Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

FRA weekend in Feb - stay or go - itinerary help

Old Jan 29, 18, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: 75K AS, IHG/SPG

Hey folks - I have a business trip to Frankfurt end of February. I've got the last Friday and weekend free so I thought might stick around to explore the city and its environs. But since I'm planning to fly Icelandair on the way home I could go to Iceland to try for the northern lights. I could head elsewhere in Europe as well, but I'd like to minimize additional travel time. I'm into food, culture and the outdoors; plus great coffee. All pretty easy in Europe. Ideally I'd minimize out of the way travel, see some cool cultural sights and get a bit of winter sun or the northern lights while being in somewhat smaller places than the bigger destinations (Paris, AMS, et al.). I haven't spent any time in the cities outside of FRA or KEF so either would be interesting to me as I've certainly flown through them enough. There seem to be some small, cute towns around Frankfurt to drive around for a day, or I could even just head to Cologne. Or I could chase the northern lights. What would you do? Any itinerary suggestions?
Old Jan 29, 18, 4:58 am

Programs: Krisflyer Elite Gold, BAEC Bronze, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Frankfurt is not the most exciting of the German cities to visit (from my pov as an expat living here) but it has a few nice things do do around Frankfurt e.g. Rheingau area for visiting vineyards, etc. If it is just for a weekend, I am sure you would things to do. You could spend e.g. 1 day in Frankfurt itself (and you will see pretty much everything) and the next day visit a few towns in the Rheingau area, perhaps also visit Wiesbaden, which is nice too.
Old Jan 29, 18, 5:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
You could let LH decide for you: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Lufthansa-Surprise
Old Jan 29, 18, 6:07 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
deleted

Last edited by 1flyer; Dec 11, 18 at 1:42 am
Old Jan 29, 18, 6:34 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by JFSV View Post
Frankfurt is not the most exciting of the German cities to visit (from my pov as an expat living here) but it has a few nice things do do around Frankfurt e.g. Rheingau area for visiting vineyards, etc. If it is just for a weekend, I am sure you would things to do. You could spend e.g. 1 day in Frankfurt itself (and you will see pretty much everything) and the next day visit a few towns in the Rheingau area, perhaps also visit Wiesbaden, which is nice too.
Like 1flyer I also disagree. It may be not the MOST interesting city but absolutely well worth a visit.
With 2 days one could be spend in Frankfurt itself and 1 in the surrounding landscape. Wouldn’t travel around for excample to Munich, Paris, Berlin or whatever. If you like to do you csn reach most major cities without problems from FRA.
Old Jan 29, 18, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Cool, I think this sounds like I'm staying in FRA. Worth renting a car to drive around? I haven't driven in Germany before so that's on my bucket list. I've been to most of the major cities @offerendum mentioned, although I'd love to get back to Berlin. I just think I'd rather save the travel time unless the fare or time of my return trip back stateside improves (I should check that). @1flyer & @JFSV thanks for all the suggestions - are these also good to check out at end of February?

I should note that while not a hipster I really like their taste in music, coffee, food, alcohol and arts. Not sure if hipsters like hiking, but I'm into that, too. Just not a fan of skateboarding or skinny jeans
@pewpew Surprise flights are awesome, but I'd worry a bit about connecting back to Iceland air for the flight home. I love those mystery flights. I used to do those on KLM when I lived in Amsterdam many moons ago. That's an awesome idea, just may not work for me this trip. I've also mostly given up on Star Alliance. I just finally zeroed out my UA mileage balance a few weeks ago.

I'll owe it to myself to check out KEF, though. Northern lights are high on the bucket list but seems like two nights may not be enough to guarantee success.
Old Jan 30, 18, 2:25 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Personally I would rent a car, it´s worth it.
Old Jan 30, 18, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
+1 for staying in Frankfurt.
@1flyer has good suggestions, but I would stay away from the wine-related ones as February is just not a good time to walk through the wine villages or vineyards in the Rheingau or Rheinhessen regions.

