Skiing in the Tannheimer Tal Austria...

Old Feb 7, 18, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others

We have rented a chalet (last minute) in the Tannheimer Tal. I have a few questions for anyone who is familiar with the local slopes (I have never skied there).

1. Can anyone recommend a good ski school? My children are a little better than beginners but it has been a couple of years, and I'd like to get the four of them private lessons with a good instructor.

2. I am a reasonably advanced skier. Any tips on where to go? I see Schattwald-Zöblen is probably the more challenging. I don't mind staying on the same mountain that the children will have their instruction on, but I'd prefer one that has a nice few black runs. I'm sure the answer to 1 will be able to help me with this question as well.

Thanks all
Old Feb 8, 18, 8:00 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Disclaimer (as Mod): We are aware, that Tannheimer Tal is in Austria and this is the Germany forum. But given its location, I leave it here for now.

Regarding your question, I have been there but that has been more than ten years ago, tough I am not of great help.

If my memories are correct, the slopes are more blue to red rather than black level (there is only a short black one at Grän). I have not been to Schattwald myself (which is where the only black slopes is, but went to the Neunerköpfle region, as this ski area offered more routes than Schattwald and is higher. Looking now on Startseite - Skifahren im Tannheimer Tal - Tirol I am not 100% sure, if the lifts were the same at this time, but I think so.

Could not recommed any ski school, as I did not use one. It was a quick one day trip after a business meeting in Munich ...
Old Feb 8, 18, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Thanks for that. I debated putting it in the Europe forum but figured that, given it's just over the border and with a high percentage of German skiers, I'd get better responses here. This year we've decided not to go to the usual places like Lech, St Anton, or Kitzbuehl because they can be a bit intimidating for the novices (plus there are too many 'bling' tourists there for my liking, especially K).

We found a really nice ski school which seems ideal. They mentioned Neunerköpfle as well. Can't wait. They had a dumping of new snow last night!

Search this Thread