Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safety in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm having dinner in Oakland as I write. It's statistically far more dangerous than Frankfurt and almost certainly is in all practical ways too. But I don't feel unsafe. Now, fingers crossed for the journey back to my AirBnB.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by colonius
"gefährliche Körperverletzung"
Which can be drunk A is throwing his beer glass on drunk B or something like that.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Which can be drunk A is throwing his beer glass on drunk B or something like that.
Which is most of the time something like that...

As soon as something that can be used as a weapon (including a beer glass) is involved or as soon as two people are involved in an attack of whatever quality, we are in the range of Gefährliche Körperverletzung. The cases with severe consequences are called Schwere Körperverletzung and these are the really interesting cases.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colonius
Very few areas of Frankfurt should be as dangerous as Atlanta or any other large American city.

From Wikipedia on Atlanta, GA (population around 450,000):

Homicide 94
Forcible rape 170
Robbery 1,995
Aggravated assault 2,944
Total violent crime 5,203

For Frankfurt, population 690,000 (2015 Hessian Police Statistics):

Homicide (First Degree Murder): 6
Homicide (Second Degree Murder): 14
Forcible Rape: 69
Robbery: 1,040
Aggravated Assault: 2.194**

** (sum of "schwere Körperverletzung" and "gefährliche Körperverletzung")
Yes, but I used Atlanta as a loose term. I did so partially for privacy reasons and partially because I simply felt it was more well known. Technically, I live in an Atlanta suburb called Alpharetta. I think you will find the "statistics" to be different from Atlanta's.

As far as whether we are going to move forward with this opportunity, I genuinely don't know yet. We really are stuck trying to weigh the pros and cons for our young teens. Their grades and abilities already qualify them for 4 free years of college locally, but we want them to truly gain the value of different cultures. That being said, their emotional stability and self identity is also something that we are weighing.

We know that we want our home base to be somewhere in Europe. My husband could obviously change companies to give us more locational opportunities, but we really like his current company and want to stay with them.

I am curious to hear more from the person who spoke about being loyal to a location. This is the first company we've ever felt loyalty to (because they treat us very well) and I can't even comprehend being loyal to a city. I would love to hear more elaboration on that topic if you have time.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Feb 6, 2017 at 3:14 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
Yes, but I used Atlanta as a loose term. I did so partially for privacy reasons and partially because I simply felt it was more well known. Technically, I live in an Atlanta suburb called Alpharetta. I think you will find the "statistics" to be different from Atlanta's.

As far as whether we are going to move forward with this opportunity, I genuinely don't know yet. We really are stuck trying to weigh the pros and cons for our young teens. Their grades and abilities already qualify them for 4 free years of college locally, but we want them to truly gain the value of different cultures. That being said, their emotional stability and self identity is also something that we are weighing.

We know that we want our home base to be somewhere in Europe. My husband could obviously change companies to give us more locational opportunities, but we really like his current company and want to stay with them.

I am curious to hear more from the person who spoke about being loyal to a location. This is the first company we've ever felt loyalty to (because they treat us very well) and I can't even comprehend being loyal to a city. I would love to hear more elaboration on that topic if you have time.
I'm not the person who spoke of being loyal to a location, but I understand it. My husband and I live in Manhattan. Neither one of us is native to this place, but we have both lived here for over two decades. We met here, have our circle of closest friends here, enjoy life and everything it has to offer (art, ballet (more me), opera (more him), shopping (definitely more me), and so on). While there are definitely other cities we can imagine living in (Berlin, Paris, Barcelona, London, even Frankfurt), we feel a great love for NY, have built a life here, and think we will probably end up spending the rest of our lives here, while visiting other cities we love.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

NYC? Interesting. I actually hate even visiting there for more than 48 hours, but I can see why the plays and cultural events might be superior. The chaos is just too much for me to feel comfortable in long term. Are you an American or someone that has relocated?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ysolde
I'm not the person who spoke of being loyal to a location, but I understand it. My husband and I live in Manhattan. Neither one of us is native to this place, but we have both lived here for over two decades. We met here, have our circle of closest friends here, enjoy life and everything it has to offer (art, ballet (more me), opera (more him), shopping (definitely more me), and so on). While there are definitely other cities we can imagine living in (Berlin, Paris, Barcelona, London, even Frankfurt), we feel a great love for NY, have built a life here, and think we will probably end up spending the rest of our lives here, while visiting other cities we love.
I'm the person who commented on it and mentioned NYC. You've captured it well, and I would say New Yorkers can be fiercely loyal, even saying they can't imagine living anywhere other than the greatest city in the world (not my words or belief!).

I'm sure there are people everywhere who are loyal to their city like this. But outside of NYC, my opinion is and observations have been that Americans are more fiercely loyal to America than to a city or State. Versus someone in Munich who has an attachment to Munich/Bavaria, or an Okinawan who feels Okinawan rather than Japanese. Again, just an opinion. It would be a really interesting study for someone to do, IMO.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
NYC? Interesting. I actually hate even visiting there for more than 48 hours, but I can see why the plays and cultural events might be superior. The chaos is just too much for me to feel comfortable in long term. Are you an American or someone that has relocated?
I am an American. My husband is European-born, but grew up everywhere, due to his parents' frequent relocations during his childhood.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I made a comment about loyalty, not to a city but a place. By that what I mean is an environment, which includes local scenery, culture and way of life, not necessarily a specific place.

I could never live in NYC even if paid $10MM, not even if I could come home after the first year and keep the money. The life doesn't suit me. Yes, I enjoy visiting NYC for a few days, but then I am ready to come home. I would never consider a job that required me to live in any city.

I am not decrying cities as a bane to mankind, just to this man's kind. I am sure that there are many people who would never consider living in the sticks of Vermont even for $10MM.

The bottom line is that everyone is different and has different desires.

My point is that I can't imagine giving up whatever that heartfelt desire is for a job/money. If the two happen to line up, with no conflicts, then you can consider yourself blessed, as I do.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dnwaldmann
I made a comment about loyalty, not to a city but a place. By that what I mean is an environment, which includes local scenery, culture and way of life, not necessarily a specific place.

I could never live in NYC even if paid $10MM, not even if I could come home

The bottom line is that everyone is different and has different desires.
Well, I have to agree with you about NYC and London as well. Both are great places to visit and admittedly have so much to offer, but I just couldn't live in either no matter what the salary consisted of. The chaos drove me crazy, but I love their museums and cultural offerings. They were genuinely superior to other cities, but the noise, smog, etc made me want to leave ASAP.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Feb 8, 2017 at 4:31 am
Old Feb 7, 2017, 5:05 pm

If you enjoy museums, give Frankfurt a try. It has quite a bit to offer. The opera is also quite good.
Depending on your budget, with teens I would probably look at Oberursel (where the International School is) or Bad Homburg. Hofheim and Kronberg are also nice spots and should be cheaper than Bad Homburg (it's been a while though since I checked prices). I would probably avoid living in Frankfurt itself even though it has really amazing areas and it's great to be able to walk everywhere. The city itself is fairly small so even moving a few suburbs out, you might still be in the centre of everything within 20-30 minutes.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cathaana
If you enjoy museums, give Frankfurt a try. It has quite a bit to offer. The opera is also quite good.
Depending on your budget, with teens I would probably look at Oberursel (where the International School is) or Bad Homburg. Hofheim and Kronberg are also nice spots and should be cheaper than Bad Homburg (it's been a while though since I checked prices). I would probably avoid living in Frankfurt itself even though it has really amazing areas and it's great to be able to walk everywhere. The city itself is fairly small so even moving a few suburbs out, you might still be in the centre of everything within 20-30 minutes.
Thank you! Very helpful information. We are used to driving everywhere here in the U.S. Two to three cars per family is the norm (typically because of teenage drivers), but we are actually hoping to live in a location where a car wouldn't be needed. The choice isn't for financial reasons, but because we want to be forced to walk more and be out in the sun more. This move will be for different reasons than our previous moves when the children were younger. We are looking for a certain quality of life. Joining a gym here just isn't the same as walking on the old historical cobblestones surrounded by beautiful scenery.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thank you! Very helpful information. We are used to driving everywhere here in the U.S. Two to three cars per family is the norm (typically because of teenage drivers), but we are actually hoping to live in a location where a car wouldn't be needed. The choice isn't for financial reasons, but because we want to be forced to walk more and be out in the sun more. This move will be for different reasons than our previous moves when the children were younger. We are looking for a certain quality of life. Joining a gym here just isn't the same as walking on the old historical cobblestones surrounded by beautiful scenery.
Without a car it woudn't be so much fun. You are limited.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Without a car it woudn't be so much fun. You are limited.
That works for a weekend or maybe a week in a city, but not a permanent move. While I haven't spent a lot of time in Frankfurt, the public transportation there is, of course, better than US cities. I think the OP could drop from 3 cars (necessary in suburban Atlanta) to 1 there fairly easily.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ysolde
My husband and I go to Germany, and in particular Frankfurt and its environs, at least twice a year, and have for many years (my husband has family there, and, as he is an author, there is the Frankfurt Book Fair). In my experience (remember, this is simply anecdotal):

There has not been an increase in violent (or even petty) crime, in the area.

There has been a slow increase in homelessness or begging (or both), most visible in the train stations. While sad, there is no danger that I have noticed.

It's Germany: the one thing you will notice (and will have to get used to, if you intend to live there), is public drinking, especially by young people, particularly on weekends. They tend to congregate in the the train stations, where there are grocery stores open late at night (selling all sorts of alcoholic beverages). These folks, mostly native Germans, will sit around inside or just outside the train station (depending on the weather) talking stuff and getting lit. Think the 7-11 scene in Say Anything. Nothing particularly dangerous, but they can get loud and obnoxious.

JMO, mileage varies, of course.
These youngsters are a minority. Most go out like anywhere else.
It's pretty safe after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.