Let me add the Senckenberg museum if you're in any way into natural history. Smaller topical museums such as the German architecture museum (Deutsches Architektur Museum) or the Filmmuseum are also well worth a visit as are smaller arts museums such as the Museums Giersch or the Portikus Exhibition Hall.

My suggestion would be to do the more touristy stuff (Cathedral, Paulskirche, Roemerberg, Goethe-Haus) on day one and combine that with a dive into Frankfurt's lively bar scene in the evening (I would recommend Kinly Bar, Bristol Bar, Jimmy's Bar, Parlour, Sullivan, Rote Bar, Tiny Cup), which you can easily combine into a walking tour.
Then on the second day do some of the less touristy stuff that @1flyer mentioned such as Lola Montez or some of the Offenbach venues. Then in the evening top it off with a concert in the Alte Oper or maybe a play in the English Theatre? If your stay is over a weekend, then make sure that you pay the weekly market at Konstablerwache a visit during the day on Saturday and browse through the Kleinmarkthalle (Small market hall) on the same day. If the weather is sunny, I would also recommend a walk on the southern riverside to the Gerbermühle (good food) or to Oosten on the northern riverside.

That should be more than enough for two days and you don't need a rental car at all as everything is walkable or reachable with public transportation. If you need restaurant suggestions, please speak up and tell what you like.
Old Jan 31, 18, 12:48 pm

Programs: M&S, Radisson
deleted

Last edited by 1flyer; Dec 11, 18 at 1:41 am
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

I'm excited. Full list of stuff to see. Now I have too much for a few days, which is perfect I'm hoping I can rent a car just because I enjoy being able to hop around a bit if going outside the city. That said I'm sure cheaper to not have one.

I'd love recommendations for some good coffee/drinks (more hipsters than grand old traditional) and restaurants. I'm pretty equal opportunity food-wise but like to go for the local specialties / classics (so the grand old classics are great), local holes in the wall or farm to table / seasonal / buzzword places. Traveling solo places where I can dine at the bar are preferred, even if my face is in a book or phone I always like dining solo at the bar better than a table.
Old Feb 1, 18, 1:18 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Some traditional dining and partying options can be found in another post of mine over at the Starwood forum.

For hip coffee, try "The Espresso Bar" or "The Holy Cross Brewing Society". If you're into beer, you can go to "Naiv", which is right across the Holy Cross Brewing Society and sit at the bar there.

For local, vegetarian, farm-to-table style cuisine with a Michelin Star, try to get a table at "Seven Swans".

For local Frankfurt-style traditional restaurants, try "Daheim im Lorsbacher Thal" and do a apple wine/cider tasting there or "Fichtekränzi".
Old Feb 1, 18, 2:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
free Icelandair stopover

I agree all the recommendations make FRA sound like the best place to visit in Europe?
Think again. What is your budget for this weekend? I ask because Icelandair packs a lot of options into is stopover - where all you pay is expenses:
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...opover-iceland

ps Two days is all you really need to see Iceland. Trust me. I did it last year.
Old Feb 1, 18, 5:20 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I guess many will object with 2 days..... The stopover program could of course be an option so OP could have one day in FRA and one in Iceland.
Old Feb 1, 18, 6:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
If you stay in frankfurt - and there are tons to do for two days - no need for any car. The city is walkable and has good public transport to the places around (and problems to find parking spaces)
Old Feb 2, 18, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

I think it's going to be Frankfurt - thanks for the recommendations. And yes to beer, although I come from IPA land it's hard to go to a pils with all the strong hops we have here.

I've seen that stopover buddy program mentioned before, but doesn't seem like it's running still. My other half also told me that I'm forbidden from seeing the northern lights without her. So that makes my location easier. But I'll admit that being told no makes me want to go just a bit more... If she ever cares to find out my username on FT I'm toast!

Search this Thread