Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

CDW Insurance Scam at Frankfurt Airport

CDW Insurance Scam at Frankfurt Airport

Old Jan 9, 18, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Exclamation CDW Insurance Scam at Frankfurt Airport

DO NOT rent a car from Dollar/Hertz at Frankfurt airport!

As seasoned travelers, we always do our research and know that CDW coverage in most countries are not only optional but is covered by the credit cards we have. Prior to the trip, we checked with American Express who assured us and emailed us a letter confirming coverage that the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) insurance was indeed provided and would be sufficient for the rental.

However, when we arrive at the Dollar counter, we were told that we had pay extra to purchase both the mandatory liability insurance as well as CDW coverage in order to rent the car. Even with the the letter from American Express as a proof of coverage, Dollar would not recognize/honor it. Then, we were told that we would have to pay additional 350 Euros or we wouldn't be able to rent the car.

With all the research, one thing we didn't do was read the online reviews before booking the car. If we did, we would have been aware of the scam which seems to be well known. Apparently, the agents at the counter get commission off the the insurance they sell. If this is true, shame on Dollar/Hertz (operated by the same agency) propagating this scam.

I hope this serves as a warning to travelers who are thinking about booking car rental with Dollar/Hertz or if you have already, cancel and book elsewhere!
Old Jan 9, 18, 8:26 am

Most car rental rates are fully flexible IIRC. If they pull any funny business, walk straight away, and book with a competitor. I've walked away from countless rental car counters for various reasons, or no reason at all.
Old Jan 9, 18, 7:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, 1Enfant001.

Let's move your thread over to the Germany forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:59 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, QR, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Did you accept the upsell? Not only in FRA and not only at Dollar/Hertz car-rental agents try to push upsell talks at least 50% of the time I rent a car, despite having "express cards" with all the companies that should minimize such strategies because you should just get the keys after presenting your card with the online booking.

After a number of such talks I don't even get into a discussion anymore but very firmly tell that I will not accept any further options and that everything is fix as it has been booked in advance. In my experience a very firm and short, maybe even a bit unfriendly answer sends the signal that any effort to dive into upsell talks will not be succesfull. This saves my and the agents time...

If an agent would pull the strategy that you've described I would probably ask to see a supervisor and firmly tell that this is absolutely inacceptable.
LondonElite, offerendum and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 3:55 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Typical one way wonder post it seems. This problem is global and happens at all major rental companies at selected stations.
My Amex has also an insurance but for excample only up to 75000 Ä. With the cars I sometimes rent it can beca problem. Also Ivsimply prefer to have a 0 liability deal with the rental company as it makes everything much more convenient.
Old Jan 13, 18, 3:22 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
This is becoming a general problem and sickness with the car rental companies, which have stooped to levels of dishonesty unimaginable just a few short years ago. Consequence: I almost never rent cars anymore, having found other solutions for my mobility.
keisari likes this.
Old Jan 16, 18, 2:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I rented from Hertz in MUC last week with no CDW at all. The contract clearly showed that my liability was 33000 EUR and that I had 'DECLINED' CDW, PI, etc. Often agents point out if that is what I really want, but don't push for an upsell.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 16, 18, 4:37 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Often agents point out if that is what I really want, but don't push for an upsell.
With good reason. Otherwise they risk that people claim they didnít know about any liability.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: