FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   lockers in train stations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1853295-lockers-train-stations.html)

eng3 Jul 12, 2017 10:06 am

lockers in train stations

Do most train stations have lockers?
I'll be traveling to stuttgart (specifically Böblingen station) to visit the mercedes museum. My time is a little tight afterwards so it would be convenient to be able to store my luggage at that station. I know that the stuttgart main station has lockers but it is less convenient to go all the way up there first.

bruce80 Jul 12, 2017 10:43 am

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 28551573)
Do most train stations have lockers?
I'll be traveling to stuttgart (specifically Böblingen station) to visit the mercedes museum. My time is a little tight afterwards so it would be convenient to be able to store my luggage at that station. I know that the stuttgart main station has lockers but it is less convenient to go all the way up there first.

Why are you traveling to Böblingen in order to see the Mercedes museum? Böblingen (resp. Sindelfingen) only has production plants, the museum is instead located in Untertürkheim, which is a borough of Stuttgart.

In order to get there, you change in Stuttgart Hbf to the S1 line direction Plochingen/Kirchheim and get off at "Neckarpark" (the second stop on the line).

Luggage lockers are available in Stuttgart Hbf, just follw the signage to the S-Bahn and when you get to the elevator down to the S-Bahn tracks, the lockers are located in the hall directly behind the elevator. However, I'd suggest not to take the elevator down (there might be quite some wait) but instead walk out of the locker hall onto the street, turn right, walk down the stairs and then turn left. Once you leave the corridor into a more open subway shopping area, turn left again and down the escalators to the S-Bahn station.

eng3 Jul 12, 2017 11:37 am

Sorry, I mean the mercedes factory tour. The bus picks up at the Böblingen station.

I know there are lockers at the Stuttgart Hbf. I'd like to know if there are lockers at the S-bahn stations. Specifically Böblingen station.

bruce80 Jul 12, 2017 12:54 pm

According to bahnhof.de, Böblingen does not feature lockers.

However, as a general note to anyone who might stumble upon this thread while looking for an answer to the question as to whether a certain station has lockers or not, I can tell that usually stations that are only being served by S-Bahn usually don't have lockers, while the chance for other stations where RE, IC or ICE trains are stopping, chances should be higher. However, that is not a guarantee, as Böblingen, for example, is a station with RE and IC connections, but doesn't seem to have lockers. The best bet should be a search on bahnhof.de (only available in german, though).

eng3 Jul 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks for the link.

My hotel is near the airport area. I plan to checkout, goto the factory tour in the morning, then head up to the main station for a train to paris. The timing between the tour and the train to paris is a little tight so it would be nice if I didn't have to go back to my hotel to pickup my bag and leave the bag some place between Böblingen and the main station

If there is no locker in Böblingen, then I think my best alternative is to leave earlier before my tour, take the train up to the main station, drop my bag in a locker, the take the train down to Böblingen for my tour.

bruce80 Jul 13, 2017 10:03 am

Unfortunately, Stuttgart-Vaihingen also doesn't have lockers, otherwise that might have been an option as well (because you'll have to change there anyway when coming from the direction of the airport or Leinfelden/-Echterdingen and going to Böblingen) and you would only have lost about 10 minutes on your way back in order to collect the bag and take the next S-Bahn towards Stuttgart.