I arrived there.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFishMan View Post
Am flying into FRA tomorrow, will likely arrive at a remote stand. Does anybody know whether I will have access to Duty Free, even if FRA is my final destination? I need a gift for a friend and it's been a while since I arrived there.

Thanks!
No -- that's not how duty free works

Duty-free shops (or stores) are retail outlets that are exempt from the payment of certain local or national taxes and duties, on the requirement that the goods sold will be sold to travelers who will take them out of the country.
You will have many gift shops to select from.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
You'll have *access*, but you won't be able to buy anything since you won't have a valid boarding pass. That being said, plenty of stores in FRA, it all depends on what you want to buy.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; DL Plat; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Marriott Plat; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyingFishMan View Post

Thanks!
There are plenty of non duty free shops outside of security at FRA that you could possibly shop at.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
No -- that's not how duty free works

Question: When I arrive in some airports in Asia, there are some duty free stores after getting the luggage (before exiting customs). I never stopped because I don't want to make the people picking me up wait so I don't know if those stores are truly duty free shops for arriving passengers. Anyone knows?

You will have many gift shops to select from.
Indeed there are many shops in Frankfurt but if OP is traveling from outside Europe maybe OP should think about something good from the origin city (and if origin city is in the US it usually tends to be cheaper than buying in Germany). I know that when my wife travels to visit her family in Belgium, she gets a page long list of things to bring ......... and many of those things would make a good present.
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
OT, but a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't able to buy *anything* at AMS after I landed, because I couldn't produce a boarding pass. I was trying to buy some postcards at a regular store...
Old Mar 27, 18, 12:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
As the query is about gift shopping in FRA / Germany, will move this to the German Destination fourm

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 27, 18, 4:06 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Some airports in Europe have duty free shops for arriving passengers but FRA isnít one of them.
Old Apr 2, 18, 3:08 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: AB, BA, LH, KL, QR, spg, IC
If you have access to the airside terminal on arrival (usually on arrival of schengen flights by docking or at the bus arrival by turning the other direction than exit), Heinemann duty free accepts arrival boarding pass for duty free shopping. I've done that many times.

If you have to pass immigration then most of the times you'll be funneled to immigration without terminal access from where you might not have access back to the airside without ongoing boarding pass.
Old Apr 2, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Yes, what ralf says.

You can access the duty frees on arrival, they do accept your incoming BP. I do this regularly, usually heading towards the one opposite the SEN lounge in A. But, of course, it's not a problem, either, to use the other Heinemann duty frees.
Old Apr 30, 18, 7:14 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold
I'm transferring at MUC headed to NAP. Can I purchase at Heinemann duty free even though I am continuing to a Schengen destination?
Old May 1, 18, 3:24 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by dwcatty View Post
I'm transferring at MUC headed to NAP. Can I purchase at Heinemann duty free even though I am continuing to a Schengen destination?
Think sp. Also if I'm right there is nothing really tax-free. Prices are pretty high for chocolate
Old May 15, 18, 3:57 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold
Thanks. Answer was yes. I bought a bottle of single malt I had not seen before and did not see once I landed in NAP. Prices weren't great.
Old May 15, 18, 6:47 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by dwcatty View Post
I bought a bottle of single malt I had not seen before and did not see once I landed in NAP. Prices weren't great.
At Heineman, I'd shoot for the special offer items. Often times, if something I like is not on special offer, I'll pass.

Good deals on special offer include, for example, a full liter of Bombay Sapphire 47% (not the s**tty 40%) for EUR 21.90, 1 l of Tanqueray for EUR 13.90, Talisker...
Old May 22, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by dimramon View Post
OT, but a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't able to buy *anything* at AMS after I landed, because I couldn't produce a boarding pass. I was trying to buy some postcards at a regular store...
Some places , they need to scan your boarding pass for their tax/VAT reports.

Search this Thread