Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Arriving DL 130 ATL-MUC. How long is passport/baggage claim customs typically?

Old Aug 15, 16, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

My companions (two 70+ women) and I are deliberating whether we should check our bags or not.

Flight is scheduled to land at 9:10. Over last 7 days FlightAware says landing has averaged 8:56.

Our train from the downtown main train station is at 12:32 and it seems to me if we are at the station at noon we would be okay.

I'd like to schedule a car to pick us up at MUC and show us around an hour or two - wanted to see just a bit of Munich. The English Garden, Viktualenmarket, etc.

Should I tell car service, depart MUC at 10 am? If we carried on our bags, do you think I could say 9:30 or 9:45 AM?

The ladies like the idea of carrying on, but I've told them we'll probably be walking farther in the Savannah and Atlanta airports than we will be in all of Europe! Long walk to DL gate at SAV and lots of concourse changes at ATL.

We're packed light, but right on the edge of carry-on sized. I'd probably need to leave a couple of pairs of jeans and shoes behind.
Old Aug 15, 16, 11:41 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
MUC is well organized. I doubt the choose of checked and carry on luggage impects the time of your visit significant. You loose perhaps 5 to 10 minutes.
Old Aug 15, 16, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks. And we're flying in D1 so our bags should be SkyPriority.
Old Aug 16, 16, 1:26 pm

It sounds very rushed, considering that you can't really drive to the gardens or viktualienmarkt or marienplatz, and keeping in mind that the drive from MUC to the center of town will take the best part of an hour.

I'd say, see how you feel after the flight, but plan an alternative way of filling a couple of hours in a quiet spot not too far from the station.
Old Aug 16, 16, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. Worth thinking about.

The challenge is, I don't really know a nice quiet place near the station and don't want to wander with our luggage too much. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 16, 16, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another possibility is to pick up a sumptuous picnic lunch and take it on the train with you, a nice way to spend the journey to Innsbruck.
Old Aug 16, 16, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by BostonGuy View Post
The challenge is, I don't really know a nice quiet place near the station and don't want to wander with our luggage too much. Any suggestions?
The luggage is the most annoying part to be honest. I'm not sure what you are planning, but if you can have the car in stand-by with the luggage in it, you could check out one of these three cafés in/near Odeonsplatz:

- Café Tambosi
- Café Maelu
- Café Luitpold

And depending on your available time take a quick stroll in the Hofgarten, Federnhalle, Residenz. Then ask your driver to take Briennerstrasse, up to Karolinenplatz, Königsplatz, and back to the Hbf. Or take the U-Bahn for 2 stops back to Hbf.
Old Aug 16, 16, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! We'll see how things look when we land.

I am trying Blacklane, and while I show an email confirmation, the reservation doesn't appear on the site; we'll roll with it.
Old Aug 17, 16, 1:43 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
It sounds very rushed
It is Otherwise it depends on the flight. If you could sleep well it´s not a problem. If the car is rented by hours you can have a relaxed city tour with short stopps (for example Marienplatz - Feldherrnhalle - Viktualienmarkt should be 10 to 15 minutes walk).
Old Aug 27, 16, 2:37 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Baggage pickup has been pretty quick fire me at MUC.

You could just get the train into the main station. About 45-55 minutes.

Leave your bags in a locker at the main station and walk or get the U-bahn a couple of stops into the centre of Munich and walk the one or two hundred metres to Viktualienmarkt.

I'm a youngster in my sixties but managed fine.

Big lockers are €6 each. Don't forget to take your key like I did this week. Fortunately the locker areas security guard noticed and when I returned had my key ready in her pocket.

I love Munich and I'm sure you will too.

I spent last Tuesday afternoon working in the Paulaner brauhaus beer garden before catching my train to the airport for my late flight back to Scotland.

Old Aug 27, 16, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Our experience was extremely smooth. The flight was early and we were through customs before 9:30.

Search this Thread