Wiki Posts
Search

Arrival lounges at Dusseldorf Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold
Arrival lounges at Dusseldorf Airport

I wonder if someone might be able to advise whether there are decent arrival shower facilities available at DUS? I'm flying into DUS on SQ J early morning, and would like a shower before going landside for the day, before catching a Schengen BA flight that evening.

Based on a search, the Hugo Junkers lounge (some renovation work going on) has a shower but in terminal B. I'm not sure if I arrive in a diff terminal but looks to be C. Star Alliance apparently does not offer arrival lounge access but I can use my Priority Pass for the Hugo lounge.

Separately, any advice on a quick day trip itinerary to the city would also be most welcome!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by tingadingling
I wonder if someone might be able to advise whether there are decent arrival shower facilities available at DUS? I'm flying into DUS on SQ J early morning, and would like a shower before going landside for the day, before catching a Schengen BA flight that evening.

Based on a search, the Hugo Junkers lounge (some renovation work going on) has a shower but in terminal B. I'm not sure if I arrive in a diff terminal but looks to be C. Star Alliance apparently does not offer arrival lounge access but I can use my Priority Pass for the Hugo lounge.

Separately, any advice on a quick day trip itinerary to the city would also be most welcome!
You should be able to reach Hugo Junkers without problems. I never used the showers before but they have one. Renovation work doesn´t affect you.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Although it's not in Dusseldorf proper, I tend to visit the very likable steakhouse Gut Jaegerhof in Erkrath. Was shown this by local friends and it's worth going for the atmosphere alone.

Good food and a beautiful summer terrace with views over the (well, obviously) historic Neanderthal.

http://www.gut-jaegerhof.de

http://www.gut-jaegerhof.de/site/......sh_all_2mb.pdf
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
You should be able to reach Hugo Junkers without problems. I never used the showers before but they have one. Renovation work doesn´t affect you.
Great, just the advice I needed. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
Although it's not in Dusseldorf proper, I tend to visit the very likable steakhouse Gut Jaegerhof in Erkrath. Was shown this by local friends and it's worth going for the atmosphere alone.

Good food and a beautiful summer terrace with views over the (well, obviously) historic Neanderthal.

You've struck a weakness of mine, steaks. Shall certainly pay a visit if time allows. Thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
You should be able to reach Hugo Junkers without problems.
Someone should probably tell the OP how to find the Junkers Lounge after their arrival.. Here we go:

I'm not sure wherer you'll arrive clean or unclean from SIN, but if you'll arrive unclean, you should follow the signage to transit security (not sure whether they are going to check for an onward BP, though) and then down to the main level of the concourse. Should you arrive clean, you'll already be on the main level.
Walk towards exit/baggage reclaim, but under no circumstances leave the clean area. Just as you see the gates to leave the clean area (and have passed by a huge SIXT ad to your right), there will be a few steps leading up to your right, along with signage (easily missed) towards concourse B and the lounge. Walk up the stairs and down the corridor. Once you arrive in concourse B, take the stairs/elevator right across the concourse to the upper floor. The lounge can be found down another small corridor in the corner just next to the security checkpoint, near the top of the stairs you'll use.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bruce80
Someone should probably tell the OP how to find the Junkers Lounge after their arrival.. Here we go:

I'm not sure wherer you'll arrive clean or unclean from SIN, but if you'll arrive unclean, you should follow the signage to transit security (not sure whether they are going to check for an onward BP, though) and then down to the main level of the concourse. Should you arrive clean, you'll already be on the main level.
Walk towards exit/baggage reclaim, but under no circumstances leave the clean area. Just as you see the gates to leave the clean area (and have passed by a huge SIXT ad to your right), there will be a few steps leading up to your right, along with signage (easily missed) towards concourse B and the lounge. Walk up the stairs and down the corridor. Once you arrive in concourse B, take the stairs/elevator right across the concourse to the upper floor. The lounge can be found down another small corridor in the corner just next to the security checkpoint, near the top of the stairs you'll use.
Very helpful, thanks. Looks like the flight arrives at terminal C. First time I've read the clean/unclean categorisation used.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Very helpful, thanks. Looks like the flight arrives at terminal C. First time I've read the clean/unclean categorisation used.
Don't believe this was related to your looking for a shower because you are unclean when you arrive!

It's more about whether on that transfer at DUS you are considered safe in terms of security (aka clean) or not so (aka unclean). The latter would require you to pass through security again at DUS even if you manage to stay to stay airside, the former would not.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Don't believe this was related to your looking for a shower because you are unclean when you arrive!

It's more about whether on that transfer at DUS you are considered safe in terms of security (aka clean) or not so (aka unclean). The latter would require you to pass through security again at DUS even if you manage to stay to stay airside, the former would not.
So I gathered! I suspect unclean, since I'd be inbound on an int'l flight, though with a separately booked domestic flight to the UK. Not sure how it would be determined?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mosburger

Thank you very much as well. Have been looking for a place that looks decent for steaks for past year (albeit I wasn't looking that hard).
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
So I gathered! I suspect unclean, since I'd be inbound on an int'l flight, though with a separately booked domestic flight to the UK. Not sure how it would be determined?
Not actually a domestic flight, I'm afraid:

UK is not part of Germany

you are on an international flight to UK

UK is not part of Schengen

From what I can remember of DUS (and I have only been there once this year), the Hugo Junker Lounge is actually in the Schengen area.
So if you want to go there you would have to enter Schengen at some time, go to the lounge and then leave Schengen again on your way to UK.
The BA gates are in a small part of Terminal B past passport control for those leaving Schengen.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jul 18, 2017 at 10:48 pm Reason: edited to "Hugo Junker" instead of abbreviation
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
From what I can remember of DUS (and I have only been there once this year), the Hugo Junkers Lounge is actually in the Schengen area.
So if you want to go there you would have to enter Schengen at some time, go to the lounge and then leave Schengen again on your way to UK.
The BA gates are in a small part of Terminal B past passport control for those leaving Schengen.
That is correct, even though the lounge is located on the non-Schengen level of concourse B, it is actually before passport control (i.e. within Schengen).

Additionally, it is not possible to pass from concourse A (should you arrive there as I would expect for a *A carrier, but then, CX is also arriving in concourse A instead of the OneWorld concourse C) to concourse B without entering Schengen, and I believe that this is also not possible between concourses C and B.

Additionally, there used to be a few gates in concourse B that are only accessible from the Schengen concourse despite serving non-Schengen flights - in this case passport control is conducted directly at the gate. Anyway, be prepared to immigrate into Schengen independently of whether you'll use the lounge or not.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jul 18, 2017 at 10:49 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Update on this topic, having passed through DUS. The door between concourses is hard to find - I missed it myself despite the helpful instructions - but I can review the lounge and shower. The lounge was extremely packed on a business day afternoon at around 3pm, with very few available seats. That said the shower wasn't used, I suspect due to mostly short haul business travellers not requiring it. Food and drink selection was also decent. Would use it again but note seat availability may be constrained during peak travel periods.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:46 am

If you are a nature lover, the Nordpark & Konigsallee are best to explore. See below images:
Attached Images   
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler
If you are a nature lover, the Nordpark & Konigsallee are best to explore. See below images:
Wouldn't consider Königsallee nature, but a nice place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.