FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   BA to QR in TXL airport? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1841946-ba-qr-txl-airport.html)

ms101 May 11, 2017 6:06 am

BA to QR in TXL airport?

Hello!

I just bought a QR ticket ex-Berlin and I'll be needing to get to Berlin first from London :D So this is two separate tickets with two different booking references!

My flight from Berlin to Doha is at 22.15

I have a choice of arriving at TXL on BA from LHR at:

Keeping in mind BA won't guarantee that I'll be able to check my luggage all the way to KUL, (thus having to go through immigration, pick up my luggage, and go through check in again) which is the best flight to take?

Similarly, on my inbound flight, I am scheduled to arrive on QR at TXL at 11.35am. QR has a policy of checking in baggage all the way even on separate tickets (hopefully the check in staff at KUL get this memo)

I could take the flight that departs TXL-LON at:

12.15pm (40 minutes)
13.35pm (2 hours)

Basically, what's the MCT when it comes to going through immigration, collecting baggage, checking in again etc? Unless it's an airport like KUL where you automatically just go to your new gate while on transit :D

Much thanks!

fransknorge May 11, 2017 6:53 am

Due to the layout at TXL, where you have to check immigration anyway and with baggage claim at the gates, I would take the 20.00 arriving in TXL, leaving some wiggle room in case of delay.
For the return, 13:35pm as a 40 min is really cutting it close.

ms101 May 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 28297385)
Due to the layout at TXL, where you have to check immigration anyway and with baggage claim at the gates, I would take the 20.00 arriving in TXL, leaving some wiggle room in case of delay.
For the return, 13:35pm as a 40 min is really cutting it close.

thank you so much for your advice! On average, how long does it take you to go through immigration and reclaim baggage?

fransknorge May 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Usually less than 20 minutes.

N104UA May 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by ms101 (Post 28299616)
thank you so much for your advice! On average, how long does it take you to go through immigration and reclaim baggage?

Depends on the staffing at immigration I once stood in line for 30min

LondonElite May 18, 2017 10:15 pm

How risk averse are you?

You are on separate tickets so concepts like MCT and connection are not applicable; if you do not show up for your QR flight the whole ticket will be cancelled and QR will not accommodate you on another flight. BA will 100% not check you through to DOH, nor anywhere else on separate tickets. It is almost certain that they won't accept a through check in the return, though there have been mixed reports.

I personally would go out the day before. You obviously bought separate tickets to save money, so you may wish to play it safe by padding in some extra time. Or take a morning flight and explore Berlin a little. The actual arrival/collection/checkin/security doesn't take much time at all at TXL. Your concern is a cancelled or delayed BA flight with limited possibility to accommodate you on the next flight.