Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing Fruit In To Germany from USA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG
Bringing Fruit In To Germany from USA

I am traveling to Germany next week to visit some relatives. Some friends here in the US have asked if I would take along some pineapple and mango to give to their friends in Germany. I am willing to do it but am wondering if there is some hassle or prohibition about importation of fruit from the USA. I have not found anything online so perhaps it is not a problem. Anyone have insight on this?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
It seems that pineapple and mango should be ok. That said, I don't see the point of bringing in those fruits. They are sold in Germany too. Unless they are explicitly US grown fruits, there's virtually no reason to make such a fuss. Moreover, I can't imagine that a pineapple or a mango from the US would still taste very good after spending +8 hours in a bag, getting bruised.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:30 pm

Unser www.zoll.de You will find the relevant infos.
To make IT short, fruits are ok

Food out of animal origin Luke sausage will be confiscated.potatoes are also prohibited.

Habe fun and enjoy Germany
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
At a minimum, you will be required to declare the fruit and that will likely slow you down while you explain what you have any what it is for. That is a real hassle after a long-haul flight.

As WorldLux notes, these are sold in Germany. Why not buy some locally and take them to your friend's friends?

Alternatively, how close are these friends? This sort of request sets off all kinds of alarm bells for me.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
There is really no reason to do so. Both fruits are very common in Germany and also available as plane-imported fruit.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG
I totally understand that it is stupid to even entertain the request; I am sure the fruits are available in Germany. I am just trying to accommodate the request of an elderly friend who wants to send this gift to another elderly friend. There is nothing suspicious about the motivation here, but I agree with the comments that it is rather unnecessary to import fruit to Germany. That aside, however, I am willing to consider doing it for these specific people if that's what they really want. It seems possible based on some of the replies but if there are others that want to offer an opinion I am all ears.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
While pineapples and Mango are available in Germany, even the plane-imported ones are typically not ripe and taste much worse than what one can get in the US. So I understand your friend...
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't know the specific importation laws, but as someone who owns a house in Florida, I can tell you that the oranges I buy from our local grove bear no resemblance to those sold in Europe, and I bring back a big bag every time!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:39 am

Dont get panic.
There is no need to declare or to show fruits at customs. Only food animal origin are prohibited.
By the way, if you enter US it is prohibited to bring fruits from outside.

However, even if its available in the country there are might laws not to bring. Potatoes for example are prohibited to bring from outside EU.

At the zoll respective customs homepage in Germany there are the rules listed, even in English. No need for speculation and guessing.

Enjoy Germany
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
It seems that pineapple and mango should be ok. That said, I don't see the point of bringing in those fruits. They are sold in Germany too. Unless they are explicitly US grown fruits, there's virtually no reason to make such a fuss. Moreover, I can't imagine that a pineapple or a mango from the US would still taste very good after spending +8 hours in a bag, getting bruised.
Sorry, even if you enter Nevada or CA it is prohibited to bring fruits, seeds etc into and vice versa even if it's sold in both states.

Some states respective countries try to protect their farmers and also to try to protect their state from infected or genetic modified food which might cause problems to their products and kill the various types and sorts of fruits etc.

Iam in the food business and familiar with the regulations and laws. Doesn't matter if it's sold there or not. Sometimes the regulations are stupid but it is as it is.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by honk20
Dont get panic.
There is no need to declare or to show fruits at customs. Only food animal origin are prohibited.
By the way, if you enter US it is prohibited to bring fruits from outside.

However, even if its available in the country there are might laws not to bring. Potatoes for example are prohibited to bring from outside EU.

At the zoll respective customs homepage in Germany there are the rules listed, even in English. No need for speculation and guessing.

Enjoy Germany
If you check the Customs rules, also available in plain English, you will see that they require that all food items must be declared, even if they are admissible.

This is no different than the US. The standard CBP paper declaration (as well as GE electronic declaration) simply asks about "food". Once one answers "yes", it is either off to Ag or at least a stop to answer the "what food" question.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by honk20
Doesn't matter if it's sold there or not. Sometimes the regulations are stupid but it is as it is.
That's not what I meant. What I meant is, that you can get mangos and pineapples in Germany too. So unless you get locally produced fruit from the US, there's pretty much no point in transporting a goddamn pineapple thousands of miles. Otherwise, what's the point in transporting a pineapple, imported from Costa Rica. You get those in Europe as well.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
You should follow what laws are in Germany.

But at the same time, I've noticed that every time I arrive in the early morning hours from a transatlantic flight, I've found the RED customs channel to be devoid of any personnel to make a declaration to.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by seawolf
You should follow what laws are in Germany.

But at the same time, I've noticed that every time I arrive in the early morning hours from a transatlantic flight, I've found the RED customs channel to be devoid of any personnel to make a declaration to.
At least at FRA. At DUS they always waiting for me..... Always a frustrating experience for them
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
DUS customs/baggage claim has always been empty for me especially around hours of 11a-12p.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.