FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Berlin TXL and SXF airport strikes 10th March (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1828380-berlin-txl-sxf-airport-strikes-10th-march.html)

eastflyer123 Mar 9, 2017 12:27 pm

Berlin TXL and SXF airport strikes 10th March

Norwegian has just sent me an SMS to let me know both of these airports are closed (again). I am travelling tomorrow, 10th March from London Gatwick.

They say the flight may be rerouted. Any ideas what happened on previous strikes? Apart from cancellations, does anyone have experience of these reroutings and if so, where to? Hamburg?

ralfkrippner Mar 10, 2017 3:27 am

Did you get a re-route? Leipzig, Dresden, Hannover and Hamburg might be options with 1,5-2 hours train or bus connections to Berlin afterwards.

El_Duderito Mar 10, 2017 3:54 am

BA cancelled all flights to/from TXL today. I called the GGL line and was offered to fly out of any airport within a 300mi radius. HAJ worked better for me than HAM. Took 5 minutes in total on the phone.

This strike might be a bit different since the media and airlines expect virtually no flight to take off.

ralfkrippner Mar 12, 2017 10:40 am

Addtl. strike days likely at TXL/SXF airports for the upcoming week.

AlienInTheFatherland Mar 12, 2017 10:54 am

Looks to me to be just as dramatic as last Friday for tomorrow - Ryanair and Easyjet have already cancelled everything ex SXF and virtually all others apart from AB have done the same with TXL.

EDIT - according to TXL departures board for tomorrow AB have also just cancelled virtually everything for Monday except long-haul

oliver2002 Mar 13, 2017 3:47 am

Yep, TXL is closed today:

[code] EDDT TEGEL A1140/17 - BERLIN TEGEL AIRPORT NOT USABLE AS ALTN AD DUE TO LTD PSN
CAPACITY. 13 MAR 03:00 2017 UNTIL 14 MAR 04:00 2017. CREATED: 12 MAR 09:59 2017
A1139/17 - GROUND SERVICE LIMITED DUE TO STRIKE ACTION. 13 MAR 03:00 2017 UNTIL 14 MAR 04:00
2017. CREATED: 12 MAR 09:48 2017
[code]

eastflyer123 Mar 13, 2017 4:50 am

I flew out on Friday on Norwegian expecting it to be a complete waste of a day at LGW.

To Norwegian Air's credit, they diverted from SXF to Hamburg. According to the gate staff, there would be coaches to transfer to Berlin.

The flight left on time, and arrived quicker than it would have at Berlin. But there was no coach. So I got a train from Hamburg to Berlin Ostbahnof costng 79.00 Euros. I arrived in Berlin about three hours after I would have.

So - a strike at my original airport and only delayed by three hours. Not bad.

But there was no Norwegian staff at Hamburg to help with transfers or give information.

It it looks like the summer is going to be full of strikes in Germany. The unions are encouraging other airports to take action aswell.

waffle Mar 13, 2017 4:52 am

… and the strike has been extended by one day until Wednesday, 5:00. (See also the airport website.)