Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

3.5 hrs at FRA - enough time to leave terminal?

Old Jun 26, 17, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, DL

I overlap with a friend for about 3.5 hrs at FRA. Will there be enough time to leave the terminal?

We're both US citizens traveling USA to non schenegen EU on LH. I've read one should be at FRA 2 or 3 hours prior depending, but cannot determine which applies in my case.

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 17, 1:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Being at FRA about 60 mins before departure is enough.
Old Jun 27, 17, 1:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
In this case, the question is what you can do during the layover. There is basically nothing to do around the airport, and you should calculate a total travel time (incl. walking) to Frankfurt Hbf of 30min each way. If you want to be back 1 hour before departure, this will leave you with 90 minutes to spend in Frankfurt (if immigration etc. will be quick).

I wouldn't be so sure what to do during that time, I have once done exactly this in Vienna, and basically, I didn't get to see much and had rather stayed in the terminal (even though that's quite boring as well).
Old Jun 27, 17, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It's sometimes taken me 45 minutes to transfer when coming from the U.S.

I wouldn't bother trying to leave the airport, just to find out there's very little worth doing in the area for all of the 2 hours you may have to do something. Just find a bite to eat and a beer while you catch up with your friend.

You are on LH, if by chance you have access to the Senator's lounge through status or ticket class, it's a very easy way to pass a couple hours.
Old Jun 28, 17, 7:42 am

If the weather is good and you are interested in planes etc., the visitor terrace could also be a good place. Sure, you have to leave the secure area and go through security again afterwards, but at least it's a quick ride with the SkyLine.
Old Jun 28, 17, 8:01 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Here's another option: if it's really only about meeting and chatting to someone, and you don't care about doing all the immigration and securitx hassle, you should probably go over to the long distance train station (a quick walk of about 500m from/to your gate which is completely indoor) and go to one of the restaurants in the building ("The Squaire") on top of the station. This will probably be more pleasant than staying in the main terminal, as the building is quite airy and there's enough daylight, very much unlike the situation in the terminal.
Old Jun 28, 17, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by bruce80 View Post
you should probably go over to "The Squaire".
This is what I was considering doing!
Old Jul 5, 17, 3:16 am

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
The Squaire is nice, and has a few restaurants and coffee places, but so does the main terminal. Make it dependent on the time you have.
Most likely you'll have to go through security anyway (not sure though - FRA being my home base, I haven't transited there in years), so it won't make a big difference if you go out through immigration, or on through transit security.
The advantage of The Squaire is that coffee/beer prices are regular, not the inflated airport prices you pay in the main terminal. Also, you can grab some German chocolates or bread there, at the REWE supermarket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: