Germany Car Rental Tips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany Car Rental Tips

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
After a situation & a long winded dispute we had involving renting a car at Frankfurt Airport we now take out all insurances in Germany.It gives us peace of mind and was very useful when a tyre got shredded a couple of years back. Our rental agency fully reimbursed us for the new tire on proof of the receipt and were very helpful. Withoput the full insurance it would have been a very expensive tyre.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Germany Car Rental Tips

Tire damage is normally no covered under CDW so you took out a good policy
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:10 pm

Liability

Is liability automatically covered? There does not seem to be an option of purchasing it
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Germany Car Rental Tips

3rd party liability is always included in Germany so no need to purchase extra
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Merlin666
If you are driving through the Alps a bigger concern would be potential crossing over into other European countries where the rental contract and insurance may not be valid. Be sure to read the contract and the list of countries that may be prohibited from entering.
Sometimes it's quite hard to avoid passing through bits of Italy, especially in Switzerland, and certain car types are excluded there.

As far as I know the Lufthansa Miles & More credit card provides insurance against the excess, which I'm planning to use for a rental this summer in Switzerland (and later on in the U.S.). Any experience with this card?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Always ask how high the deductible is! Sometimes it can be even as high as 1000€. And sometimes it can be reduced to 1€ for a low fee
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:12 pm

Germany Car Rental Tips

3rd party liability 0 deductible ( by law ) and very high limits ( was unlimited back then / maybe now 50m / but it will cover all possible cases)
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mrgreen
Always ask how high the deductible is! Sometimes it can be even as high as 1000€. And sometimes it can be reduced to 1€ for a low fee
That's the deductible for motor own damage, there is no deductible under the Auto liability coverage.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Question! How much do rental companies usually block on your credit card for a 1 day use drop off in a different city in Germany? Trying to budget for it now as I fly out to Germany tommorrow.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Not exactly what you are asking for but it might help
Same place return, one day rental, compact car (Ford Focus), company contract: 215€ were blocked.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
Not exactly what you are asking for but it might help
Same place return, one day rental, compact car (Ford Focus), company contract: 215€ were blocked.
Thanks. I got a Volvo for about 85 euro per day from Hertz plus insurance, etc. Total cost for a 1 day rental came to 385 euro which was a killer for me. Just for a 1 day use.

Unlimited km but we returned the car to the drop off center with the fuel tank still 3/4 full (it was a diesel) and we got whacked with the fuel tank charge since we didn't stop to fill up before driving to drop off the car.

We simply were out of time and rushing to get into Munich city to drop off our bags at the hotel and then to get to the Allianze Arena in time for the start of the tournament.

We got caught in a terrible jam on the Autobahn for an hour as all traffic stopped for 10-20 minutes several times.

And that was just to get from Sttutgart airport to Munich airport!
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Always bad if you don't refill fuel. Happened me last time in Marseille.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
Always bad if you don't refill fuel. Happened me last time in Marseille.
Yes, it was literally costing more than the car rental alone. Lesson learned!
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You paid EUR300 for a quarter tank of fuel???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.