Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Entry Immigration in German airports - EU Citizens travelling with US husbands/wives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry Immigration in German airports - EU Citizens travelling with US husbands/wives

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Hi there

In Germany, can EU Nationals can take their US Citizen husbands/wives through the immigration lines for EU National with them? Or do they have to go to the non EU national line?

Some context: I'm an EU National and my wife is a US Citizen, and we'll be arriving into DUS from the US in July for a short visit. She is not an EU resident, as we live in the US. We've been allowed and encouraged to use the EU lines together in the UK and Ireland whilst married.

Any thoughts or experiences would be lovely, related to DUS (for) or otherwise (for others).

Thanks all
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Normally they are not that strict in Germany when it comes to EU / Non-EU lines. Sometimes they don't even distinguish between different lines. In my opinion the chances are very hight that the federal police officers will not say anything if you use the EU line together.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
Normally they are not that strict in Germany when it comes to EU / Non-EU lines. Sometimes they don't even distinguish between different lines. In my opinion the chances are very hight that the federal police officers will not say anything if you use the EU line together.
Use the line which is shorter. Even if the officer thinks you are wrong the worst thing I would expect is the advice to use the other line next year. Often indeed only one line is open.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Lovely, thanks for some insight offerendum and flyingfkb I really appreciate it
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Unfortunately the Bundespolizei doesn't bother enforcing the EU/EWR vs 'All others' lines at all in Germany. I routinely see people queue at the shorter EU citizen line and blocking the entire process.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:05 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
You should not have a problem as long as you are interacting with a real immigration officer as you do in Germany. In other countries such as the Netherlands that use automated systems for EU nationals your wife would not be able to use that system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.