Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

One night stay - hotel is asking for wire transfer

Old Oct 20, 16, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance

I made a reservation via expedia at one hotel in Walldorf, Germany for just one night. It was 90 euro.

I left the hotel next morning thinking that money will be deducted by Expedia. Apparently not the case - I had to pay at the counter. Now I am back, hotel contacted me and they want to send me payment via wire because they do not take payments over phone via credit cards.

Wire transfer for me would be $45 USD + $12 intermediary bank fee. Sorry but this option is not acceptable for me. Next time I plan to go there is in 2018.

Any thoughts if there are alternative ways to make payment?
Old Oct 20, 16, 12:03 pm

transferwise
Old Oct 20, 16, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EB Silver
To be honest, I doubt it. Wire transfers are very common in Germany and always free or very cheap. As a business I'd certainly be wary of accepting unusual forms of payment, and I can understand why they might be reluctant to spend much of their time on helping you avoid a $57 fee, especially since they will regard it as having been your responsibility to ensure that your bill was settled before you left. Have you been in touch with them and explained your situation?

Alternatively, do you know anyone in the EU who will wire the money for you if you pay them back via PayPal?
Old Oct 20, 16, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Have you been in touch with them and explained your situation?
Yes I did. waiting for their reply.

Alternatively, do you know anyone in the EU who will wire the money for you if you pay them back via PayPal?
My head office is 20km away. Might ask my colleagues to stop by and pay the amount, but wanted to avoid this hassle.

P.S. Side note - a hotel not accepting credit card payments in 2016 in middle of Europe was inconceivable for me. Live and learn...
Old Oct 21, 16, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
P.S. Side note - a hotel not accepting credit card payments in 2016 in middle of Europe was inconceivable for me. Live and learn...
Heh, welcome to Germany. I guess they probably do accept credit cards when you pay in person at the desk but have no way of accepting them without the physical card (or at least don't know how).
Old Oct 21, 16, 12:44 am

Honestly, I would just go and find another Hotel that does accept credit cards. Way too much hassle for a one night stay in my opinion.
Old Oct 21, 16, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bacchus85 View Post
Honestly, I would just go and find another Hotel that does accept credit cards. Way too much hassle for a one night stay in my opinion.
The thing is - I already stayed there
Old Oct 21, 16, 2:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I wonder if the Germans know that the only requests Americans ever get for wire transfers are from thieves/scammers?
Old Oct 21, 16, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I wonder if the Germans know that the only requests Americans ever get for wire transfers are from thieves/scammers?
Do you think they care?
Old Oct 21, 16, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
So? This was a hotel in Germany where wire transfers are perfectly normal and above board. Most Germans would find it very strange to mail a cheque, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a common way of settling bills in the US.
Old Oct 21, 16, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

So? This was a hotel in Germany where wire transfers are perfectly normal and above board. Most Germans would find it very strange to mail a cheque, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a common way of settling bills in the US.
Yes, that is the whole point.
Old Oct 21, 16, 2:49 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
How about going to your bank or credit union and purchasing travelers cheques. Endorse it over and sign. Send by mail.
Old Oct 21, 16, 2:38 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I donīt understand why they didnīt take a credit card at check-in. Am I right that you left without check-out? In this case some hotels would have called the police.
Old Oct 21, 16, 4:25 pm

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Card Holder
Something similar happened to me once in Paris. I booked a room through a hotel reservation service, which had my credit card. On check-in, no credit card was required. The night before I was to leave, I stopped by the front desk to settle the account. I was told to do so the next morning. The next morning there was no one present at the desk, but I checked behind the desk and found a clerk sleeping on the floor. He was not able to check me out, but opened the door for me so I could get to the train station.

A few days after I returned to the U.S., the booking service sent me an email indicating that the hotel had told them I had left without paying. I shared my experience and told the booking service that the hotel was authorized to charge the card I had provided to the booking service. A few days later, the charge appeared on my card.

It is quite common at smaller European hotels to not request any form of payment until departure, and to not have 24-hour desk staff. In Switzerland, I had to turn on the stairway lights and unlock the front door in order to make a 455am train.
Old Oct 21, 16, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
How about going to your bank or credit union and purchasing travelers cheques. Endorse it over and sign. Send by mail.
Two problems - you will have a hard time finding a bank selling T/C now. Secondly - they do not accept it.

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
I donīt understand why they didnīt take a credit card at check-in. Am I right that you left without check-out? In this case some hotels would have called the police.
It was f-ed up by Expedia. In the reservation page was my credit card number, rate and printed 'Collected by hotel' - so no extra thoughts from my side.

At check in (9PM, reception was closed, and they guy came from his apartment after giving him a call) I never was asked to give credit card - just showed printed out Expedia reservation, neither I was asked at the next morning during breakfast. Only three weeks after I came back I checked my Facebook messages (!) and saw their message that there is no payment for stay. If I never checked my FB, I would never know...

Last edited by invisible; Oct 21, 16 at 11:36 pm

Search this Thread