Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Upper Middle Rhine? 1 Day - Berlin 24 hours - MUC 2 Days - Thoughts?

Old Jul 5, 17, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT

I have a meeting in FRA. Well, just outside of FRA in early Sept.

I fly into FRA on a Sunday at 8 am. So I have probably from then until about 2pm the next day before I have to be back to be picked up to go to my meetings.

I have a hotel booked in FRA Sunday night but wonder whether it makes more sense to perhaps visit the upper middle Rhine valley and stay some place there before taking the train back on Monday to FRA. Perhaps Rüdesheim or Mainz? They are pretty pricey. Some sort of conference on.

It sounds like it would be a good plan to take the train from the airport to Koblenz and then take a boat up river back towards Bingen.

Then wondering where might be a good place for the night. I currently have the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof for 349Euro so I would be willing to spend a decent amount on a nice property in a city along the way?

I do like wine but know only a little about German wines. I have had many Dönnhoff and would love to visit but they are closed on Sunday and I am less interested in tasting wine per se than experiencing the area and the geography.

I would not consider myself the best expert on Germany wine.

I have searched around but wonder if there is some specific thoughts?

I know booking the trains are pretty easy and I suspect boats are also.

Are their private boat providers for solo's or is the best bet to get on one of the larger boats back?

I have only started looking at this stuff so if this is like the 50,000th thread on the same thing, just tell me to look and then come back when I have put a little effort in..

After my meetings I fly to Berlin for about 24 hours before going to MUC where I have two days, the first is to visit MUC and the second day will be at Oktoberfest and then fly home the next day.

Still not sure what I will do in Berlin either. First time. I am a little bit of a WW2 buff but suspect I will have not a whole heck of a lot of times to see too much.

Staying at Grand Hyatt Berlin and then fly to MUC early next morning and staying in basically what ever I could find for a reasonable amount. Likely the Westin Grand.

One thing I do want to do in MUC is to visit Dachau which I could probably do on the way from the airport in although I would have to sort out what to do with my carry on although could just roll it with me to avoid doubling back.

Any ideas are always appreciated.

I am less interested in art and museums (having been exhausted after my trip in Italy in May).

Love to eat and drink - I am alcohol agnostic? i mean, i like all forms of the same...
Old Jul 6, 17, 3:42 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
If you are interested in WWII the NS Dokumentationszentrum Munich could be an option. Also many stuff in Berlin like Wilhelmstraße 49
Old Jul 6, 17, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

I now have varied opinions about which direction to take the ferry. Some say the best stretch is between Bacharach and St. Goar for limited time or if you have more, go from Rudesheim all the way to Boppard.

Going the opposite direction is much longer if I don't have a lot of time.

So perhaps FRA Airport to Bacharach to St. Goar by boat and train back to Rudesheim and then stay at this place Burg Schwarzenstein? Then back to FRA Main so I can be carted off to my meeting.

Or the alternative is to spend the night in Rudesheim? Or perhaps another city that allows me to visit something in the AM before I have to catch a train to FRA Main.

For example, instead of Schwarzenstein, possibly Oberwesel and the Castle Schonburg.

[BTW, should mention that I am on my own if it makes a difference]

Last edited by mkjr; Jul 6, 17 at 1:09 pm
Old Jul 7, 17, 5:24 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
I have done this route many times with different friends and family members.

The best part is between Rudesheim/Bingen to Rhens.

But if you go to Rhens then you might as well go to Koblenz. I always suggest going downstream (towards Koblenz) because it is significantly quicker. And in the end you have enough time to view the scenario and 4 hours on a boat is long enough (Rudesheim -> Koblenz).

Bear in mind if it is a weekend in Summer the boat will probably be very busy! So to be sure to grab a seat outside you need to get on in Rudesheim. And if you are not on early you might not be at the edge. But this varies depending on which boat it is.

I would also suggest spending some time in Koblenz, it is a nice city and you can visit the "Deutsches Eck" (Meeting of the Rhein and Mosellle rivers) and Castle Ehrenbreitstein (reachable via cable car from close to when the boat trips finish. This you can do in the afternoon after your boat trip, and then head back.

Then you can either spend the night in Rudesheim or Frankfurt. I would suggest Rudesheim if you want to mix with the tourists, which will be mostly German. Or head back to Frankfurt for your meeting the next day.

I would suggest it only makes sense to stay in Mainz if you intend to spend some time looking around the city.
Old Jul 7, 17, 6:51 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
If you are interested in wine areas, you should visit the Rheingau. It starts Hochheim and goes on the right side of the Rhine up to the city of Lorch. What you can do is to take a trip on a KD-Ship Köln-Düsseldorfer. They have larger ships going up and down the Rhine. Just go for example all the way up to Lorch and from there go back by train to Frankfurt. Alternatively do a trip to Kloster Eberbach Kloster Eberbach. The movie "In the name of the rose" with Sean Connery was filmed there. They sell also excellent wine (mainly Riesling). The monastery is part of the state winery of the state of Hessen.

