Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Speed Ticket in Germany (change address)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speed Ticket in Germany (change address)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Talking

Speaking from having to sort out speeding fines for my husband with both SIxt and Hertz in Germany.
Sixt charged us an admin fee for sending us the copy of the speed camera's photo and left it up to us to pay the fine via out bank.
Hertz told us about the speeding fine, took it from our credit card and charged an admin fee on top of the fine. Although we resented getting the speeding fine as the speed limits were not that clear, it was an easier way to pay the fine and return to Germany with a clear conscience
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanya934
Speaking from having to sort out speeding fines for my husband with both SIxt and Hertz in Germany.
Sixt charged us an admin fee for sending us the copy of the speed camera's photo and left it up to us to pay the fine via out bank.
Hertz told us about the speeding fine, took it from our credit card and charged an admin fee on top of the fine. Although we resented getting the speeding fine as the speed limits were not that clear, it was an easier way to pay the fine and return to Germany with a clear conscience
Are you absolutely sure Hertz paid the fine? Because it bypass your ability to plead guilty/not guilty and/or nominate another driver as the guilty party. For example, you added 2 additional authorized renters on the reservation (3 drivers on rental). There is no way Hertz know who the driver in the picture is. Or perhaps you had valet parking and the valet took the car for a joyride; Hertz can't determine that in the picture. By paying the ticket, Hertz closed your ability to dispute the ticket.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Seawolf, all i know is that Hertz wrote to us when we returned from Germany a few years ago and stated that they had paid the fine and levied an admin charge as well. As my husband was the only driver and we were caught on a camera going through a speed trap in a town, and he was aware that the camera had gone off, it was pretty obvious to us that he was going to receive a penalty fine.
I do understand your point and, if the circumstances had been different, like you stated , it would be a way to challenge Hertz in this matter.
We just saw it as Hertz sorting out the issue on our behalf and saving us a lot of hassle back in the UK .
It's down to the way that this speeding fine was managed by Hertz and the complications we had when trying to pay a fine to the issuing authority in Stuttgart that we choose to use Hertz in Germany.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Are you absolutely sure Hertz paid the fine? Because it bypass your ability to plead guilty/not guilty and/or nominate another driver as the guilty party. For example, you added 2 additional authorized renters on the reservation (3 drivers on rental). There is no way Hertz know who the driver in the picture is. Or perhaps you had valet parking and the valet took the car for a joyride; Hertz can't determine that in the picture. By paying the ticket, Hertz closed your ability to dispute the ticket.
Sorry for reviving this old thread.

Hertz really did charged my credit card, 2 transactions - one 132.xx euro and another one 29.75 euro - in December 2023, 3 months after leaving Germany. No email notifications about the charges, no mail either. I called my bank to dispute the charges. After some investigations by the bank, I'm not liable for those charges, blocked my card and issued me a new one.

I guess Hertz was trying to charge my old card again and was unsuccessful. So they send me invoices for the administrative fees of 29.75 euro - email and my home address. I referred to their invoice for the issued date/location - at that date, I was not in Germany. I have drove out of Germany and on the 'issued date', I was in Vienna. The 'Country' in the invoice is Germany.

I have been trying to get Hertz to show me more details before making the payment. Emails flying here and there and all they have been saying is what the administrative fee is for.

Truthfully, I am willing to pay the fine and the fees if I did commit the violations.

I replied them just now that I insist to wait for the fine from the authority in my home's mailbox, and if I did commit that violation, I will pay - both fine and the admin fee to Hertz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.