FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Berlin hotel with icy-cold A/C? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1841333-berlin-hotel-icy-cold-c.html)

pjrubindc May 8, 2017 8:29 am

Berlin hotel with icy-cold A/C?

I'm going to Berlin in the summer and want to stay near Potsdammer Platz. The reviews of all the 5-star hotels (Ritz, Grand Hyatt, etc.) indicate that during a heat wave the air conditioning is inadequate to truly cool down the room. Anyone stay at a hotel with icy-cold air conditioning?

Yes, I am American. Don't judge. 😛 And yes, I know many people think air conditioning is not necessary in Berlin.

offerendum May 8, 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by pjrubindc (Post 28283311)
I'm going to Berlin in the summer and want to stay near Potsdammer Platz. The reviews of all the 5-star hotels (Ritz, Grand Hyatt, etc.) indicate that during a heat wave the air conditioning is inadequate to truly cool down the room. Anyone stay at a hotel with icy-cold air conditioning.

Yes, I am American. Don't judge. 😛 And yes, I know many people think air conditioning is not necessary in Berlin.

Once I had to get "fixed" my aircon at Ritz, as it was much too cold. They changed it for American guests..... I guess the aircon is not the Problem, the Problem is that the hotel blocks low temperatures as they arenīt ready to pay the energy costs.

pjrubindc May 8, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks.

Anyone else?

pjrubindc May 10, 2017 1:24 pm

I rely on you. Berlin experts, but I have heard nothing! No hotels with strong A/C in Berlin?

fastflyer May 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Your best option, and this works throughout the world (there is inadequate air conditioning throughout the Former Soviet Union, for example), is to take a cold or mildly lukewarm shower upon every return to the room.

It really cools you down. And it also creates a satisfyingly perverse incentive: increased total cost to the hotel.

WorldLux May 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by pjrubindc (Post 28294144)
I rely on you. Berlin experts, but I have heard nothing! No hotels with strong A/C in Berlin?

Getting used to local standards!? :D

If your room in Berlin won't be cool enough think of all the Italians, Spanish and Portuguese living completely without A/C. ;)

offerendum May 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Again: Itīs a Business-decision in nearly every case. Which temperature do you prefer? Much Germans would eben call a hotel a polluter if they allow very low temperatures. You are here in another cultural area.

LondonElite May 10, 2017 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer (Post 28294266)
Your best option, and this works throughout the world (there is inadequate air conditioning throughout the Former Soviet Union, for example), is to take a cold or mildly lukewarm shower upon every return to the room.

It really cools you down. And it also creates a satisfyingly perverse incentive: increased total cost to the hotel.

How does taking a cold shower increase hotel costs? :confused:

LondonElite May 10, 2017 11:51 pm

I've found the rooms in the Adlon cold enough for my liking, but if you want meat locker temperatures you're out of luck in pretty much all of Europe.

pjrubindc May 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Newly built hotels in other European cities have what I would call "modern" air conditioning. Europe is not the backwater it once was. Is Berlin?!

offerendum May 13, 2017 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by pjrubindc (Post 28307913)
Newly built hotels in other European cities have what I would call "modern" air conditioning. Europe is not the backwater it once was. Is Berlin?!

:confused::confused::confused:
Waldorf Astoria is a new hotel........

Otherwise you got a lot of answers with explanations, believe it or not......

Ber2dca May 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Some hotels of the budget variety won't have *any* A/C in Germany. The reality is that German houses don't have A/C so most people aren't used to it. They open the windows when it gets hot.

Moreover, many Germans are raised to be wary of cold air drafts and thus may actually find the feeling of cold air flowing onto their heated skin uncomfortable.

In general, 90+% of the time an A/C *is* unnecessary in Germany because even during warm periods the nighttime humidity and temperatures are nowhere near the levels commonly experienced in a typical American summer in the Midwest or on the East Coast (never mind the South). Opening the window at night will generally cool things down sufficiently except for the hottest nights of the year.

Aside from that, I don't know how the OP question can be reliably answered as (1) no-one can define what OP finds to be acceptable level of cooling and (2) the degree of A/C use is not a constant element of a hotel but dependent on whoever is operating that feature.

offerendum May 14, 2017 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca (Post 28308286)
(1) no-one can define what OP finds to be acceptable level of cooling

Question was asked befor but no answer. For me 20 degree is cold, normally I choose 22 degree. I guess itīs not what OP has in mind....

Kathrin May 14, 2017 6:53 am

Europe "backwater"?

I think it is rather progressive to take pollution and waste of energy into consideration, and in that respect, it's rather Northern America who is "backwater".

Time traveller May 17, 2017 8:34 am

I have stayed at the Marriott Berlin during a heatwave (90 degrees F) and the room was cold enough (by US standards). It is located across the street from the Ritz Carlton.