Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Restaurants around FRA

Restaurants around FRA

Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Restaurants around FRA

Friend flying in for overnight stay at FRA then heading back to the States the next day.

Thoughts on decent restaurants in the area?

We've done the Paulaner twice at the Airport and looking for something different/new.

I am very "hobo-like" when it comes to using mass transit. He's the issue..... lol

TIA
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Frankfurt restaurant recommendations

Here are some suggestions:

Local Frankfurt food, try:
Fine Dining
Italian Food
Steaks
Spanish
Cocktail Bars for after dinner
As always in Germany, be aware that not everybody is taking credit cards, though the situation in Frankfurt is definitely better than the German average.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Pasta Davini and Apfelwein Wagner +1

Casa Nova and Kanonesteppel -1.

I'd add Union Club/Villa Merton to the list (fine cuisine; pricey; vegetarian options).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
OP seems to be looking for dining options in/around the airport rather than in town (though I don't know what a hobo traveller is, someone who keeps their belongings tied up in a bedsheets which they carry over their shoulder with a stick?)

in the Squaire there are really two other options. At the Hilton end there is a decent hamburger place. At the other (opposite the Paulaner) is a combination Chinese/Japanese which is not bad.

I dine out in Frankfurt itself at least once a week so I can give you some nice insider tips if you PM me.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:15 am
Suspended

If it really gotta be directly at FRA, I'd probably try the Flavor restaurant in the Sheraton. Never been there personally. I've been to their bar which is decent and I conjecture the restaurant won't be terrible.

Or try the Unterschweinstiege at the Steigenberger Airport hotel. It has a long tradition, the restaurant is located in what used to be a forester's lodge for a couple of hundred years. It's been a long time since I've eaten there. I imagine it is a tad expensive for what you get. But the building is certainly nice (interior design is a bit old-school and a matter of taste).
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
hobo traveller
Inside joke with my friend who is reading this since he can't figure out the German Mass Transit System and I have.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunshineStay
Apfelwein Wagner
We did a Apfelwein Klaus the other night when his hotel options changed and he was placed in town.

Good German restaurant and we were the only non-locals in there. My kind of place.

Thanks for the rest of the list..... I'm going to make sure I save it and work on going to some of those....
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
a combination Chinese/Japanese which is not bad.
We tried that last night and it wasn't too bad. I've had better but it beat going to the Paulaner for the 6-7 time in a row.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Inside joke with my friend who is reading this since he can't figure out the German Mass Transit System and I have.
There's really not much to figure out. I'd say getting from Frankfurt Airport to the central station is about as foolproof as it gets. Trains run every 15 minutes, take 11 minutes, cost 4.80, and (vitally) have a first-class section. If he's lost, he can ask around and somebody is sure to put him on the right train. It'll be a mini-adventure and greatly increase his dining options.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by fppmongo
Or try the Unterschweinstiege at the Steigenberger Airport hotel. It has a long tradition, the restaurant is located in what used to be a forester's lodge for a couple of hundred years. It's been a long time since I've eaten there. I imagine it is a tad expensive for what you get. But the building is certainly nice (interior design is a bit old-school and a matter of taste).
Although the OP already got help from this thread, I'd second this recommendation for future readers.

During the terrace season it's especially nice and you can forget about the airport and travelling for a while, looking at the lush and green surroundings.

That said, my favourite Frankfurt downtown restaurant is still the Greek taverna in Hausen that I frequented with my parents and brother in the late 1970's. Changed owners a couple of times but perfect for nostalgia.

Last edited by mosburger; Feb 24, 2017 at 1:15 pm
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by waffle
There's really not much to figure out. I'd say getting from Frankfurt Airport to the central station is about as foolproof as it gets. Trains run every 15 minutes, take 11 minutes, cost 4.80, and (vitally) have a first-class section. If he's lost, he can ask around and somebody is sure to put him on the right train. It'll be a mini-adventure and greatly increase his dining options.
For him, apparently there is. LOL

He tried to meet me in Stuttgart via DB several weeks ago when he was in country for a 3 day trip and ended up trying to use one of the machines at FRA and got 165.00 eur price for a one way ticket. SMFH.

I opted to just go up there and fetch him via auto and go from there.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:08 am
Suspended

He tried to meet me in Stuttgart via DB several weeks ago when he was in country for a 3 day trip and ended up trying to use one of the machines at FRA and got 165.00 eur price for a one way ticket.
O/w price from Frankfurt to Stuttgart is capped at 109€ for full-flex first class... Maybe he was planning on doing a stopover in Berlin or something lol
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
got 165.00 eur price for a one way ticket
That sounds like a record
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past, I've had memorable meals in Wiesbaden (easy train ride from FRA and like Mainz is an alternative to going into central Frankfurt for a night) and in the Schlosshotel at Traunus (spelling), which is a small village near FRA that can be hard to find and as a practical matter would require a car.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by fppmongo
An update, we went to that hotel just to be told that that restaurant is closed on Saturdays and Sundays hopefully after covid it will get better again. We are staying at the Marriott near the terminal where the restaurant looks atrocious anyway, so we just had dinner on that hotels terrace. It was not very good but I did it to myself with that early flight from FRA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.