Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Dusseldorf Airport - 9 hours to spare

Dusseldorf Airport - 9 hours to spare

Old Aug 20, 17, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Dusseldorf Airport - 9 hours to spare

Hi all,

My Dad and I will be arriving at Dusseldorf Airport on Sun at 0630hrs on an SQ flight. Our next flight is the very same day at 1555hrs on an Eurowings flight. We've got a good 9hours to spare. I booked these two flights separately, and if I am not wrong, both airlines are at Terminal A (yes?).

Depending how my Dad is after the flight, we will either remain in the airport to get some rest, or attempt to wander around Dusseldorf for a few hours before returning.

A few queries, please:
  1. Are we allowed to remain in the transit area for that 9 hours and find a lounge (we've two free priority passes) where we could take a snooze, eat and wash-up?
  2. ...or do we have to collect our luggages and exit from the transit area and wait until two hours before our Eurowings flight before we check in again?
  3. Are there any short tours we can hop on for that 9 hours? What about our luggages?
  4. Is there anyplace within Dusseldorf airport where we can deposit our luggage safely, and at what cost?
  5. What's the best way for us to enter into the city area from the airport and vice-versa?

Any advice is warmly welcomed.

Thanks!

Regards,
Eunique
Old Aug 21, 17, 3:57 pm
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, QR, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Welcome to flyertalk, eunique.

It would help to know the destination of your EW flight.

You'll arrive with SQ from SIN and if you're flying EW to a European/Schengen area destination you'll have to clear immigration anyhow, but don't have to do that within a certain timeframe. If you have luggage and you're on two different tickets you'll better claim your luggage after arrival - otherwise it will probably go into storage and you might not be able to claim it from there easily at any time. After luggage claim you'd have to leave airside and procede to landside EW checkin to check your luggage for the next flight which may or may not be available up untill 3 hours before this flight leaves. Only after checking your luggage you can enter airside again, so you might well end up spending a few hours landside in a restaurant or at an airport hotel. If you can checkin your luggage at an early time you might also consider taking a short train ride into Düsseldorf city and enjoy the main shopping area or a stroll along Rhine promenade.
Old Aug 21, 17, 4:03 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
On a Sunday shopping area is not that exciting.
Old Aug 22, 17, 10:42 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
There are luggage lockers at Düsseldorf Hbf (Main train station).

Normally, I'd say head to the Altstadt and sample the local beers at 4 different brewery taps, but early Sunday morning is not the best time as places won't open until 10 or 11am.

You could go for a walk along the Rhine (assuming it's not the dead of winter).

You'd take the train from the airport to Düsseldorf Hbf and then the U-Bahn (subway/metro) three stops to Heinrich Heine All
Old Aug 23, 17, 2:56 pm

Programs: most of them
there's lots of trains to other nearby towns and cities as well. Granted the longer the train ride the less time you'd have in any particular place, but arriving that early on a Sunday morning there won't be a huge amount to do anywhere.
Old Aug 23, 17, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
Normally, I'd say head to the Altstadt and sample the local beers at 4 different brewery taps, but early Sunday morning is not the best time as places won't open until 10 or 11am.

This sounds like a great plan, and the opening are actually much more suitable to the OP's timeline: Füchsen opens at 9am, and the others at 10. Have a walk on the Rhine, then sample the beers and/or eat a snack, then back to airport.

Originally Posted by glennaa11 View Post
there's lots of trains to other nearby towns and cities as well. Granted the longer the train ride the less time you'd have in any particular place, but arriving that early on a Sunday morning there won't be a huge amount to do anywhere.
As you already pointed out, there will most likely be very little to do anywhere in this timeframe. Leaving Düsseldorf makes no sense really.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Aug 24, 17, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner View Post
Welcome to flyertalk, eunique.

It would help to know the destination of your EW flight.
Thank you for the welcome, @ralfkrippner! My destination would be Lisbon. Thanks for the tips, seem like I do have to collect my luggage and proceed out of the airside on to the landside first.
Old Aug 24, 17, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
On a Sunday shopping area is not that exciting.
Pity, that saddens the Singaporean Shopper in me
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
There are luggage lockers at Düsseldorf Hbf (Main train station).

You'd take the train from the airport to Düsseldorf Hbf and then the U-Bahn (subway/metro) three stops to Heinrich Heine All
Aha! Luggage lockers – that's a very helpful information! Thank you! Any idea how much they cost for how long?

We'll be there in September Perhaps some breakfast first; we'll lay off the beer for the morning. A walk along the Rhine sounds delightful!
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by glennaa11 View Post
Thank you! Any Catholic churches nearby with Sunday morning Mass? =)
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpia View Post
This sounds like a great plan, and the opening are actually much more suitable to the OP's timeline: Füchsen opens at 9am, and the others at 10. Have a walk on the Rhine, then sample the beers and/or eat a snack, then back to airport.
Lovely! Something to consider. Thank you!
Old Aug 24, 17, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by eunique View Post
Thank you! Any Catholic churches nearby with Sunday morning Mass? =)
There are plenty of those in Düsseldorf around the airport, happy to look up details for you. But you might actually want to consider the sunday mass at the Kölner Dom (Cologne Cathedral). You would aim for the 9 or 10 o'clock service. You'd be spending more time traveling than doing anything else, but then again, the Cathedral itself is already a unesco world heritage site and worth a visit. Might be a once in a lifetime experience. Again, happy to help with logistics if you consider going there.
Old Aug 25, 17, 4:24 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Both flights will depart from terminal A.

Regarding Priority Pass: The Hugo Junkers Lounge is located in terminal B, which is connected by walkway from / to terminal A. But you will have to clear immigration and security and pick up your luggage if SQ in SIN is not able to route them to your final destinations LIS. As far as I know shower facilities are available. The Sheraton Hotel - connected to the terminal - also offers rooms for day use (just in case).

My recommendation would be to try to check your luggage to LIS before heading into town. This should be possible as the counters of Eurowings are usually staffed the whole day and DUS could "park" the luggage till departure.

Luggage storage is available at DUS on the ground floor or parking garage 3 (https://www.dus.com/en/services/gepaeck/left-luggage) for 4,50 EUR / day / piece of luggage up to 30kg.

There are plenty of options to travel into downtown Düsseldorf.
The most easiest would be take the S-Bahn (S 11) from Düsseldorf Airport Terminal A/B/C to Düsseldorf main station (Hauptbahnhof) and from there any subway (e.g. U 76, U 78, U 79) in direction Heinrich-Heine-Allee. There you are in the heart of downtown Düsseldorf and be able to walk to either Königsallee (for window shopping) or the river Rhine. Depending on the weather you could walk toward the area called "Medienhafen" with modern buildings.

I am not so much a church goer myself, so cannot comment on this. But I would recommend not to travel to Cologne and visit the Dom on a Sunday.

Information about public transportation is available on http://www.rheinbahn.com/Seiten/default.aspx or http://www.vrr.de/en/index.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: