Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

3 days in Berlin w/infant

Old Oct 16, 17, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Hello. I'm spending three days in Berlin with my family this November. We have an 8 month old. Does anyone have any good advice on activities, visits, restaurants, etc? We're likely going to be staying in the vicinity of gendarmenmarkt.

Thank you!
Old Oct 24, 17, 11:16 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
I've visited Berlin a few times in the last 10-15 years; although never with an infant, so take with a grain of salt.

First, staying near Gendarmentmarkt makes for an easy walk across the river into the Museum area/island. If you can only go to one museum, go to the Pergamon. Very visually stimulating for the little one so they will have lots to look at and you will be amazed. Truly a gem.

I've stayed at the Hilton on the Gendermanmarkt Square during the holidays and they have one of the largest and best Christmas Markets in the city. Not sure how late in November, but check the holiday market schedules. That was actually the entire purpose of our last trip: Christkindlemarkts all across the city and in Dresden.

Right off the market square is a giant chocolate shop. Go upstairs and get the most expensive and best hot chocolate you will ever have. I forget the name of the place, but you can't miss it as it is across the street from the Hilton and underground metro.

Berlin also has a great zoo, although weather and outside light could be an issue for you. It gets dark early that time of year, and the weather/cold could be an issue.

I love, love, love Berlin. I am sure you will have a great time enjoying a very eclectic and vibrant city. Have fun.
Old Oct 24, 17, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Note that the Berlin metro is not super stroller friendly...
Old Oct 24, 17, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! We'll see how the weather is and see if the zoo works out. Museums are always nice too.
Old Oct 24, 17, 3:12 pm

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, Sixt Platinum, Etihad Gold
My godchild really enjoyed the Lego Discovery Center near Potsdamer Platz, especially on rainy days...maybe more suited for older kids though. When looking for food, Berlin is obviously famous for Döner Kebab and Currywurst Every Berliner will recommend a different place for the best Currywurst or Döner, so feel free to explore and check out the ones where more people eat.
Old Oct 31, 17, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by DeaconY View Post
Right off the market square is a giant chocolate shop. Go upstairs and get the most expensive and best hot chocolate you will ever have. I forget the name of the place, but you can't miss it as it is across the street from the Hilton and underground metro.
You mean Rausch!
Old Oct 31, 17, 7:40 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
You mean Rausch!
Obvious! Chocolate is indeed good but even if it is far from cheap there are unfortunately much more expensive options available.
Old Oct 31, 17, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Are restaurants baby friendly? Not looking for fine dining or anything, but also not fast food.
Old Nov 1, 17, 2:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes in general, but expect to leave the stroller in the entrance.

Search this Thread