Wiki Posts
Search

ICE train at Frankfurt airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 11:01 am
Original Poster

ICE train at Frankfurt airport?

Hey hey!

I'll be flying in to Frankfurt from Singapore and then according to my itinerary, as planned by the airline I'm taking Lufthansa, I'm required to take the ICE train to Stuttgart. It is my first time taking this train and further information about where should I go and what to do is limited.

1 - Do I get out of the immigration and the airport then to the train station?
2 - At the train station am I required to check in any baggages? Will it be fine if I just bring everything with me on board the train cabin?
3 - Are there any stops in between the train ride between the Frankfurt airport to Stuttgart HBF railway station?

My train number is LH 3634

Hope to hear from you soon
Old May 1, 2014, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ming-Ding-Ding
Once you get out of immigration look up and you will see signs for 'long distance trains'. You follow these signs up an escalator, across a bridge (enclosed) that crosses the terminal road, and then down to the train station platform. It should take you no more than ten minutes.

2 - At the train station am I required to check in any baggages? Will it be fine if I just bring everything with me on board the train cabin?
Depending on how much luggage you have, you just take it with you and put it either overhead or, if you have a lot, there are compartments at the front and back of every carriage for luggage storage.

3 - Are there any stops in between the train ride between the Frankfurt airport to Stuttgart HBF railway station?
That depends on the train, but most stop at least in Mannheim. It's a pretty easy and pleasant journey which should not take more than 1:30.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
2. It`s not possible to check in baggages at Deutsche Bahn.
3. You will stop in Mannheim and perhaps Heidelberg
Old May 1, 2014, 12:48 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, Ming-Ding-Ding!

If your baggage is checked through to Stuttgart (ZWS) you collect your baggage at the AIRail Terminal on the way to the train station, rather than from the regular baggage claim, before taking it to your train.

Old May 3, 2014, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys so much for your informative answers!

Anyway @NewbieRunner, thank you for welcoming me into the community

One thing I wanna enquire is that I have booked my flight straight from Singapore to Stuttgart so will my baggage be automatically checked through to Stuttgart? If so is the AIRail terminal before or after immigration?

Regards,
Ming

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

If your baggage is checked through to Stuttgart (ZWS) you collect your baggage at the AIRail Terminal on the way to the train station, rather than from the regular baggage claim, before taking it to your train.
Old May 3, 2014, 3:21 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thank you guys so much for your informative answers!

Anyway @NewbieRunner, thank you for welcoming me into the community

One thing I wanna enquire is that I have booked my flight straight from Singapore to Stuttgart so will my baggage be automatically checked through to Stuttgart? If so is the AIRail terminal before or after immigration?

Regards,
Ming
Your baggage should be checked through to Stuttgart but ask at Singapore to make sure. However you will have to pick it up in FRA and take it to the train. The AIRail Terminal is after immigration. After leaving the plane follow the signs for Exit, then after immigration follow the signs for the long-distance train station which are marked with the letter 'T' (as opposed to the local train station marked 'S'). This will take you up one floor, across the pedestrian bridge and a concourse towards the train station. Half-way down this concourse you will see a sign for the 'AIRail Terminal' (an area with check-in counters) on the left and baggage claims for passengers connecting from plane to train. Train platforms are on the lower level reached by an escalator or elevator.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:46 am
qda

I'm also going from FRA to Stuttgart by train on a Lufthansa connection, so I thought I'd bump this thread. Does anyone know how the train ticketing works? Will I get a train ticket when I check into my flight, or is there something else I have to do at FRA after landing? Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
You will have a boarding pass that you show the conductor. I also believe you'll have reserved seating.

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/AIRail-just-like-flying
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You'll get a boarding pass document if your booking is to Stuttgart. It will have a LH flight number on it as well.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
qda

Thanks, both!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I will fly into FRA T2 with CX. How far/long is the walk to the train station, going to the city.

Google Maps says it’s 20min walk. Is this correct?

Last edited by boybi; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:02 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by boybi
I will fly into FRA T2 with CX. How far/long is the walk to the train station, going to the city.

Google Maps says it’s 20min walk. Is this correct?
Trains to the city depart from the regional train station, not the long-distance ("ICE") train station mentioned in the thread title.

From T2 arrivals, walk outside to the street to the transfer bus stop (free shuttle bus between T1 and T2). Including wait as well as travel time, it should take around 15 min to get to T1. From the bus stop, if you look towards the Sheraton hotel (not towards T1), there are entrances to the terminal's lower level (you can see escalators/moving staircases behind window panes). Take one of the moving staircases to go one level down. From there, you'll see signs towards the regional train station. It's about a 3 min walk from the bus stop.

So yeah, in total it may take 20 min (slightly less if you get lucky and catch a bus without wait time).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by ryanp
Trains to the city depart from the regional train station, not the long-distance ("ICE") train station mentioned in the thread title.

From T2 arrivals, walk outside to the street to the transfer bus stop (free shuttle bus between T1 and T2). Including wait as well as travel time, it should take around 15 min to get to T1. From the bus stop, if you look towards the Sheraton hotel (not towards T1), there are entrances to the terminal's lower level (you can see escalators/moving staircases behind window panes). Take one of the moving staircases to go one level down. From there, you'll see signs towards the regional train station. It's about a 3 min walk from the bus stop.

So yeah, in total it may take 20 min (slightly less if you get lucky and catch a bus without wait time).
Would it be faster or better to just take the taxi or uber to the city? Are there buses from airport to the city?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:22 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
There are local buses to suburbs close to the airport, not to the city center.
There are no Uber in Germany. Taxi would not be much faster, specially if your destination is very central (traffic in central Frankfurt is poor) and would be much more expensive. Di you have lots of luggage ?
The train is very convenient as there are several stops on the line in the city center. What is your hotel ?

Edit to clarify: The app Uber will work but it will call a regular taxi, not an Uber per se. You are better off getting a taxi from the rank as there is no waiting time.

Last edited by fransknorge; Jan 15, 2019 at 2:41 am Reason: Add clarification
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by boybi
Would it be faster or better to just take the taxi or uber to the city? Are there buses from airport to the city?
Yes, an Uber or a taxi would be quicker. For Uber, use code HALLOFFM18 for EUR 10 rebate (valid up to Feb 28, 2019).

Buses may be an option, depending on where exactly in Frankfurt you need to go. To my knowledge, there are no direct busses to the city center (defined, say, as Frankfurt Hauptwache). You can check out bus as well as train schedules on rmv.de

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.