Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

The Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport was originally set to open in 2011; the opening has been postponed to October 2020.
https://simpleflying.com/berlin-bran...rport-opening/

It is being constructed adjacent to Schönefeld Airport, which it will replace.
Print Wikipost

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I remember a time when it was to open in 2005. Ah, what memories! But this really hurts AB. The baggage system at TXL is not meant for a hub operation. So I guess we will see ticket fees out of TXL more like MUC or FRA, and less like HAM or DUS, to pay for this?
Looks like Berlin officials were already on this. Apparently there is a new tourist tax and VAT being charged since the start of the month. It looks like it is a 5% tourist tax added to the rate, plus an additional 7% VAT. However, the 7% VAT does not apply to people there on business. I don't know what the qualifier will be for that. Company name? And when I checked rates, some hotels are including it automatically (IHG) and others are adding it afterwards (Club Carlson/ Marriott).
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Sixt Platinum, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Fanjet
...However, the 7% VAT does not apply to people there on business...
It's the other way round: the 5% so called city tax doesn't apply for business travellers. Hotels must ask the purpose of travel and then charge accordingly.
The VAT (7%) is not new and can be claimed back the normal way (depending on whether you work for a German, EU or non-EU company)
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:33 am

1 million visitors to the yet-to-be-completed BER

Interesting article in the NYT on the new (indefinitely suspended) Berlin Brandenburg Airport.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/wo...ttraction.html
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
There was an article on the lack of pening of the new airport in today's NY Times:

In a Land of On-Time Arrivals, a Tour of Anything But

BERLIN — In the early days of aviation, it was common for people to visit airports simply to stand on observation decks and watch the planes come and go. This city’s new airport is attracting tourists for the opposite reason: a conspicuous lack of passengers and planes after a series of delays and bungles that have driven its cost billions of dollars over budget and pushed its opening back indefinitely.

Part of the appeal seems to be the chance to gawk at evidence that Germany — practically synonymous with precision and efficiency — could fail in such a spectacular fashion.

Scheduled to open in November 2011, Berlin Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport began offering public tours of the construction site after ground was broken in 2006. Since then, about one million people have signed up, said Ralf Kunkel, an airport spokesman.

And business seems to have picked up even more as the problems have mounted. One budget travel agency began offering vacation packages last spring — two nights in a nearby hotel and a trip to the beleaguered airport in a double-decker tour bus.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Thanks for posting this link; somehow I missed this article on the NYT website. Last time I was in Berlin was November 2013 and I thought for sure that was the last time I'd see TXL and take the bus to/from Alexanderplatz, but perhaps not...
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
We are so happy with our celebrety-airport.....
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, AA EXP
An interesting, if tangential, note is that Tempelhof also runs tours through the old abandoned airport. I did it while I was there a few weeks ago and it was really a wonderful experience.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Freaking disaster.

And I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I rather like flying into and out of TXL. The cons: no direct flights, because the airport is admittedly small and outdated; lounges are not worth visiting (this is very minor -- give me a few more hours in Berlin, please). The pros: TXL is located quite close to town; it's an easy airport to navigate; you will be in town or on your flight in an hour or so.

Yes, I know. It's old; it's outdated. People want to fly the big planes directly into Berlin. I get that. I like the big planes, and I like flying non-stop. But I also like TXL. It makes no sense, I know.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Soddon
An interesting, if tangential, note is that Tempelhof also runs tours through the old abandoned airport. I did it while I was there a few weeks ago and it was really a wonderful experience.
I cycled the full length of one of Tempelhof's runways a few weeks ago. We went as fast as we could but didn't manage a take-off. ;-)
A great experience!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:01 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let's share this with the readers of the Germany forum. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by ysolde
And I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I rather like flying into and out of TXL. The cons: no direct flights, because the airport is admittedly small and outdated; lounges are not worth visiting (this is very minor -- give me a few more hours in Berlin, please). The pros: TXL is located quite close to town; it's an easy airport to navigate; you will be in town or on your flight in an hour or so.

Yes, I know. It's old; it's outdated. People want to fly the big planes directly into Berlin. I get that. I like the big planes, and I like flying non-stop. But I also like TXL. It makes no sense, I know.

I completely agree with you! I've posted before about my fondness for TXL, and I think you've got it exactly right. Best thing about it is getting off my short KLM flight from AMS, and within 10 minutes I've purchased my 7 Tage-Karte and I'm on the bus to Alexanderplatz. Love Berlin; wish I was there now!
Old May 2, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: AA PLT
Just keeps getting better:

Berlin Brandenburg has been built with a capacity of 27 million passengers a year, but the city’s two other airports, which are supposed to close when BER opens, took 26 million passengers last year.
Berlin's new airport is already too small
Old May 2, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
I always thought they'd reopen TXL a few years after BER opened, for LCC's. Now it seems that might need to be the arrangement from the beginning...
Old May 3, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Sixt Platinum, HH Silver
Originally Posted by orthar
I always thought they'd reopen TXL a few years after BER opened, for LCC's. Now it seems that might need to be the arrangement from the beginning...
The latest plans are to keep the old SXF building as Terminal 2 for the easyjetset. Good idea but one problem: this was supposed to be the government's terminal until their own is available. But opening of this is, guess what, delayed...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: AA PLT
Even better:

The man who designed a malfunctioning smoke extraction system at Berlin Brandenburg Airport – one of the reasons for the delayed airport opening – was not a trained engineer, German journalists revealed.
Berlin airport hired fake engineer to design fire system

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.