Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Best route ORD to Berlin

Best route ORD to Berlin

Old Dec 12, 17, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Best route ORD to Berlin

It used to be Air Berlin. Any frequent flyers with a new favorite route minimizing stops? I prefer transits that allow some additional time for immigration, getting to next departure gate and accommodate late arrivals. Something through Munich or Frankfurt? Direct to Amsterdam or Copenhagen, then onward? Icelandic? I'm willing to consider most anything. Carrier less important than ease of connection.
Old Dec 13, 17, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, ICH Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
Unfortunately, there is no nonstop from ORD to TXL, at least, not any I know of. However, there are dozens of 1-stop connections: many (most) European national carriers service Berlin. The connecting airport is a matter of taste. You can do Star Alliance through Munich, Frankfurt, Vienna, or (with UA) even via Newark (although I hate EWR). You can do OW via Heathrow - fine if you stay on BA. Or Sky Team through Paris or Amsterdam: both feature long walks, but are quite servicable. i have been though all of these airports and can't rea;lly say whiche is easier. If you leave 2 hours between flights, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old Dec 13, 17, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL GM/KM
The possibilities above are just the beginning, there's also DUB (EI), WAW (LO), ARN (SK), ZRH (LX), BRU (SN), MAD (IB), or IST (TK). Also consider whether you prefer arriving at SXF (WW via KEF) or TXL (all others).

If ease of connection is paramount, a non-Schengen transit that shifts passport control to arrival in Berlin might be preferable.
Old Dec 13, 17, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
AC also offers Rouge service from Toronto. There are something like 15 flights a day from Frankfurt (and 10 from Munich) if you choose to connect through there, but these are so packed at the moment that they are using a 747-400 for four of the daily rotations (I'm about to get on one now!)
Old Dec 15, 17, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the help!
Old Dec 16, 17, 3:13 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
What about AY (Finnair) via HEL ... ?
Old Dec 16, 17, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
Lufthansa is also offering a direct JFK-TXL on an amost daily basis at the moment. However this may change some time next year when they plan to assign that route to Eurowings - the route would still be available, however. If you don't mind routing ORD-JFK-TXL it could be an alternative.
Old Dec 24, 17, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by FlyerfromORD View Post
It used to be Air Berlin. Any frequent flyers with a new favorite route minimizing stops? I prefer transits that allow some additional time for immigration, getting to next departure gate and accommodate late arrivals. Something through Munich or Frankfurt? Direct to Amsterdam or Copenhagen, then onward? Icelandic? I'm willing to consider most anything. Carrier less important than ease of connection.
Check out LOT Polish Airlines from ORD to Berlin Tegel via Warsaw. Boeing 787 Dreamliner on the long-haul.
Old Jan 8, 18, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I avoid domestic connections such as through JFK when traveling abroad. Too many disruptions of domestic flights - my experience is that the long hauls from ORD to Europe or Asia will try their absolute best to take off. That may limit my options, but I'm more at ease before the departure. We decided to do something different than the original plan - fly via Copenhagen and spend a couple days there en route. Appreciate all the ideas and will explore other options for the next Germany trip.

Search this Thread