Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

One day/night in Munich.... questions

One day/night in Munich.... questions

Old Dec 9, 16, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Question One day/night in Munich.... questions

(Staying at the Charles hotel.)

1. Which one Christmas Market to visit? Not too big, or crowded.
2. Going to Nuremberg on the next day, with luggage. Train or plane?
3. If train, do we purchase tickets in advance now, or after arriving at Munich?

Or:
Skip Munich entirely, go direct to NUE from MUC?
Old Dec 9, 16, 1:28 pm

2 - surprised to see that you can actually fly direct from MUC - NUE, but it's 100 miles, that'd be silly. Train.
3 - How many of you are there that you're wondering about "we purchase tickets"? If it's only a couple, then you might have a choice of getting a couple of advance ICE tickets for 19 euros each, but I'd just take the extra 45 minutes and take the regional trains with the Bayern Ticket otherwise which you'd buy on the day
Old Dec 9, 16, 1:41 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Both cristmas markets are crowded, but I prefer Munich. Of course MUC - NUE only makes sense and is possible by train. I wouldn´t skip Munich.
Old Dec 9, 16, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Wink

jt82 MUC-NUE from non-stop to one stop (FRA). Fares ranging from $116.80 (35m) to $410.40 (16h 45m ��), one way!

We (two people) will take the train, thanks!

offerendum There are a few Christmas Markets in Munich. We have time to visit only one. Which would you recommend?
Old Dec 9, 16, 6:59 pm

Programs: SK EuroBonus, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
The market at Marienplatz is obviously central and easy to get to if you're pressed on time, but that's probably exactly what you mean by "too big and crowded". The one at Münchner Freiheit (U6) is a bit further away from the main tourist track. There's also a quite peculiar one at Wittelsbacher Platz (just west of Odeonsplatz), which has a lot of medieval weapons on offer.

Regarding the train, you can, as mentioned, get tickets for the ICE, which takes between 1 hour and 1:10, to Nuremberg for 19€ per person if you book online in advance. The fastest RegionalExpress service takes around 1:40 and leaves every 2 hours (sometimes with a quick change in Ingolstadt). Check the itinerary before getting on a train, since not all trains headed for Nuremberg are this fast, even if they are branded 'RegionalExpress' (avoid those that go via Regensburg or Treuchtlingen).

You can travel on the RegionalExpress service either with a 'Regio-Ticket München-Nürnberg' (25€ for the two of you) or with the 'Bayern-Ticket' day pass (28€ for the two of you). If you are going to use public transport within Munich or Nuremberg, the Bayern-Ticket could be quite beneficial, since it's also valid on all public transport within the cities, including MUC to downtown Munich. Both can be bought from DB ticket machines on the day of travel (or online in advance if you prefer).
Old Dec 9, 16, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, Mandira ^

We will have luggage, therefore prefer non-stop train.
Old Dec 10, 16, 5:46 am

Programs: Spire RA, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
Here's an overview of Munich Christmas Markets in English:

http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/events...-overview.html

Munich airport has its own market, by the way.
Old Dec 10, 16, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Chinatrvl.
Old Dec 10, 16, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Found this: http://monkeysandmountains.com/chris...kets-in-munich

The one in Residenz looks interesting.
Old Dec 10, 16, 10:24 am

Programs: Spire RA, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN, Ctrip Diamond VIP.
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon View Post
Found this: http://monkeysandmountains.com/chris...kets-in-munich

The one in Residenz looks interesting.
and it is very close to Marienplatz, so is the medieval one. You can easily visit all three.
Old Dec 10, 16, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Will try
Old Dec 10, 16, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mandira View Post
<snip> There's also a quite peculiar one at Wittelsbacher Platz (just west of Odeonsplatz), which has a lot of medieval weapons on offer.
LOL, that's awesome. I was wondering where I was going to find medieval weapons for my Christmas shopping this year!

Regards
Old Dec 10, 16, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

scubadu @:-) ^
Old Dec 10, 16, 6:03 pm
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
jt82 MUC-NUE from non-stop to one stop (FRA). Fares ranging from $116.80 (35m) to $410.40 (16h 45m ��), one way!

offerendum There are a few Christmas Markets in Munich. We have time to visit only one. Which would you recommend?
I know there are few but you can and will visit more than one. They are near by and you have to walk thru some (for example Stachus or Marienplatz). Visit the courtyard of the residence, nice setting
Old Dec 17, 16, 4:53 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G

The NUE-FRA and (especially) the NUE-MUC flights are not really for pont-to-point flyers, even though they are sold as such. When adding transfer time to/from the airport and check-in time, the train wins on time. The reason for these flights being offered is to give convenient connections to international flights from FRA/MUC. NUE is close to the center of Nuremberg, it is easy to reach by U-Bahn or taxi. MUC is a great airport, but it is far from the city and public transportation is not good. With your own car MUC is easily accessible from Nuremberg, but not by public transportation. (FRA has hourly direct trains frim Nuremberg, though)

I prefer the Christkindlesmarkt in Nuremberg to any market I have seen in Munich. In Munich, I would pick one of the smaller, in addition to the main one om Marienplatz (a place where one is bound to walk through in any case!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: