FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Amsterdam to Germany and back? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1804456-amsterdam-germany-back.html)

ndeitman Nov 25, 2016 10:38 am

Amsterdam to Germany and back?

Last week my plan to visit New Zealand in 2017 was scrapped when I snagged an incredible price on flights to Amsterdam. So now, I have no knowledge of the area, and have never been, but I have 10 days (excluding travel) to plan for! I just don't know where to begin.

Based on some initial searching, it appears we'd want to spend about 2-3 days in Amsterdam. I think I'd like to see Munich and area castles, and spend some time in the Rhine valley. I don't know if the Black Forest would be possible, but I'm interested in that.

I've thought about getting a flight from Amsterdam to Munich (to save time on travel) and then work our way back to Amsterdam by rail, stopping in Frankfurt and maybe Cologne/Dusseldorf area. I really don't have any concept on how much time each of these would take. I'm looking for ideas that will help me research and piece together a plan. Or suggestions on cannot miss stops. I think we'll have roughly 7 days for Germany.

Not opposed to renting a car, but we're interested in avoiding it.

Travel dates: April 27-May 9
About us: 32 year old couple
Interests: outdoors/moderate hiking, food, breweries/wineries. Not hugely into art or history, but we certainly can appreciate those with significant historical value. We love taking pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing some castles. I like wondering in and out of shops (he doesn't :))
Recent loved trips: Yellowstone National Park, Napa Valley, Kentucky Bourbon Trail

All help and ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

LondonElite Nov 28, 2016 12:39 am

Just take trains. It's much more relaxing and easy to do. Amsterdam to Cologne, where you can go shopping, then a train along the Rhine, where you can see plenty of castles. For the Black Forest you'll need a car, but you understand that it's a big forest, right? There are some spectacular roads to drive on and wonderful towns and hotels, but it might be more helpful if you specified what you're looking for there. From Stuttgart you can drive the slow way to Munich and see plenty of castles (Lindau, Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, etc) and beautiful scenery. Maybe stop for a day or two near Germany's highest mountain, Zugspitze. I think you should open an atlas to get a sense of directions and distances.

bigbuy Nov 28, 2016 3:11 am

Cruise the Rhine river cheap and see some castles. Start in Cologne and end in Rudesheim. Cost is about 31 euros. The scenery between Koblenz and Rudesheim is amazing.
www.kdrhine.com

Flying Lawyer Nov 28, 2016 9:09 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 27534996)
Just take trains. It's much more relaxing and easy to do. Amsterdam to Cologne, where you can go shopping, then a train along the Rhine, where you can see plenty of castles. For the Black Forest you'll need a car, but you understand that it's a big forest, right? There are some spectacular roads to drive on and wonderful towns and hotels, but it might be more helpful if you specified what you're looking for there. From Stuttgart you can drive the slow way to Munich and see plenty of castles (Lindau, Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, etc) and beautiful scenery. Maybe stop for a day or two near Germany's highest mountain, Zugspitze. I think you should open an atlas to get a sense of directions and distances.

and I would suggest adding six more weeks of time :D

LondonElite Nov 28, 2016 12:25 pm

Yes well this always something we have to deal with!

Flying Lawyer Nov 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 27537221)
Yes well this always something we have to deal with!

In particular if you want to see all of a big country in a week or so....

Sjoerd Nov 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ndeitman (Post 27526196)
Last week my plan to visit New Zealand in 2017 was scrapped when I snagged an incredible price on flights to Amsterdam. So now, I have no knowledge of the area, and have never been, but I have 10 days (excluding travel) to plan for! I just don't know where to begin.

Based on some initial searching, it appears we'd want to spend about 2-3 days in Amsterdam. I think I'd like to see Munich and area castles, and spend some time in the Rhine valley. I don't know if the Black Forest would be possible, but I'm interested in that.

I've thought about getting a flight from Amsterdam to Munich (to save time on travel) and then work our way back to Amsterdam by rail, stopping in Frankfurt and maybe Cologne/Dusseldorf area. I really don't have any concept on how much time each of these would take. I'm looking for ideas that will help me research and piece together a plan. Or suggestions on cannot miss stops. I think we'll have roughly 7 days for Germany.

Not opposed to renting a car, but we're interested in avoiding it.

Travel dates: April 27-May 9
About us: 32 year old couple
Interests: outdoors/moderate hiking, food, breweries/wineries. Not hugely into art or history, but we certainly can appreciate those with significant historical value. We love taking pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing some castles. I like wondering in and out of shops (he doesn't :))
Recent loved trips: Yellowstone National Park, Napa Valley, Kentucky Bourbon Trail

All help and ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

Please note that April 27 is Koningsdag (the King's birthday) in the Netherlands, so if you actually arrive in the Netherlands that day, the downtown areas in most cities (including Amsterdam) are mostly blocked to cars. It will be VERY crowded in those areas (big street parties) - not fun if you need to make your way to a downtown hotel! So plan accordingly - I would recommend a hotel on the South side of town that day (near Zuid WTC station which has a direct train from the airport)

linglingfool Nov 29, 2016 7:21 pm

If you have 10 days, narrow your focus down to two German cities in addition to Amsterdam; you'll spend too much time packing and traveling if you try to do 3 cities. Skip Frankfurt and stick with Munich and Cologne. The latter is roughly halfway between the other two and has plenty to see.

I would budget four nights for Munich, three for Cologne, and three for Amsterdam.

bitterproffit Nov 29, 2016 8:31 pm

I would stick to Amsterdam and Cologne. Easy train ride. Take a Rhine cruise as suggested. Some hiking opportunities outside of Cologne but I also enjoyed just hanging around Cologne walking around and drinking with the locals on Saturday afternoon in the old town. If you get bored with Amsterdam (not sure how that could happen), then some day trips on bikes from Amsterdam. Both have great food and both have great beers. I think you could easily fill 9 days with those two cities.

The_Bouncer Nov 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Be careful not to try to pack too much in. Amsterdam to Munich is a long way, and if you try to fit three other places in en-route, you are likely to spend all your time travelling, and will be too rushed to appreciate anything.

This is the number one mistake people make on multi-centre trips.

For an itinerary this short, I would suggest sticking with the places close by to Amsterdam. This offers the options of:

Aachen: a locely city next to the Belgian and Dutch borders, with a stunning cathedral.

Köln (Cologne): a pretty city on the Rhein, famous for its Gothic Architecture.

Trier: a lovely quiet town in the Mosel winelands.

Koblenz: an ancient city at the junction of the Rhein and Mosel rivers.

I like the idea of a river cruise. This would provide a good taste of the region with minimal planning or hard work.

offerendum Nov 30, 2016 7:29 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 27544476)
I like the idea of a river cruise. This would provide a good taste of the region with minimal planning or hard work.

Have to double this regarding comfort. Nice region.

roberto99 Dec 4, 2016 7:04 am

OP: Do either of you speak some German?

Germany is great but Amsterdam is one of my favorites! I could spend all 10 days there and be content.

Amsterdam is even 99% fluent in English (actually Americanish)!

kathykathy Dec 29, 2016 11:52 am

there is a AMAwaterways cruise from Amsterdam to Basel. then add on days in Lucerne. Might want to try that. My husband I are going in April 2017. Great river cruise line - went down the Danube last year. Fantastic!

RTW1 Dec 29, 2016 11:54 am

you wonder why someone would make a first post like this and then never come back...

LondonElite Dec 30, 2016 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 27677065)
you wonder why someone would make a first post like this and then never come back...

FT isn't what it used to be...