Wiki Posts
Search

One night stay - hotel is asking for wire transfer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I booked a room through a hotel reservation service, which had my credit card. On check-in, no credit card was required. The night before I was to leave, I stopped by the front desk to settle the account. I was told to do so the next morning. The next morning there was no one present at the desk. A few days after I returned to the U.S., the booking service sent me an email indicating that the hotel had told them I had left without paying.
Exactly my case

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I shared my experience and told the booking service that the hotel was authorized to charge the card I had provided to the booking service. A few days later, the charge appeared on my card.
Unfortunately, this did not work for me.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Do they take PayPal?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Do they take PayPal?
Nope. Bank transfer only.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by invisible
Two problems - you will have a hard time finding a bank selling T/C now. Secondly - they do not accept it.
Not sure why you are letting their problem be your problem. Easy to find the checks. Easy to mail. Their decision to accept or not. This is a low tech solution that works for all, although you may be unfamiliar with the process.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I did a fault as I thought you stayed at the Waldorf Berlin (wondered abot the cheap rate). At a small hotel it's something else.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC
Not sure why you are letting their problem be your problem. Easy to find the checks. Easy to mail. Their decision to accept or not. This is a low tech solution that works for all, although you may be unfamiliar with the process.
Except traveler cheques are not legal tender in Germany and they therefore don't have to be accepted.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:46 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by mfkne
Except traveler cheques are not legal tender in Germany and they therefore don't have to be accepted.
They do not have to be accepted, but they can be accepted, at least according to the German Wikipedia page:
"Der Reisescheck wird nicht von einer Zentralbank ausgestellt und ist daher kein gesetzliches Zahlungsmittel, sondern lediglich ein Geldsurrogat. Aus diesem Grunde besteht bei Handel und Kreditinstituten kein Annahmezwang; die Akzeptanz beruht auf Freiwilligkeit."

It is thus up to the hotel whether they want to accept the travellers cheque, but if I were the OP, I would contact the hotel and ask whether they would accept a travellers checque, and if positive: send one by registred mail.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
My head office is 20km away. Might ask my colleagues to stop by and pay the amount, but wanted to avoid this hassle.
And what if a colleague wires the money!? No hassle in that.

... in middle of Europe was inconceivable for me. Live and learn...
That's Germany. I've had on numerous occasions the problem of not being able to pay by card (either because they simply refused cards or because they only accepted specific German cards).

France has a similarly strange situation. While France is very open to credit and debit cards, I encountered a few situation, where I was required to pay by cheque. I did have to order them at my bank and it took over 3 weeks to make the payment.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I wonder if the Germans know that the only requests Americans ever get for wire transfers are from thieves/scammers?
Wire transfers are quite common in Europe. We're not talking about those Western Union wire transfer to some Nigerian prince, but simple SEPA transfers.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
And what if a colleague wires the money!? No hassle in that.
I agree, asking somebody to wire the money for you would be easiest for all involved. Takes less than five minutes to do online and is almost certainly free.

Last edited by waffle; Oct 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by jt82
transferwise
Gonna highlight this option again. Can wire the money for a $3 fee.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Gonna highlight this option again. Can wire the money for a $3 fee.
Will try this option first - they are asking SIN $6 for transfer, plus exchange rate is 5% on the top of the spot amount, but it is OK for one time case.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by waffle
So? This was a hotel in Germany where wire transfers are perfectly normal and above board. Most Germans would find it very strange to mail a cheque, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a common way of settling bills in the US.
Most Germans would have to think for a minute or two before they understood what a cheque is. Then they might remember that their parents or grandparents used those things once.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 747FC
To exaggerate a bit, this would be like trying to pay a US hotel with sand dollars and shells. Just because they are accepted on a remote atoll doesn't make them a universal payment tool.

The concept of a cheque is, in most of Europe, outdated.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The concept of a cheque is, in most of Europe, outdated.
*every in Europe apart from France

Everybody else uses SEPA wiring orders. Cheap and usually cheap.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:10 am
Suspended

I transfer money between my various accounts in Europe all the time (SEPA). Costs me nothing and takes a day or two. Within the UK it's instantaneous (and free).

My US bank account (which comes with a chequebook, how cute) has stupidly high charges to wire money both domestic and international. I can see why all these money transfer apps exist in the US but not in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.