Reload this Page >

TXL and English speaking employees?

Old Mar 21, 14, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P

My sister in law (Danish national) just came back from a trip from CPH and connected at TXL to take an AB flight. She told my brother that absolutely no one spoke English there.

What is up with Berlin? I have connected through FRA and MUC a few times and the people there spoke better English than most Americans.

What gives?
Old Mar 21, 14, 8:54 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Seems rather odd to me. OK, I can speak some German, and my flights through there are normally AB-BA connections, but I've always heard plenty English being spoken there.
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:12 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
TXL and English speaking employees

Personally Never had this problem
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:23 am

I had a business trip to Berlin last fall and had no problem speaking English in TXL. Maybe she ran into an unusual staffing issue? Was it just staff for a particular carrier, or security or what?
Old Mar 21, 14, 9:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG

Been trough TXL many times... Never found an employee I couldn't communicate with in English. FRA I think they pair security screeners so at least one of the pair speaks English -- never has much of a problem there either.
Old Mar 21, 14, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Pro, Marriott Platinum, Sonesta Preferred

Very odd. Been thru txl numerous time and I have found people speak better English then some Americans. Maybe just a fluke I hope.
Old Mar 21, 14, 10:45 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to the Germany forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 21, 14, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Maybe my SIL was getting snubbed by the Germans. Is there some long lost animosity between them?
Old Mar 21, 14, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
My sister in law (Danish national) just came back from a trip from CPH and connected at TXL to take an AB flight. She told my brother that absolutely no one spoke English there.

What is up with Berlin? I have connected through FRA and MUC a few times and the people there spoke better English than most Americans.

What gives?
Aside from maybe the janitorial staff, I find this extremely hard to believe. I've been to TXL more times than I can remember, and cannot begin to imagine where she would encounter this with airport ground staff or shop staff. I speak German, and do so at the airport when checking in or coming through passport control. But TXL has so many foreign nationals going through there daily that English becomes the de facto language. Even the airport annoncements are done in both German and English.
Old Mar 21, 14, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold

What gives?
Your post is ambiguous at best with room for grossly erroneous interpretation.
Your SIL's complaint is that:
a) she heard no one speaking English during her time making her transfer?
b) she tried to speak to one person in English and he/she responded in German?
c) she tried to speak to multiple people in English and they all replied in Germany?
If a) or b), then your inference "what is up with Berlin" is a gross distortion.
If c) then the very small subset of people she encountered at the airport at that particular time again doesn't stand up your supposition.
Old Mar 21, 14, 6:49 pm

All the people I needed to talk to at TXL spoke passable to good English. And that held true for the rest of Berlin as well. But I would always ask (in German) if they did first, as a courtesy.
Old Mar 22, 14, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Maybe my SIL was getting snubbed by the Germans. Is there some long lost animosity between them?
Maybe your SIL snubbed the Germans or somehow behaved strangely? It is not always us picking on others.
Old Mar 22, 14, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

acccording to google, most everyone in berlin under 40 speaks passable english, with the exception of the foreingners(turkish wrkers, for example)
Old Mar 22, 14, 4:14 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Normally in Germany all younger People speak some Kind of English. Normally to work at an Airport good English (I woudn`t qualify) is essential.
Old Mar 23, 14, 12:49 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

From what I know, the people working at an airport have at least to go through a test for basic EnIglish skills.

If someone does not understand your English, they will look for someone understanding it. However, it might be a problem of the accent or pronounciation that they did not understand each other.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: