Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for Augsburg

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Recommendations for Augsburg

Going to visit a friend in Augsburg at the end of September for a long weekend (~4 days), any suggestions of what to do in Augsburg and if I had a single day to make a trip where should I go that isn't too out of the way?

Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on your interests, if you have a car, consider either Dachau or Hitler's Eagles Nest. The latter closes for the season, but I think late September should be OK. I'm not sure whether you would consider these places to be too out of the way or not, but to me they're unique and not really easy to do by public transportation, so my instinct would be to take advantage of the opportunity.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Depending on your interests, if you have a car, consider either Dachau or Hitler's Eagles Nest. The latter closes for the season, but I think late September should be OK. I'm not sure whether you would consider these places to be too out of the way or not, but to me they're unique and not really easy to do by public transportation, so my instinct would be to take advantage of the opportunity.
Please allow a direct question: Do several US Americans only think about Nazi history when coming to Germany? The Kehlsteinhaus (what you guys call Eagle's nest) ist 250 km from Augsburg. Dachau is one of the smaller concentration camps and it was a Nazi prison, not a copy of Auschwitz. It is, if one wants to do it, 50 km away from Augsburg.

But honestly, your American fascination for the Nazi area is a bit disturbing for many of us here in Germany. How would the normal middle class US American feel if one would narrow of focus of the United States to slavery crimes, civil war, Guantanamo and the native Indian genocide? The US has so much more and so has Germany: a country with 2000 years of history and culture does not deserve to be limited to 12 years of its 2000 years.

And what fascinates me too: You Americans have a tendency to arrive somewhere with the intention to go on a another day trip traveling 500 km. Why that? There is so much to see in Augsburg and when you want to go somewhere else, Ulm is very close and Munich is very close.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Jul 27, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:11 pm

Here's an idea: The local first division soccer team, FC Augsburg, has a home game the last weekend of September. Doesn't matter if you enjoy the sport, it's quite an experience if you haven't been to a match before. Game will be sold out which adds to the fun.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by gpia
Here's an idea: The local first division soccer team, FC Augsburg, has a home game the last weekend of September. Doesn't matter if you enjoy the sport, it's quite an experience if you haven't been to a match before. Game will be sold out which adds to the fun.
Yes my friend has season tickets and we are both avid soccer(football) fans, will have to see if they are playing when I am there, maybe even a Pokal game.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
Yes my friend has season tickets and we are both avid soccer(football) fans, will have to see if they are playing when I am there, maybe even a Pokal game.
There won't be a cup game any time near when you're there. They are home on the last weekend of September vs Dortmund which should be fun, when I watched Augsburg vs Schalke a couple of years ago Brauhaus 1516 by the Hbf was decent for a couple of beers before heading to the stadium, which is in the middle of nowhere
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I would recommend to visit the Fuggerei. Augsburg was the home town to the Fugger Family. The Fugger Family was one of the richest European familyies in the 15th and 16th century and one of the founders of modern banking.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Please allow a direct question: Do several US Americans only think about Nazi history when coming to Germany? The Kehlsteinhaus (what you guys call Eagle's nest) ist 250 km from Augsburg. Dachau is one of the smaller concentration camps and it was a Nazi prison, not a copy of Auschwitz. It is, if one wants to do it, 50 km away from Augsburg.

But honestly, your American fascination for the Nazi area is a bit disturbing for many of us here in Germany. How would the normal middle class US American feel if one would narrow of focus of the United States to slavery crimes, civil war, Guantanamo and the native Indian genocide? The US has so much more and so has Germany: a country with 2000 years of history and culture does not deserve to be limited to 12 years of its 2000 years.

And what fascinates me too: You Americans have a tendency to arrive somewhere with the intention to go on a another day trip traveling 500 km. Why that? There is so much to see in Augsburg and when you want to go somewhere else, Ulm is very close and Munich is very close.
+1
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
Originally Posted by LondonElite
+1
+2

Important as it is to know about that era in order to learn from it (more necessary than ever in nowadays' world!!!), I have little understanding for those who call themselves "history buffs", limit history to twelve years, and declare that thes "love" World War II history - which means they love mass murder, oppression and destruction???
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: FT
Some pretty sensitive and judgmental people on a persons suggestions?

I like WW2 history but think it is a little jerky to suggest I must therefore love mass murder, oppression and destruction.

I also like religious history so I can only imagine this must mean I am an unbalanced psychopath who loves fair tails and fiction?

All have their own ideas of what others might like and not like.

Sure, I don't know why people want to do some things they do when they come and visit my city, but hey, what ever they want to do, that is fine with me.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
We are used to people from outside Germany not understanding our sentiments about this sensitive topic. So abuse me if you want but you won't change my opinion.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Kathrin
We are used to people from outside Germany not understanding our sentiments about this sensitive topic. So abuse me if you want but you won't change my opinion.
I think I'm saying I don't care what your opinion is. Just like I don't care what others opinions are. I don't care if I change your opinion or not.

I don't know you, where you came from, your situation, your personal situation, political views, attachment to the war or not etc. I think that's my point. For me to suggest I can change you is exactly why I don't judge anyone on what they like or don't like.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:54 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Please let's keep to the topic and away from personal comments

ralfkrippner,
forum co-moderator
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:16 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
If you're there beginning of Sept. up untill the 10th plan an afternoon/evening at the local fun fair "Herbstplärrer" in the city, which is the largest fair in Swabia.

I think a day or two for the city which is one of the oldest in Germany and has a lot to show out of the 1500 and 1600 times around the 30 years war and the times of the Fugger should be included.

If you're into lovely scenery plan for a day trip south by train or car. I would advise either castle Hohenschwangau and Füssen town or a trip via lovely Walchensee to Garmisch Partenkirchen. A bit farther (so probably rather a 2 day trip) would be the inclusion of the austrian Lech valley and Oberstdorf/Immenstadt for the Hohenschwangau tour or Innsbruck and Achensee or the Stubai Valley in Austria on the Walchensee trip.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Yes I've been to the Fruggerei and found it to be quite worthwhile. The Augsburg town hall is also worth a visit--there is an entrance fee of a few euros. I enjoyed just walking around the inner city actually. There are many possibilities for a day trip. Munich is the most obvious one as there is so much there. A few weeks ago I was in the Munich area and did a day trip in Ingolstadt which I recommend. There's a lot of history and museums and such in the city. It is also the home to Audi and a museum, though didn't have time to get there. Stuttgart isn't far either, I guess an hour by train from Augsburg. Stuttgart has the Mercedes-Daimler museum while Munich has the BMW museum/works. I've also spent a lot of time in the Starnberg area. It is nice little town next to a lake, so good outdoor activities but has an excellent art museum there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.