Wiki Posts
Search

One night stay - hotel is asking for wire transfer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by invisible

P.S. Side note - a hotel not accepting credit card payments in 2016 in middle of Europe was inconceivable for me. Live and learn...
To your side note: I find it pretty normal that a hotel does not accept payment without any signature or authorisation over the phone. It always frightens me in the US that a credit card number over the phone is sufficient to post a charge to my account. This is an invitation to CC fraud.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Often1
You know your employer better than we do, but if it is a fairly standard German employer, it might not look kindly on you.
Are you implying that I purposely left the hotel without paying?

FYI - I am paid more in hour that that stay was over night.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is not an aweful lot

There is not doubt that you acted at least negligent and I personally would not feel comfortable to argue that I forget to pay my hotel bills, may it be purposely or not.

If the hotel hat lost your reservation, this would be rightfully a big deal for everybody here. You forgetting to pay is with all due respect the same big deal. So do not complain about the hotel but get organised.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
If the hotel hat lost your reservation, this would be rightfully a big deal for everybody here. You forgetting to pay is with all due respect the same big deal. So do not complain about the hotel but get organised.
Why don't go scroll back and read the story?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Your "purpose" is largely irrelevant. This is a reputational matter for your employer.

The fact is that you skipped out on a valid hotel bill and now are complaining about a legitimate local business practice, e.g., requiring a wire transfer or in-person credit card transaction.

It comes down to either inconveniencing a colleague or spending some money.

If it is your suggestion that people who make more than EUR 90 / hour are less likely to commit frauds than those who make less, I would suggest that you have a poor sample.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

As I see here, some people have reading comprehension problems.

Have have rule not arguing with religions people and those with IQ of less than 50. Good luck.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As I see here, some people have reading comprehension problems.

Have have rule not arguing with religions people and those with IQ of less than 50. Good luck.
I made a reservation via expedia at one hotel in Walldorf, Germany for just one night. It was 90 euro.

I left the hotel next morning thinking that money will be deducted by Expedia. Apparently not the case - I had to pay at the counter. Now I am back, hotel contacted me and they want to send me payment via wire because they do not take payments over phone via credit cards.
You say yourself that you left the hotel 'thinking' that you had paid. Anyone who travels reasonably frequently knows that it is accepted custom to check out of a hotel by going to the reception desk and completing these formalities. The irritating habit of some US chain hotels of slipping your bill under the huge gap in their cheap doors does not apply in the rest of the world.

So you left without checking out or enquiring about settling your bill. It really amounts to skipping out on payment. The hotel had to chase you (I agree doing so via FB is a bit bizarre), but if they had your employer's name on file it would not have surprised me at all if they had made contact there.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Most Germans would have to think for a minute or two before they understood what a cheque is. Then they might remember that their parents or grandparents used those things once.
I disagree. For a long time, lots of Eurochecks were used in (West) Germany.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, nobody everywhere else
Another option is XE (for future reference). i've used it for years to xfer funds between US/Netherlands/Germany/France (though not lately). In fact, I once used it to pay a German hotel after a very similar situation. http://www.xe.com/xemoneytransfer/
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree. For a long time, lots of Eurochecks were used in (West) Germany.
They were used all over Europe, but Eurocheques began to die out from the late 1990s onwards. I think they completely ceased in 2001 or 2002, so a good 15 years ago. Cheques are still used in the UK (unfortunately) but mostly for quaint things like contribution to the class teacher gift present or by old people paying their heating bill. Everything else is direct debit or straight bank transfer.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why don't go scroll back and read the story?
I did and can once again only say: get organised. Bragging about not anyhow impressive hourly rates but forgetting to settle hotel bills is nothing I would like to take a report on from any of my employees.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
They were used all over Europe, but Eurocheques began to die out from the late 1990s onwards. I think they completely ceased in 2001 or 2002, so a good 15 years ago. Cheques are still used in the UK (unfortunately) but mostly for quaint things like contribution to the class teacher gift present or by old people paying their heating bill. Everything else is direct debit or straight bank transfer.
Cheques are still used in Germany, but rarely.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by offerendum
Cheques are still used in Germany, but rarely.
Would you be able to provide an example by chance?

Having spent a good amount of time living in Germany, I'm only aware of cheques being used for select int'l transfers (e.g. an American/Canadian sending a cheque to a German resident who in turn deposits the cheque into his account). I've honestly never come across a cheque being used to make payments within Germany (or to be more precise: not within the last 10+ years).

Last edited by Jasper2009; Nov 12, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MHG
Thatīs a different story ...
Most suprmarkets (including LIDL and ALDI) do accept credit cards now.
Simple reason:
Credit card companies gave in regarding transaction fees / commission - finally.
Hm, I was under the impression that most German supermarkets now accept credit cards as a result of the EU capping the CC merchant fees at 0.3% in most cases (vs. the previous ~1.5%-2%)?

Of course, as a side effect, most co-branded credit cards in Germany have become pretty much useless.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Would you be able to provide an example by chance?

Having spent a good amount of time living in Germany, I'm only aware of cheques being used for select int'l transfers (e.g. an American/Canadian sending a cheque to a German resident who in turn deposits the cheque into his account). I've honestly never come across a cheque being used to make payments within Germany (or to be more precise: not within the last 10+ years).
I beg to disagree. Fortunately or better unfortunately cheques are still used in Germany in particular for larger amounts and transactions to delay payment for a few days. They are a dinosaur of the past and I didn't like them but sometimes cannot avoid them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.