In Berlin you can do guided underground tours through old WWII bunkers. http://www.berliner-unterwelten.de/en.html

From Munich Airport to Dachau is bit a way. You need to take the S-bahn into town and change there to Dachau. Best probably take the S1 to Laim and change there onto the S2 to Dachau. Or you go to main station and put your luggage in one of the lockers there.

Suggestions for Munich are the Deutsche Museum (it is a bit the like the Smithsonian), the Residenz (the place were the bavarian kings lived in Munich) with its treasury is very interesting, a stroll over the Viktualien market is a must, the 1972 summer olympics park is nice, a walk through English Garden is also a must, the typical tour starts at the Eisbach Welle (the place were all the surfers are, because the small river there has natural surf wave) towards the Chinese Tower beer garden. If you are into cars the BMW museum is very interesting.

Hope this gives you some inspiration.
Old Jul 7, 17, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Much appreciated. I was trying to figure out how to combine the upper middle section and also the Rheingau.

I do like wines form Weingut Robert Weil. I had a look at my books and the area is exactly where you note. And it also looks like they are not so far from Kloster Eberbach so I could hit them both.

I was wondering about taking the train from FRA to Bigen (depending on timing and picking up the KD-Ship to St. Goar) or Bacharach (and visiting either or both places depending on timing).

Then go back by train and spend the night at Burghotel Auf Schoenburg. Then visit in Rheingau the next morning leaving early and then taking the train back and crossing to Rudesheim.

The alternative would be to do the reverse but end up in Oberwesel later. Looks like the latest I could catch the KD is 15:15 from Bacharach or 14:30 in Bingen.

I shall look into the other tips for Munich and Berlin.
Old Jul 8, 17, 12:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Best Hotel is probably Burg Rheinstein
Old Jul 8, 17, 4:04 pm
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
Best Hotel is probably Burg Rheinstein
Can't find rooms on their website Do you mean Reichenstein?
Old Jul 8, 17, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might be interested in the Checkpoint Charlie museum in Berlin.

Also, there's a brewery at MUC airport, landside in the outdoor courtyard commercial area, near the grocery store, It has a pub type restaurant and offers reasonable food at reasonable prices.
Old Jul 8, 17, 11:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Can't find rooms on their website Do you mean Reichenstein?
Sorry. Rheinfels
http://www.schloss-rheinfels.de

Translated into English the names are identical.
Old Jul 9, 17, 2:29 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Sorry. Rheinfels

OK, only visitd the ruin once. Very nice place
Old Jul 10, 17, 4:59 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
I definitely like your plan of combining Weingut Robert Weil and Kloster Eberbach.

If I may add another idea: You could rent a convertible (still fine in September, global warming and all) at FRA airport (e.g. SIXT has some nice ones). Then you can drive down the Rhine through wine country and stop at the wineries and abbeys.

And you could reach the Relais & Chateaux property "Johann Lafers Stromburg". Owned by famous German TV chef. Quite a cool castle with fine dining.

And as you said, Burg Schwarzenstein would be a nice R&C hotel too.

Btw, for a next Germany trip you could go a little further south, where you find the Dönnhof winery in the Nahe wine region and a lot more on two German wine roads (trip report on my blog).

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 10, 17, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by lightwalker View Post

And you could reach the Relais & Chateaux property "Johann Lafers Stromburg". Owned by famous German TV chef. Quite a cool castle with fine dining.
Not a good idea. Hotels is currently (?) closed and the Stromburg is far away from the river. Restaurant is certainly not bad, but not worth the hype.
Old Jul 10, 17, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Sorry. Rheinfels

Thanks. I have seen some mixed views of this hotel.

I do plan to visit the castle but that is where I have understood that so does everyone who is not staying there. That is why I am considering Hotel Schönburg instead and Burg Schwarzenstein although I am trying to see how to make Schwarzenstein work with limited timing....and there are a few negatives I am reading about Schönburg but perhaps in September will not be a big issue.

Much appreciate all the ideas.
Old Jul 10, 17, 9:10 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
Not a good idea. Hotels is currently (?) closed and the Stromburg is far away from the river. Restaurant is certainly not bad, but not worth the hype.
Only 20 minutes from Bingen, possibly through a nice countryside

I didn't know it was closed. I just checked the website and it says the hotel is indeed closed for renovation until October 2017.

The fine dining restaurant re-opened in June 2017, though.

Search this Thread