Reload this Page >

Oktoberfest 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oktoberfest 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Cool Oktoberfest 2017

Munich picked this years design today: http://www.muenchen.de/veranstaltung...estplakat.html

Winzere Fähndl started accepting entries for reservations two weeks ago: http://winzerer-faehndl.com/reservierung.html

The other large tents usually open reservation (requests) sometime around end of March/ early April.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Hmm, a bit langweilig, no?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards, Saga Club, KrisFlyer
Do these posters sell out? Should i try ordering my favorite now, or ship one home after vacation?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: FT
Looks like I will be in the area for business on the first day of Oktoberfest, Sept 16.

Just me and a friend flying in from Zurich. I have a decent rate at the Westin and seems like a decent location on U4 line.

With 2 as I have read, it looks like we might not really need a reservation per se.

I am trying to see if some local work colleagues have any ideas.

Don't know if the parade on the first day or second day are worth catching. The parade on the 17th looks interesting for me to see before I have to book it back to the airport.

So really only Sept 16 is all I have.

I suppose it's silly to try to get into Schottenhamel to see the tapping of the keg?

Either way, I have read around and appreciate the tips.

I won't be worrying about dressing up and less concerned about getting intoxicated than taking in the atmosphere and perhaps having some food on the grounds area.

Cheers, KJ
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mkjr
Looks like I will be in the area for business on the first day of Oktoberfest, Sept 16.

Just me and a friend flying in from Zurich. I have a decent rate at the Westin and seems like a decent location on U4 line.

With 2 as I have read, it looks like we might not really need a reservation per se.

I am trying to see if some local work colleagues have any ideas.

Don't know if the parade on the first day or second day are worth catching. The parade on the 17th looks interesting for me to see before I have to book it back to the airport.

So really only Sept 16 is all I have.

I suppose it's silly to try to get into Schottenhamel to see the tapping of the keg?

Either way, I have read around and appreciate the tips.

I won't be worrying about dressing up and less concerned about getting intoxicated than taking in the atmosphere and perhaps having some food on the grounds area.

Cheers, KJ
Nice to have a work trip intersect with the festival. ^

I have a great time at O'fest and it is certainly something to experience.

I don't even bother trying to get reserved tables at the tents. There are open-seating tables just outside most (all?) of the tents. With just two of you, should be able to find a couple open seats and make some new friends. Pic below to show a typical setup. If you don't manage to find a couple seats inside, I have never had difficulty outside. Only risk is of bad weather.

I will be there on the 16th as well. It will be my first time making an appearance on opening day....though more due to finding a hotel available on points than anything special about the start of the festivities.

Hope you have a great time!
Attached Images  
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC
I've always been temped to go to Oktoberfest, it's one of those real "bucket list" things. Only worry is I don't know how well I would fare knocking back 1L steins of 5-6% beer...
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:54 am
Suspended

Just pace yourself and maintain a gentle buzz...and eat lots of pork.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by irish_goat
I've always been temped to go to Oktoberfest, it's one of those real "bucket list" things. Only worry is I don't know how well I would fare knocking back 1L steins of 5-6% beer...
Dependent on what you're used to drinking, that the German beer isn't full of most of the crap that you'd find in the UK/ROI which actually causes the hangovers, you'd be fine
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by jt82
Dependent on what you're used to drinking, that the German beer isn't full of most of the crap that you'd find in the UK/ROI which actually causes the hangovers, you'd be fine
I'm glad I did read up on the higher alcohol content. I'm a skinny guy so I'll be sure to eat lots of food with lots of fat.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
You have to prepare a foundation: eat pretzels and roast chicken during the first round, don't drink on empty stomach. 3x 1L will go in easy over 2-3 hours. The 4th one is tough.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jt82
Ah well I was thinking more of the extra alcohol content rather than the hangover.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
1. Tent reservations are only needed for Saturday nights
2. Augustines is most popular tent but mist lager beer similar at festival
3. Go to Schneider Weisse haus in Marienplatz for best local beer
4. Parade opening weekend only so worth seeing if you haven't
5. Hotel prices are astronomical in Munich during Oktoberfest
I was there in May when reasonable and fly in Sept 20th........on good airfare deal but no place to stay yet.
Munich is no ,longer as special due to higher prices, lines at each tent and security at festivals denying bags when entering.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I have got a table for 10 in one of the boxes at the Hacker tent - quick query, should for whatever reason only be 9 of us, how much trouble you think the tent guys are gonna give us? I am asking as the official T&C's state that the full 10 people need to be sitted in the table within 15mins from the your designated shift's start time...
Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:15 am
Suspended

You'll get no grief. At worst tell him he's having a pee and will join you soon. What they don't want is a group of four blocking a whole table where otherwise six more people will be drinking.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by euromannn
1. Tent reservations are only needed for Saturday nights
2. Augustines is most popular tent but mist lager beer similar at festival
3. Go to Schneider Weisse haus in Marienplatz for best local beer
4. Parade opening weekend only so worth seeing if you haven't
5. Hotel prices are astronomical in Munich during Oktoberfest
I was there in May when reasonable and fly in Sept 20th........on good airfare deal but no place to stay yet.
Munich is no ,longer as special due to higher prices, lines at each tent and security at festivals denying bags when entering.
I can second everything but number 3. While the Schneider Brauhaus is very good it brews and serves Weizenbeer. If you are looking for the other typical beer the "Helles" you should visit another Brauhaus. A very traditional place is Beim Sedlmayr, or Georgenhof. For Friday or Saturday evening you should reserve a table.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.