FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Esso station Frankfurt airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1883352-esso-station-frankfurt-airport.html)

VivoPerLei Dec 18, 2017 1:45 am

Esso station Frankfurt airport

Tried to fill up my rental car before returning it to FRA yesterday as I normally do and found it impossible to get to the ESSO station due to the construction-related closure of the traffic circle and no umleitung signs. Didn't have time to play around with trying to find an alternate route.

Is the Esso station in fact still open and if so, how is it accessible? I came from the west (from Mainz direction). Could only make the exit right towards T2, not around the circle towards the station.

dj_jay_smith Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am

Yes this is a right pain at the moment. It is still open, but difficult to access.

If you come from the West (Wiesbaden, Mainz, Cologne) then you need to take the exit for T2 as you did, but as you can't go round the roundabout then follow the road towards the Terminal. At the first set of lights you need to be in the far left lane, and then you can actually make a U-Turn.
There are normally lots of people doing this, especially Taxi drivers!
Then follow the road back and go on the roundabout (left lane again), and then you can come off the roundabout for the Esso station.

There is also a Shell (?) on the Airport ring towards the west. But I have not been there, and it is more awkward to get to from the Autobahn.

VivoPerLei Dec 18, 2017 9:34 am

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith (Post 29187529)
Yes this is a right pain at the moment. It is still open, but difficult to access.

If you come from the West (Wiesbaden, Mainz, Cologne) then you need to take the exit for T2 as you did, but as you can't go round the roundabout then follow the road towards the Terminal. At the first set of lights you need to be in the far left lane, and then you can actually make a U-Turn.
There are normally lots of people doing this, especially Taxi drivers!
Then follow the road back and go on the roundabout (left lane again), and then you can come off the roundabout for the Esso station.

There is also a Shell (?) on the Airport ring towards the west. But I have not been there, and it is more awkward to get to from the Autobahn.

Thanks, this is good information. Have they made that a legal u-turn for the time being, or just not ticketing anybody?

WorldLux Dec 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 29188256)
Thanks, this is good information. Have they made that a legal u-turn for the time being, or just not ticketing anybody?

I'm not sure about the German road code but IIRC you can make a U-turn unless it's expressly prohibited by a sign. Autobahns and expressways are excluded from that where it is prohibited to make u-turns (In case you were wondering...).

dj_jay_smith Dec 19, 2017 5:41 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 29188256)

I didn't see any sign prohibiting it. There are two lanes that turn left, the far left one you can do u-turns from, and when I done this just a few weeks ago most cars in this lane were doing this and about 50% of them were Taxis. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Flying Lawyer Dec 22, 2017 10:58 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux (Post 29190700)
I'm not sure about the German road code but IIRC you can make a U-turn unless it's expressly prohibited by a sign. Autobahns and expressways are excluded from that where it is prohibited to make u-turns (In case you were wondering...).

I would not know how to make a U-turn on the Autobahn :p

WorldLux Dec 22, 2017 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 29205778)
I would not know how to make a U-turn on the Autobahn :p

I bet that plenty of people (would) do it. It's the type of individual that think missing an exit is enough to justify such dangerous manoeuvres. Driving to the next exit is obviously to complicated for their tiny brains...

offerendum Dec 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux (Post 29205965)
I bet that plenty of people (would) do it. It's the type of individual that think missing an exit is enough to justify such dangerous manoeuvres. Driving to the next exit is obviously to complicated for their tiny brains...

They normally don’t do U-Turns, they drive backward...... Otherwise you waste so much time and fuel. So it’s for ecological reasons :rolleyes:

But to be fair I think it’s rarely in fluent traffic. But several people did it during traffic jam. Newspapers were full. Also some insanes did a u-turn while Autobahn was blocked and drove the rescue alley in wrong direction. They wondered when police stopped them. They will walk for a while....

Video: https://m.focus.de/regional/videos/s...d_7372572.html