Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

ICE from FRA to Central Station; Seat Reservation

ICE from FRA to Central Station; Seat Reservation

Old Apr 7, 17, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
Question ICE from FRA to Central Station; Seat Reservation

Very excited to be actually leaving the airport on an upcoming trip to Frankfurt!

I need to get from FRA to the Central Station. I booked a ticket on the ICE in 1st class to make the 11-minute trip (which seems like overkill for going one stop, but I'll be with my young daughter and want to ensure a smooth trip). I understand that the seat reservation needs to take place separate from the ticket purchase, however when I go to reserve a seat it is telling me "Reservation Impossible."

Is that because it's such a short distance? And if so, do we just grab whichever seats are available upon boarding, Amtrak-style?

Many thanks in advance,
Lewis
Old Apr 7, 17, 2:34 pm

Yes, you don't need a reservation for that short trip. Just take an available seat (there are small displays above the seats, if they don't show anything, then the seat is not reserved, if they show anything like Frankfurt - ..., it's reserved from Frankfurt on, so you can still sit on it to Central station).
Old Apr 7, 17, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Got it. Many thanks for the quick and helpful reply.
Old Apr 7, 17, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EB Silver
The ICE in first class is indeed an unconventional way to make that journey, but yes, there's no need to reserve a seat (and indeed it would cost you €5.90 each at this stage), so you just grab whichever one you like that's not already reserved – although by the time you've settled in, it's probably time to gather your belongings again.

You should also be aware that your ticket is valid for any train that day, so you can just take the first train that comes.
Old Apr 7, 17, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by waffle View Post
You should also be aware that your ticket is valid for any train that day, so you can just take the first train that comes.
Oh wow-- that is great to know. Thank you very much.
Old Apr 8, 17, 10:18 am

Programs: DL GM/KM
The ICE in first class is indeed an unconventional way to make that journey
The walk from the terminal to the Fernbahnhof where the ICE stops will be almost as long as the ride itself.
While the ICE service is fairly frequent on that route at most times of the day, if while passing the Regionalbahnhof there's a train due in the next few minutes, there would be no difficulty in taking it. A bit of a downgrade (even if it's an RE with first class), but would save some time, if that's a consideration.
Old Apr 8, 17, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyBuck View Post
The walk from the terminal to the Fernbahnhof where the ICE stops will be almost as long as the ride itself.
Ha! You can see how much of a rookie I am at this. We're actually going to be coming from the Hilton, so hopefully it will be slightly closer.

Thanks again,
Lewis
Old Apr 8, 17, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by LewDog View Post
Oh wow-- that is great to know. Thank you very much.
(This is assuming that you bought a Flexpreis at 22.50, but I'm pretty sure DB wouldn't sell you anything else on that route.)
Old Apr 8, 17, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

(This is assuming that you bought a Flexpreis at 22.50, but I'm pretty sure DB wouldn't sell you anything else on that route.)
That is correct.
Old Apr 9, 17, 2:46 am

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by LewDog View Post
Ha! You can see how much of a rookie I am at this. We're actually going to be coming from the Hilton, so hopefully it will be slightly closer.
Considerably closer. In fact, the Hilton is in the "Squaire"; a center for commerce and shops built on top of the high-speed train tracks.

From the Hilton, you're at the track where the ICE stops in 2 minutes. As has been explained, commuter rail service is from a different station. Walking there from the Hilton takes closer to 10 min.
Old Apr 11, 17, 9:23 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Seat reservation on the ICE is free of charge with a 1st class ticket. Much more convenient from the "Squaire" Hilton than a cab.
Old Apr 11, 17, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by mosburger View Post
Seat reservation on the ICE is free of charge with a 1st class ticket.
Only when booked together with the ticket, afterwards it's 5.90. But it's neither required nor, for an 11-minute trip, necessary.
Old Apr 15, 17, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help. The trip was a huge success, and would not have been as much of one without the tips from this and the LH boards. Great experience all-around, and if you ever need NYC advice, I would love to be able to help.
Old May 17, 17, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
Originally Posted by Fireflyer05 View Post
Yes, you don't need a reservation for that short trip. Just take an available seat (there are small displays above the seats, if they don't show anything, then the seat is not reserved, if they show anything like Frankfurt - ..., it's reserved from Frankfurt on, so you can still sit on it to Central station).
I have a similar question.

I booked a Berlin Hbf - Frankfurt Hbf - Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof on ICE for both segments. When booking online on the bahn website, I was able to select seats on the Berlin Hbf - Frankfurt Hbf segment with a nominal fee. However the online booking system said seat assignment on the Frankfurt Hbf - Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof is not available.

I know the train ride from the Frankfurt Hbf to Flughafen is a short trip. Is it possible to get seat assignments in advance? This is for a 2nd class ticket.
Old May 17, 17, 2:17 pm

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
It should be possible for a fee (except for the pathological case that all seats are reserved already; Deutsche Bahn continues to sell tickets even if all seats are reserved).

I wouldn't worry about it, though. The ICEs usually aren't crowded between Hauptbahnhof and the airport. You shouldn't have any trouble finding seats.

Search this Thread