Search

Long layover in MUC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:12 pm
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Long layover in MUC

Hubby and I are flying to MUC this August arriving around 10.00 a.m. We catch our flight to JNB at 9.05 p.m. It is a long layover and we plan to visit the city during that time.
Would appreciate input on where to go, what to see, where to have a good lunch... We have been in MUC for a very short visit years ago and remember the Hofbrauhaus, Marienplatz...
We would need to store our carry-on. Where would the storage facility be? Could we leave them in the Lounge?
Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Where to go / what to see: Lots of choices depending on what you're into. Some of my favorites would be: the Residenz, Deutsches Museum, Englischer Garden, Asam Church. Maybe the BMW Museum, Alte and/or Neue Pinakothek museums, Viktualienmarkt. Haven't been to Nymphenburg Palace - it's on our list for our next visit.

Lunch: Obviously there are 100s if not 1000s of places in Munich to have lunch. I'd go to the Augustiner Beer Garden. I happen to be a big fan of Augustiner beer and the beer garden in August would be a great choice. Sit outside under the chestnut trees and enjoy lunch and beer. It's a few blocks west of the main train station.

Enjoy your layover and the rest of your trip!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
A bit more about you and the hubby would help make suggestions.

When I was in Munich for Oktoberfest two years ago I went out to Dachau for a morning and actually met two people on their way from the US to Johannesburg for safari. They started with a few hours out there, which is pretty intense, and then told me their plan was a lunch/brewery tour, museum & visit a park before having a dinner on the way back towards the airport.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by MTC
Where would the storage facility be? Could we leave them in the Lounge?
The facility in T2 is near the exit where arriving pax hail a taxi: https://www.munich-airport.com/left-luggage-851650

Do not leave luggage in the lounge lockers if you plan to leave the airport.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:36 am
MTC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The facility in T2 is near the exit where arriving pax hail a taxi: https://www.munich-airport.com/left-luggage-851650

Do not leave luggage in the lounge lockers if you plan to leave the airport.

Thanks Oliver! Much appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:40 am
MTC
Original Poster

Thanks folks for all your tips!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAX2Anywhere
Where to go / what to see: Lots of choices depending on what you're into. Some of my favorites would be: the Residenz, Deutsches Museum, Englischer Garden, Asam Church. Maybe the BMW Museum, Alte and/or Neue Pinakothek museums, Viktualienmarkt. Haven't been to Nymphenburg Palace - it's on our list for our next visit.

Lunch: Obviously there are 100s if not 1000s of places in Munich to have lunch. I'd go to the Augustiner Beer Garden. I happen to be a big fan of Augustiner beer and the beer garden in August would be a great choice. Sit outside under the chestnut trees and enjoy lunch and beer. It's a few blocks west of the main train station.

Enjoy your layover and the rest of your trip!
+1 I can't fault any recommendation in this post that I disagree with. Especially the Augustiner Beer!
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Paulaner used to do a brewery tour (not sure if it's still offered). BMW still offers factory tours. That type of tours can be interesting depending on your personal interests. Re: BMW, I'd avoid the BMW Welt: It's essentially a more exciting BMW dealership that goes into more detail demonstrating their technology. The BMW museum is much more interesting.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
BMW Welt is a waste of time IMO.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Never visited
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Never visited
Cf. my previous post. It's essentially a dealership on steroids featuring their bikes and current cars along with a couple of active display demonstrating their tech (e.g. regenerative braking, x-drive). I only visited because I was there to see the BMW museum.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The BMW Welt is a nice place if you want to give a visitor a quick taste of BMW. The Do&Co restaurant on the upper level hase nice views and the same nice Schnitzel that you know and love from the Lufthansa FCT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.