Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Is FRA the worst major airport in the developed world?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is FRA the worst major airport in the developed world?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
FRA Airport is the worst airport in Europe for connections. Here is why:
- FRA makes extensive use of remote gates. This adds 20-30 minutes to your connection.
As does LHR
- FRA is more crowded (IMO) than any of the alternatives (ZRH, BRU, VIE, MXP),
All of those are small.
- FRA is also expensive to fly into. Not sure if this is landing fees.
Try flying on on a non-*A carrier.

For entering the Schengen zone, FRA would be my last choice.
I'd say LIS would be my last choice if I wasn't an EU/EEC citizen.

I wrote to the airport authority after my last FRA cnx. and they confirmed this. I suggested they move short haul operations to lesser airports. Their response below says that is not happening:
I think you were talking of remote positions and not of remote gates. Such things we had and we will have them also in future.It will be impossible to operate our airport without any remote positions.As you wrote, they are numbered now. As I remember they have been numbered for the last 37 years as I´m working at this airport, I´m sure they exist some years longer...We do not move flights to other airport because we are no state organization able or willing to do this. It is not as simple as you may suggest. Perhaps it is probably like this in your country of origin.
It's a business that works pretty well. I've made 55 turned into 40 min connections with time to go to the lounge on a delayed inbound (not due to FRA's fault), though my bag did not. It requires quite a bit of walking, but I'd pick it over CDG or LHR any day.
Juju2014 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:08 am

Frankfurt airport Terminal 3...

The Frankfurt airport is building up Terminal 3. Terminal 1 is already too small and 1B and 1C pretty old style. Stuff told me they had over 500,000 passengers more only in the month of November 2017.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:10 pm

OK...arriving on LH 0441 from IAH and landing in the Z terminal. Departing A terminal to Oslo, with about ~1.5 hr connection.

Just had hip replaced and while I can't run, I don't need a wheel chair but long distance walks are a problem. Passport control and customs/immigration can be a slog. I've gotten lost multiple times at FRA. And there are very few people movers (flat escalators).Thinking this is a tight enough connection and that since I can't jog/run, I should play the mobility card to be safe and request a chaperon? Consult anyone?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Z is just above A, very close distances. Please consult the main FRA connection thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...on-thread.html
Batman's brother likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Batman's brother
OK...arriving on LH 0441 from IAH and landing in the Z terminal. Departing A terminal to Oslo, with about ~1.5 hr connection.

Just had hip replaced and while I can't run, I don't need a wheel chair but long distance walks are a problem. Passport control and customs/immigration can be a slog. I've gotten lost multiple times at FRA. And there are very few people movers (flat escalators).Thinking this is a tight enough connection and that since I can't jog/run, I should play the mobility card to be safe and request a chaperon? Consult anyone?
Why would you connect at FRA in the first place?
Absolutely ask for a wheelchair.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by keisari
Why would you connect at FRA in the first place?
Absolutely ask for a wheelchair.
Well, one reason might be that there are no direct flights from IAH to OSL.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Well, one reason might be that there are no direct flights from IAH to OSL.
I got that. But if you have mobility issues then flying via EWR or even Boston is much easier.
Also US airports are in general more mobility-impaired friendly (with some exceptions)
Old May 19, 2019, 3:11 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I got that. But if you have mobility issues then flying via EWR or even Boston is much easier.
Also US airports are in general more mobility-impaired friendly (with some exceptions)
No direct flights from BOS to OSL either. And connecting onto SK to OSL at EWR means changing terminals, which I certainly don't think will be easier with mobility issues, as opposed to request assistance at FRA.

MUC is generally a better airport for changing planes within *A than FRA, even though the new satellite has made the experience slightly more challenging,
Old May 19, 2019, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Really? Would you mind elaborating?
Old May 19, 2019, 6:40 pm

Really? Would you mind elaborating?
Most US airports have a decent wheelchair service.
There are elevators everywhere where there is an escalator
JFK may be the exception if you need to change terminals even though there are some walkways between them.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Most US airports have a decent wheelchair service.
There are elevators everywhere where there is an escalator
JFK may be the exception if you need to change terminals even though there are some walkways between them.
FRA has very good wheelchair service, as well as elevators.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold

FRA has very good wheelchair service, as well as elevators.
They really have elevators in Germany? I did not expect the Germans being that up to US standards.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
They really have elevators in Germany? I did not expect the Germans being that up to US standards.
Yes, but it is a relatively recent thing. Sometimes you have to look carefully or even ask. People occasionally treat them as amusement rides. I flew home from DUS yesterday and noticed that even you Rhinelanders have managed to install and operate a few of these devices. It was a revolutionary trip up to the SEN lounge.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Yes, but it is a relatively recent thing. Sometimes you have to look carefully or even ask. People occasionally treat them as amusement rides. I flew home from DUS yesterday and noticed that even you Rhinelanders have managed to install and operate a few of these devices. It was a revolutionary trip up to the SEN lounge.
Amazing. They are meant to take you to somewhere? I always thought they are just good for amusement. But you know, we are very traditional and prefer to walk up and down staircases.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:44 am
Suspended

At my 'home' airport I think there are only two, and you could not mistake these for amusement rides. They are very small, smell a bit funny, and take forever to either go up or down. I do not recommend this modern form of transportation at TXL. I don't think it will catch on. Also, I hear they are having real problem getting these rides to function at BER.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.