Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Long Layover FRA - Stadtwald

Old May 10, 17, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, British Airways, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest

Hi,

My husband and I have an overnight layover in FRA coming up in a couple of weeks. We'll arrive at about 3:30 in the afternoon on a Saturday, stay at the Hilton in the airport overnight, and leave the following morning.

We plan to visit downtown of course, just to wander around and enjoy being in Frankfurt. However, I read about this wonderful-looking park called Stadtwald that is apparently near the airport. Would love to visit here (probably solo, as DH doesn't share my love of the outdoors), but can't find much info on how to get there.

Can I walk there from the airport? It is easily accessible on public transportation (either from airport or downtown)?

Thanks much for any suggestions!
Old May 10, 17, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Stadtwald is a generic term for a city-owned forest, so in this case you're specifically looking for the Frankfurter Stadtwald.

I wouldn't consider it walkable from the airport. It's easily accessed from downtown via the #14 or #17 trams (Straßenbahn) to Oberschweinstiege.
Old May 10, 17, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, British Airways, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
Stadtwald is a generic term for a city-owned forest, so in this case you're specifically looking for the Frankfurter Stadtwald.

I wouldn't consider it walkable from the airport. It's easily accessed from downtown via the #14 or #17 trams (Straßenbahn) to Oberschweinstiege.
That would explain why none of my searches turned up anything useful. Obviously my German is seriously lacking . Hopefully I'll pick up a few more German words before the trip.

Thanks for the clarification & info.
Old May 10, 17, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT
A bit more info:

Apparently the outbound side of the Oberschweinstiege stop is undergoing construction, so trams are not stopping there as of yesterday. You'll have to take the tram one stop further and get back on going the other way. Alternatively, just get off at the last stop and enter from the south end of the park on Darmstadter Landstraße.

You and DH should be able to get individual day tickets for around €10 each if you want to split up, or ~€17 if he's just going to walk around town. That'll cover your journey to/from the airport and around town on local trains, trams, and buses. The tariff system is a bit confusing, so just type your destination into the RMV ticket machine when you arrive and it will spit out options. (Was much easier when I had an unlimited student pass...)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: