Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Is it a bad idea to buy a car with delivery in Germany and drive on the Autobahn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it a bad idea to buy a car with delivery in Germany and drive on the Autobahn?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Perhaps an interesting anecdote...

45 minutes driving on I-75 today, during which I counted 37 non-signalled lanes changes (often multiple lanes) vs 7 properly indicated.
Americans don't know what the turn signal stem does thus they never use it. Anytime you observe a vehicle using turn signals in America is the result of the driver accidentally brushing against that stem. Often times the turn signal is flashing even on straightaways because the driver can't figure out why the vehicle is making that clicking noise.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
Americans don't know what the turn signal stem does thus they never use it. Anytime you observe a vehicle using turn signals in America is the result of the driver accidentally brushing against that stem. Often times the turn signal is flashing even on straightaways because the driver can't figure out why the vehicle is making that clicking noise.
I don't know in which America you folks are driving in when saying we never use turn signal indicators. I see turn signal indicators being used daily, when I'm driving in the US -- and I drive in a wide variety of areas across the country. While the use of them has gotten worse over the years, and gotten worse in some areas more than in other areas, they still get used.

Even your post above includes a contradiction indicator to the claim of "never use it".

Last edited by GUWonder; May 29, 2017 at 3:19 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't know in which America you folks are driving in when saying we never use turn signal indicators. I see turn signal indicators being used daily, when I'm driving in the US -- and I drive in a wide variety of areas across the country. While the use of them has gotten worse over the years, and gotten worse in some areas more than in other areas, they still get used.

Even your post above includes a contradiction indicator to the claim of "never use it".
In Chicago driving, I would say signals are used 99% of the time when signalling turning at intersections, etc.

Lane changes, however, only use the signal when you're trying to do a lane change where you need someone to help you out and you're using the signal like, "hey, buddy, I really need to get over here - give me a break." Or, "I'm coming over no matter what and this signal is your warning." Rarely used for just general lane changes as coasting in and out of traffic down the expressway. ^
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by seawolf
In most states, it would be a motor vehicle code violation to fail to use a turn signal when either turning or changing lanes. I suspect most police would give you a warning rather than a ticket for a moving violation unless you've done something else wrong too.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Just as a wake up call, actually got into a massive traffic jam on the Autobahn between Sttugart and Munich last Tuesday afternoon. It took 2 hours to cover 100km and we had several 10-15 minute stops in which nobody moved an inch.

Scary days.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Early days of the Bavarian school holidays.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by wolf72
Just as a wake up call, actually got into a massive traffic jam on the Autobahn between Sttugart and Munich last Tuesday afternoon. It took 2 hours to cover 100km and we had several 10-15 minute stops in which nobody moved an inch.

Scary days.
There is some serious lengthy construction going on in places out there. Narrow lanes and lots of freight trucks (except Sunday's)

I still found places & a way to bury the needle of the 16 Range Rover Sport that Hertz UG'd me to.

I put 2500 km on that thing in 11 days and loved it.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
and lots of freight trucks (except Sunday's)
And Saturdays in July and August (holiday time).
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Does anyone know, if WalterSFO did the Mercedes pickup in Germany and if he gained some Autobahn experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.