Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

German Passport for an American

German Passport for an American

Old Sep 24, 17, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Red face German Passport for an American

Hallo!

I'm looking for some assistance on how (or if) I can obtain my German passport.

Here's a bit about me:
  • I live in the US and am a US citizen. I was born there.
  • My mother is a German citizen who grew up in and currently lives in Germany.
  • I went to high school in Germany and have my expired German "Personalausweis" or ID card
How would I go about obtaining my German Passport without a certified copy of my mother's birth certificate? I simply cannot obtain any of these documents from her. I'm fairly sure that from the US consulate, her birth certificate would be a required document if I want to get my passport.

Could I get my passport or proof of citizenship if I travel to Germany?

I've seen others post here for assistance with this, so I thought I'd give it a go to see if anyone could help.

I am grateful for any thoughts or tips. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 17, 1:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The German system doesn't work on birth certificates, contact the nearest German consulate and they can verify your current citizen status using what you have. If you were born before 1976, German citizenship was only possible to be given to children of female Germans on appplication. Citizenship rules have changed a few times since then, so talk to the local consulate to see what applies to you. Usually if you show them your old expired ID they do a check in Germany if you are still a citzen and then issue the new ID.

Getting your mothers birth certificate should be no issue either, children can apply for a copy as per §PStG: http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/pstg/__62.html
Old Sep 25, 17, 1:42 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
If you have an (expired) Personalausweis and you didn“t actively change your citizenchip you are still German citizen. Just go to the next consulate and apply for a new one.
Old Sep 25, 17, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Wow, thank you Oliver and offerendum! I'll make an appointment with the consulate and see what I can do. And thanks for that link, too! <3 Take care
Old Sep 28, 17, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Don't smile when/if you take passport photos. I just renewed my kids German passports and had to run down to a local photo shop by the Consulate (and pay thru the nose) because my kids smiled slightly in the Costco passport photos we had brought with us to our appointment.
Old Sep 29, 17, 12:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The photo rules are rather relaxed for kids below 6, for 6 to 9 its easy going except for lips closed.

The guidelines for photos are here: http://www.bmi.bund.de/DE/Themen/Mod...pass_node.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: