Wiki Posts
Search

11h in MUC..where to stay/eat

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, WN Comp Pass, Hertz Pres. Circle

I have an 11h in MUC in June. Is that enough time leave the aiport and get 6 or so hours of sleep in town? If not, is the Hilton in the airport a good option?

Any thoughts? I transit through LHR and FRA a lot, but this is my first pass through MUC. What would you do?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Take the train boards at the airport, for DT, lots to do, many shops....

Airport has some nice lounges, should be some United lounge passes floating, on FT.

We spent a week there, good public transportation.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Xnuiem
I have an 11h in MUC in June. Is that enough time leave the aiport and get 6 or so hours of sleep in town? If not, is the Hilton in the airport a good option?

Any thoughts? I transit through LHR and FRA a lot, but this is my first pass through MUC. What would you do?
If you are after sleep, I woudn´t go to town. I would stay at the Hilton. Very conveniant.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
Take the train boards at the airport, for DT, lots to do, many shops....

Airport has some nice lounges, should be some United lounge passes floating, on FT.

We spent a week there, good public transportation.
United doesn't have a lounge at MUC and United lounge passes aren't usable for Lufthansa lounges. Also, the OP didn't provide enough information as to which airline he/she is flying or whether he/she has status.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Sorry we were United FC, so we used the Lufthansa Lounge, did not know the passes would not work.

I give mine away,

The information given was a little short.

Thank you, I should have know they would not have been accepted except by United.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Trains to downtown take about 40 minutes each way. Getting to/from downtown and waiting will use up 4 hours out of 11 hours. This doesn't leave much time for eating and sleeping.

The Hilton is convenient but could be pricey on weekdays. The Novotel is one stop away by S-Bahn or bus. There are some good restaurants at the airport including Airbräu.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

What would I do? Well, it depends on what my main objective is. You don't say at what time of day this is, but if my main objective is to sleep and eat, I wouldn't go into the city. There is no point.

NewbieRunner's advice is sound. If your inbound flight is on time, it will take at least 90 minutes to get into the city from wheels down (immigration, transit), and you'll have to leave the city at least two hours before your next flight. That reduces time in town to 7.5 hours. If you plan to sleep for six of these, what's the point. The Hilton at the airport is fine for this.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: FB Gold, TK Elite, AB Gold, Sixt Plat, Hertz 5* and former many things
If you are not leaving the airport and still want to have a german beer / some weiss wurst / watch some sports, you may want to go to the Erdinger Sportbar. Not sure exactly when you will be there but starting June 10th you have the european soccer/football championship
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Wow, thanks everyone.

I am flying LH, in J, but I dont have status in that alliance. I live in DFW, so yep, I have EXP on AA.

I am Plat with Marriott, so I was thinking of going downtown to stay. But, I will only have about 12 hours. I am wheels down around 10p coming in from PRG before I continue on.

Thinking again strongly about just staying in the Hilton to conserve time and get some rest before I go on vacation for a week with the wife.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Wow, thanks everyone.

I am flying LH, in J, but I dont have status in that alliance. I live in DFW, so yep, I have EXP on AA.

I am Plat with Marriott, so I was thinking of going downtown to stay. But, I will only have about 12 hours. I am wheels down around 10p coming in from PRG before I continue on.

Thinking again strongly about just staying in the Hilton to conserve time and get some rest before I go on vacation for a week with the wife.
Marriott is not really downtown. I would stay with Hilton
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Marriott is not really downtown. I would stay with Hilton
Ah. Even more important. Hilton it is. Thank you.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

The Marriott is in the middle of nowhere and very ordinary. Stay in the airport Hilton for sure.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, thanks everyone.

does not J o LH get one into the LH biz lounges at MUC?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:45 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by slawecki
does not J o LH get one into the LH biz lounges at MUC?
Yes, the OP should have access to a Business Lounge. There is one each on the Schengen (G) and non-Schengen (H) level.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:03 pm

If you really want to stay downtown, yet easily get back to the airport, you can take the Ubahn direct from the airport to either the Hilton Munich City or the Holiday Inn, which are sitting right over the Rosenheim Ubahn stop. There's underground shopping and a way directly to those two hotels. You can check in, leave your bags, and then go a couple of stops further to the Marienplatz stop, the main tourist attraction, plus Viktualmarket just around the corner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.