Safety in Germany

Old Jan 24, 17, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Safety in Germany

Possible job offer in Frankfurt, but I'm being told that women and children will be at high risk of rape and sexual molestation. Is there any truth behind these statements or is this individual either paranoid or having a laugh? I'm looking to compare to a somewhat affluent neighborhood in GA where there is very little crime. Which areas would be considered the safest? Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 17, 6:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat LTP, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by flwrlover1 View Post
Possible job offer in Frankfurt, but I'm being told that women and children will be at high risk of rape and sexual molestation. Is there any truth behind these statements or is this individual either paranoid or having a laugh? I'm looking to compare to a somewhat affluent neighborhood in GA where there is very little crime. Which areas would be considered the safest? Thanks!
Not a German and never lived in Germany, but what you have been told is insulting if not hilarious. If the risk of rape was that bad in the major financial capital of the Eurozone and the seat of the ECB, don't you think it would be easily verified through some basic googling?

The US is a big country and Georgia's a big state but to compare Frankfurt (the city) to a neighbourhood in GA, is a bit much.
Old Jan 24, 17, 10:06 pm

This is a joke, right?
Just in case it is not: Frankfurt is perfectly safe. Even at night as a woman alone in most areas. Of course you don't take stupid risks and always have your keys in hand. But that's just common sense.
Great areas to live in Frankfurt: Bornheim, Bockenheim, Westend, Sachsenhausen.
Old Jan 25, 17, 1:42 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
In case this is a joke, it pathetically fails to be funny.

Forgive my blunt German honesty but this is absolute rubbish.
Old Jan 25, 17, 2:24 am

At least they will "only" be molested here and not shot in the face. I heard that is what happens a lot in the USA.
Old Jan 25, 17, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I think someone is winding you up. Or you us!
Old Jan 25, 17, 2:36 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I think you need to travel to Frankfurt before making any decision on moving there.

The statement is hilarious but a wider issue is your naivety / willingness to believe it enough to ask here. Making an international move is mentally tough, and you should have some familiarity with the country you are going to.
Old Jan 25, 17, 2:57 am

Is there any truth behind these statements or is this individual either paranoid or having a laugh?
This individual may be a believer of alternative facts.
Old Jan 25, 17, 3:11 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Rubbish. There may be a risk (as everywere on the world) but surely no "high risk".
Old Jan 25, 17, 4:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Total rubbish. I wouldn't trust a single word of what thte person that told you this is saying.

Germany in general and Frankfurt in particular is very safe, much safer actually than the US if you compare stuff like crime rates, murder rates and the like.
Old Jan 25, 17, 5:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Compared to the US Germany must be a dangerous place: The US has imprisoned approximately 1 percent of their adult citizens whereas Germany has only a rate of 0,1 percent. Given that, by far more criminals must be running free in Germany.

But hold on: The homicide rate in the US is still at 5 murders to 100.000 citizens (the same as in Iran) whereas it is at 1 to 100.000 in Germany.

QED: The US puts ten times as much people in prison as Germany. Albeit that, the risk to get murdered is five times as high in the US compared to Germany. I wonder whether such BS about safety in Germany is propaganda of the new administration.
Old Jan 25, 17, 7:40 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Possible job offer in Frankfurt, but I'm being told that women and children will be at high risk of rape and sexual molestation.
Yes. The Germans all live in WWII bunkers, drive armored vehicles to work and only go shopping with a compact machine gun a a machete for close combats.

--- ---

AFAIK there have been increased reports of children and young women being sexually harassed/assaulted in swimming pools by refugees, but it is difficult to put those reports into context: The press seems to highlight these occurrences and overall numbers of sexual assault/rape are difficult to collect.

Overall, Germany feels and is very safe. Here and there, you have areas, where crime is more frequent, but those areas exist in any major city in the world. As it has been pointed out,
Old Jan 25, 17, 7:42 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
1 to 100.000 in Germany.
So under 1000 in whole Germany. Most of them are inside the family, so chance to get murdered on street is very low. Perhaps its some Kind of propaganda or simply unknowingness. 25 years ago schoolmates from me were asked in the US how it is to live in a dictatorship. They really thought (no joke) the Nazis and Adolf Hitler (sic!) are still in charge!!!! Of course for this people Germany is one step above hell
Old Jan 25, 17, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
25 years ago schoolmates from me were asked in the US how it is to live in a dictatorship. They really thought (no joke) the Nazis and Adolf Hitler (sic!) are still in charge!!!! Of course for this people Germany is one step above hell
So the fall of the Berlin wall prominently in the news had passed straight by?
Old Jan 25, 17, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you for clarifying. They were blaming the increase on an influx of immigrants. I wasn't able to determine if their comments were prejudiced in nature or if there had genuinely been an increase in crime. Thanks!

Search this Thread