Wiki Posts
Search

Is 4 hours in Aachen worth the bother?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue

I will be traveling from Frankfurt to London by rail in May and i'm wondering about stopping off in Aachen en-route. It's a city i'm keen to see but I think i'd only get around 4 hours there and i'm not sure if it's worth the bother - though I don't know when i'll get another chance.

Can anyone confirm if Aachen HBF has luggage lockers, my understanding is that it does.
I'm entirely confident about the travel aspect of it - I speak German and have done a fair bit of German rail travel (i've done Frankfurt-London 3 times before) - it's just whether or not it's worth going to Aachen for that amount of time. And yes I do realise it would be far more convenient to stop in Brussels for a few hours instead, I just don't like the place very much (or Cologne come to that).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:34 am

http://www.bahnhof.de/bahnhof-de/Aachen_Hbf.html seems to indicate that they do have luggage lockers, I can't recall seeing a decent sized German station that doesn't, but I've only travelled through Aachen and not stopped there so can't confirm personally or help you re: is it worth the stop
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:36 am

Hello,

Aachen Hbf definitely has luggage lockers.

And the station is about 1km away from the Dom, so in my opinion it is definitely possible to stop there for a few hours.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
In my eyes it´s definitively worth it - very nice city
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The cathedral alone should be worth a visit.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:29 am
qpr

There are lockers at the trainstation.

Aachen is always worth a visit.

If you have the chance, do it
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, sounds like it's a goer then. On a related issue, if I want to do a day trip up the Rhine Valley from Frankfurt, am I right in thinking I can buy a tageskarte to Koblenz and use it on a hop- on hop-off basis?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
To be frank 4 hours sound just about right, I wouldn't know what to do there for more than 4 hours.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by exilencfc
On a related issue, if I want to do a day trip up the Rhine Valley from Frankfurt, am I right in thinking I can buy a tageskarte to Koblenz and use it on a hop- on hop-off basis?
Yes, but because of the länder boundaries it would need to be the Quer-durchs-Land ticket (44€ weekdays) or Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket (40€ weekend). Alternatively you could get an RMV tageskarte (16€) to cover Frankfurt to Mainz/Wiesbaden and a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (24€) beyond that.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I can buy a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket on the day from a ticket machine can't I? (It'll be a Saturday or Sunday)
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:20 pm

Yep, that will work out just fine.

You can find all information about the Schönes Wochenend Ticket here:

http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/offers/...e-ticket.shtml
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Every time I take the DB to Amsterdam and we stop at Aachen, I've always wanted to visit the cathedral. If you have the opportunity, go for it.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Just utside of Aachen is the Dreiländerpunkt -- where NL, DE and BE meet and you ca be in 3 countries at once. It's really close -- walkable even -- and easy to get to by bus. Some details here and here.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

The newspaper museum (zeitung museum) is also cute. Fun 8 minute visit. Very one of a kind - I read about it in bill Bryson's book ages ago.

Glad you'll see Aachen. Lovely walking. Easy. Have fun!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Just utside of Aachen is the Dreiländerpunkt -- where NL, DE and BE meet and you ca be in 3 countries at once. It's really close -- walkable even -- and easy to get to by bus. Some details here and here.
I don't think this is feasible in four hours. Taking buses is too much of a risk, even in efficient Germany.

I've spent a weekend in Aachen and found it interesting and very pleasant in a quiet way. The historic center, including the cathedral, is well preserved in general. It's fun to see in in both day and night. There are some historic pubs and restaurants which are good too, assuming that you like German food and German wine/beer.

A quick four visit is better than not seeing Aachen at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.