Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Is it a bad idea to buy a car with delivery in Germany and drive on the Autobahn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it a bad idea to buy a car with delivery in Germany and drive on the Autobahn?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Alex71
Since the driver's license debate has been going back and forth for a while, I feel compelled to add a real life example to the discussion.

My mother received her driver's license in Paris in the late 60s. In the early 70s, my parents returned to Germany, where she missed her window of opportunity to trade her French license for a German one. Therefore she continued to use her French license without ever having to show it, until, after 30 years, she was involved in an accident (not her fault).

Police was called to the scene, informed her that the license was no longer valid, but told her that laws had changed and that she could get a European-format license in France, which could then be traded for a German one. They also gave her a verbal warning, but no fine and they did not mention the license question in the accident report.
Lucky her, but to my belief a correct result

At this moment her French license document was no longer valid to be used in Germany. She however held a French license and under EU law she could use such French license in Germany. Given that, she held a valid license but could not make evidence of it. This is probably the reason why they did not make a big thing out of this. This, however, does not work for a US license.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

At this moment her French license document was no longer valid to be used in Germany. She however held a French license and under EU law she could use such French license in Germany. Given that, she held a valid license but could not make evidence of it. This is probably the reason why they did not make a big thing out of this. This, however, does not work for a US license.
not an expert in this matter but as I believe as long as I hold a valid license in one EU-state it must be honored in all EU-states as it otherwise would limit the previssiveness.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
not an expert in this matter but as I believe as long as I hold a valid license in one EU-state it must be honored in all EU-states as it otherwise would limit the previssiveness.
True for the new card style license document, however not for the old types (like our German "grauer Lappen").

You need always to distinguish between your license (Fahrerlaubnis) and the license document (Führerschein). This is quite frequently mixed up. Mum held a valid French licensense, however an invalid license document
Old May 19, 2017, 1:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

It does work for US citizens using a US driving license under some circumstances. Amongst other things, there are US citizens who can avail to rights under EU law or other treaty-level arrangements as applicable to French in Germany under some circumstances.

True for the new card style license document, however not for the old types (like our German "grauer Lappen").

You need always to distinguish between your license (Fahrerlaubnis) and the license document (Führerschein). This is quite frequently mixed up. Mum held a valid French licensense, however an invalid license document
Yes, which is why some countries have penalties/more severe penalties for one circumstance than the other.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 19, 2017 at 1:19 am
Old May 19, 2017, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It does work for US citizens using a US driving license under some circumstances. Amongst other things, there are US citizens who can avail to rights under EU law or other treaty-level arrangements as applicable to French in Germany under some circumstances.
How shall a US license grant any rights in the EU other than the rights under the said international conventions? And what "circumstances"?

"Arrangements" between France and Germany are not on "other treaty level" but a direct consequence of European law (DIRECTIVE 2006/126/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 20 December 2006 on driving licenses). But I would really appreciate some more details on your view (if any such details exist).
Old May 19, 2017, 3:18 am
Suspended

How shall a US license grant any rights in the EU other than the rights under the said international conventions? And what "circumstances"?

"Arrangements" between France and Germany are not on "other treaty level" but a direct consequence of European law (DIRECTIVE 2006/126/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 20 December 2006 on driving licenses). But I would really appreciate some more details on your view (if any such details exist).
How about opening a thread in the Europe forum on this matter? I am sure I'm not currently in the market to buy a new car with delivery in Germany to drive on the Autobahn. I wouldn't save any money from doing so and I wouldn't get any thrills from doing so.

It's not about the US license granting the right, rather it's about legal agreements applicable (in at least parts of the EU) granting rights, including rights for those licensed outside the EU.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 19, 2017 at 3:23 am
Old May 19, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
How shall a US license grant any rights in the EU other than the rights under the said international conventions?
A country could (at least in theory) legally recognise foreign DLs by other means than international conventions or regional integration. The question is however why anyone would bother: There are two solid bases regarding mutual recognition of driving licenses.

It's certainly an interesting topic. The EU has IMO simplified the system rather well allowing holders of a DL issued by a member state to stay in another member state for up to 6 months before having to exchange the DL for one issued by the member state in which said holder is staying.

Moreover, harmonisation of the DL categories and the requirements WRT the driver has made exchanging the DL much more simpler.

Anyway, we were talking about the Autobahn...
Old May 19, 2017, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
To all those thinking of driving in Germany, please remember that your new car has, on the left side of the steering wheel, a stalk that, when pushed down or up makes those orange lights at the front and back of your car blink. I know you think these lights are just there for pretty decoration, but it may surprise you to learn that they actually indicate the driver's intended change of lane or direction. Curiously, drivers in Europe are particularly fond of using these constantly, unlike in the US where weaving unannounced across four lanes of traffic while undertaking on the right is considered completely normal.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by LondonElite
To all those thinking of driving in Germany, please remember that your new car has, on the left side of the steering wheel, a stalk that, when pushed down or up makes those orange lights at the front and back of your car blink. I know you think these lights are just there for pretty decoration, but it may surprise you to learn that they actually indicate the driver's intended change of lane or direction. Curiously, drivers in Europe are particularly fond of using these constantly, unlike in the US where weaving unannounced across four lanes of traffic while undertaking on the right is considered completely normal.
Oooh, not all Germans use it. Some use it when they already occupy 50% of the other lane.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This is true. My business partner does this in his 'Angeber' car, a BMW 760 xL
Old May 20, 2017, 6:36 am

Legend says that it is an optional extra on BMW.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Legend says that it is an optional extra on BMW.
As not is the flash
Old May 20, 2017, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Americans tend use the turn/change lane indicators as much or more than many Europeans.

Passing on the right on roads isn't that extraordinary in much of the world, including in the US. In Europe, it's a bad idea more so than in the US.

It's not all that great an idea to buy a car with which the driver is unfamiliar and to get to driving when unfamiliar with the local conditions. Does Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Porsche give buyers from other regions any educational lessons/material/pointers on different driving practices before sending their customers out onto the road? There are even lots of road signs in Europe which would make little to no sense to many American drivers. AUSFAHRT and INFAHRT aren't just jokes. And AUSGANG isn't the same thing as AUSFAHRT.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

curt likes this.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
As not is the flash
A colleague of mine and very proud owner of a 5-series had a defective control unit in his car. As a result his high beams were on 24/7 (even when the key wasn't in the ignition).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.