FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Surviving hunger at Frankfurt airport! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1709626-surviving-hunger-frankfurt-airport.html)

adrian44 Sep 13, 2015 3:54 am

Surviving hunger at Frankfurt airport!

I have an upcoming flight that includes an 11 hours layover in Frankfurt airport terminal 2, which is also connected to terminal 1 via free bus and people mover. I had a similar stop in the past and wasn't ready, so when I felt hungry I had to buy a tiny hot dog sandwich that cost me as much as a whole rotisserie chicken with two large sides and biscuit from a fine grocery store here in America :mad:

Do you have any tips on how to eat cheaply in FRA? I can always take some sandwiches with me before leaving the US, but not sure how security would deal with that plus I don't think they would be in top condition after 10 hours of flying plus 5 extra hours at the airport because I would eat in the middle of my layover, not when I had just disembarked.

Not a cheapskate here, just a conscientious protester to airports' unearthly prices :D

DrewGzy Sep 13, 2015 4:11 am

Assuming you won't have access to any lounges?

What time of day is your layover? If you have 11 hours I would suggest getting out of the airport and going downtown - not really an answer to your question but a solution nonetheless.

adrian44 Sep 13, 2015 4:26 am

Going to be there from 11 am to 10 pm. Leaving the airport is not something I want to do because of a previous incident that caused me to miss my connecting flight. Any tips are highly appreciated :)

DesertNomad Sep 13, 2015 5:07 am

There is a train station right in the airport that will take you to the main stain downtown. I'd just buy a round trip on that route (it only about 15 minutes). Once downtown there are lots of places. You would be downtown by noon and could very comfortably stay till 6 or 7pm.

Mauibaby2008 Sep 13, 2015 6:14 am

Originally Posted by adrian44 (Post 25417466)
Going to be there from 11 am to 10 pm. Leaving the airport is not something I want to do because of a previous incident that caused me to miss my connecting flight. Any tips are highly appreciated

Trains there are very efficient-

NYTA Sep 13, 2015 6:20 am

Buy a fully refundable first class ticket from FRA to anywhere. Go eat in the F lounge. Then cancel your ticket after you have finished eating.

Adam1222 Sep 13, 2015 6:27 am

Surviving hunger at Frankfurt airport!

You're going to have to make a decision here: (1) pay airport prices for food while spending 11 hours at an airport, or (2) putting aside whatever experience you had before and leave the airport. if anything, it will cure the boredom of 11 hours in the airport. if you're worried about time, leave the city and head back to the airport 5 hours before the flight. That would still give you at least 4 hours in the city.

adrian44 Sep 13, 2015 6:39 am

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 25417691)
Buy a fully refundable first class ticket from FRA to anywhere. Go eat in the F lounge. Then cancel your ticket after you have finished eating.

This is devilish genius :D

Thanks all. A round trip train ticket might be the way to go indeed.

JOUY31 Sep 13, 2015 7:14 am

Moving this thread to the Germany forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz co-moderator

nacho Sep 13, 2015 8:55 am

Here's a supermarket at FRA:

http://www.frankfurt-airport.de/cont...t____city.html

It's not obvious but you should be able to find it. We used it before we made *A G, they have cheap hot food inside. You can get a cheap meat loaf sandwich for EUR 1.5.

DrewGzy Sep 13, 2015 9:58 am

Originally Posted by adrian44 (Post 25417749)
A round trip train ticket might be the way to go indeed.

Give yourself as much time as you need to be comfortable getting back to the airport but I don't think you'll be sorry for doing this.

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 25417676)
Trains there are very efficient-

Couldn't agree more - I've made it from the train station downtown to my gate in 20 minutes (not recommending this at all).

nacho Sep 13, 2015 1:56 pm

I would use the chance to go out too - but if OP doesn't want to then it's his choice. That's why I pointed out Tegut.

Trains are efficient but not cheap, if you only go out to grab a bite then you might as well stay in FRA.

ChangingNappies Sep 13, 2015 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 25417691)

Wasn't there a guy who pulled this off repeatedly and run into serious problems with LH?

Alex71 Sep 13, 2015 2:32 pm

The REWE supermarket in the Squaire above the long distance train station has different prepared foods, a salad bar and a butcher that sells warm meat dishes, all for less than what the deli section of an American supermarket would charge.

If you are there during the week, you may want to check out some of the lunch specials of the restaurants in the Squaire.

cdn1 Sep 13, 2015 2:35 pm

Germany is not as cheap specially with Euro as their currency.
Food at restaurants is quite expensive anyway