Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Security check when transitting in Frankfurt Intl (UK -> PL)

Old Nov 6, 17, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Just yesterday I've managed to miss the second part of my flight with Lufthansa from Manchester to Cracow via the Frankfurt Airport. I was meant to have one hour between the flights (from landing to departure, so effectively it was even less) - and the first flight was delayed about 20 mins, which made the window really narrow, but the main problem was that after passing the automated passport check (I am an EU citizen), I had to undergo security screening again. During the few hours I spent at the airport, waiting for the next flight, I started wondering whether I had made a mistake (taken a wrong turn or passed a wrong gate). I arrived at gate B45A and was supposed to leave from gate A60. Was I supposed to use some 'secret' passage to bypass the passport check? It didn't really raise any suspicions, since I was entering the Shengen zone.

I fly quite seldom and it was my second time in FRA (the first was a few days prior, on my way to MAN - but then I had way more than enough time and no security screening), so perhaps someone who uses the airport frequently and knows its outline would be able to tell me whether the screening was necessary, or did I walk into it carelessly?

It doesn't really matter much, except I can't stop wondering whether I could've avoided the delay.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers!
Old Nov 6, 17, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/1.7MM
I believe that this is as intended, since you came from outside the Schengen zone and there is a separate security check when entering Schengen in FRA.
Old Nov 6, 17, 3:21 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
At many Airports you must go thru security again if you connect. In FRA I wasn´t forced to go thru security connecting Schengen to Schengen, but I believe it´s not the case between Non-Schengen and Schengen. Also they do security at the gate at some gates, so in this case 2nd security is also necessary.
Old Nov 7, 17, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your answers, I still wonder if there is anyone who encountered the same situation as me though?

So is it really necessary to undergo a second, separate security check? Shouldn't there be only one, as long as you don't exit the passenger part of the airport, even if you are entering the Shengen zone?
Old Nov 7, 17, 3:28 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The explanation is a little more complicated.

The UK, although not a Schengen country, is in the EU (at present anyway) and considered 'clean' for airport security purposes in Germany. Some flights from the UK arrive at (bus) gates in FRA which allow passengers to enter the terminal behind security. Unfortunately any flight from the UK which arrives at a B gate does not allow passengers to enter the terminal behind security, hence the need to go through transfer security.

It is totally illogical but unfortunately it is due to the layout of the airport.

To the OP, there was nothing you could do to avoid transfer security if your flight arrived at B45A.
Hitchhiker90 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 17, 6:54 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker90 View Post
Just yesterday I've managed to miss the second part of my flight with Lufthansa from Manchester to Cracow via the Frankfurt Airport. I was meant to have one hour between the flights (from landing to departure, so effectively it was even less) - and the first flight was delayed about 20 mins, which made the window really narrow, but the main problem was that after passing the automated passport check (I am an EU citizen),
File a claim for compensation. If you had a transit time of 1h and the first flight was indeed delayed by at least 15 minutes, then you'll probably be below MCT. Check how much your delay at destination was and you may be able to ask LH for 250€.
Old Nov 8, 17, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
The explanation is a little more complicated.

The UK, although not a Schengen country, is in the EU (at present anyway) and considered 'clean' for airport security purposes in Germany. Some flights from the UK arrive at (bus) gates in FRA which allow passengers to enter the terminal behind security. Unfortunately any flight from the UK which arrives at a B gate does not allow passengers to enter the terminal behind security, hence the need to go through transfer security.

It is totally illogical but unfortunately it is due to the layout of the airport.

To the OP, there was nothing you could do to avoid transfer security if your flight arrived at B45A.
Thanks a lot. That's exactly the answer I needed, now I understand what happened and why and I will definitely keep that in mind (along with the cool guide for transfering at FRA I found here) the next time I have to pass through there.

Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
File a claim for compensation. If you had a transit time of 1h and the first flight was indeed delayed by at least 15 minutes, then you'll probably be below MCT. Check how much your delay at destination was and you may be able to ask LH for 250€.
As for that, they did rebook my flight (I flew later the same day - it was quite a bit of a nuisance actually since I didn't have a reasonable connection from the airport to home on Sunday night and ended up taking an 80km Uber ride but, in the end, no serious problems) and gave me a voucher for 10EUR. Do you think I would still even be elligible to claim any compensation? How would I go about doing that? And wouldn't it make LH "hate" me as a customer? They probably keep track of such customers in case they need to throw someone out of an airplane in an emergency...

Last edited by Hitchhiker90; Nov 8, 17 at 9:38 am Reason: Attributing the quotes
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
And wouldn't it make LH "hate" me as a customer? They probably keep track of such customers in case they need to throw someone out of an airplane in an emergency...

You have rights as a passenger. If they don't want to pay, then they should make sure that their flights are on time.
Old Nov 8, 17, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EB Silver
As for that, they did rebook my flight (I flew later the same day - it was quite a bit of a nuisance actually since I didn't have a reasonable connection from the airport to home on Sunday night and ended up taking an 80km Uber ride but, in the end, no serious problems) and gave me a voucher for 10EUR. Do you think I would still even be elligible to claim any compensation?
Yes, absolutely. In rebooking you and providing you with refreshments, they did no more than they were required to do under EU regulations, so you're perfectly entitled to claim compensation.

I would also ask for a refund for the ride home, explaining why it was necessary. I suspect they won't pay, but it's worth a shot.

Search this Thread