Wiki Posts
Search

Germany Car Rental Tips

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Germany Car Rental Tips

My wife and I are going to Germany in March and plan on renting a car for about 2 weeks. Since we will be driving through the Alps in winter a scratch or dent is more likely.

From everything I have read, all German rental car companies are big sticklers about the car coming back with any scratches or dings. And rental counter does a very hard sell on getting additional insurance coverage for $$$ per day.

My concern is that while I have rented cars all around the world, I have always just used my Visa Signature credit card coverage to cover any possible rental damage. And we have never done significant damage to a rental car.

How does Flyertalk recommend I protect myself from the aggressive rental car return policies? Should I just buy their insurance (expensive), should I use my Visa Signature (some coverage), should I pick up a Amex Premium policy ($25 for entire rental), or is there a different and better option?

Thanks,
Nissan
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
If you're going for that length of time and collecting/returning from the same location, then book the car via

www.billiger-mietwagen.de

This is a broker who compares all the hire car companies and manages to elicit very competititive rates. The full insurance packages they offer are also very reasonable, so you can double up on your coverage if using a cc that also offers CDW as part of its conditions.

And then, as always, inspect the car meticulously upon collection and report any non-noted damage to staff.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, car rental agencies in Germany are pretty meticulous when inspecting return rental cars.

First, if you are relying on coverage through your credit card, make sure it covers international rentals. I've seen cards that only provide coverage on domestic rentals. The AMEX premium policy seems like a good deal. You may also want to check with your own car insurance provider - they might be able to provide rental coverage as a low cost add on to your existing policy.

Second, as AlienInTheFatherland said, you should be meticulous in inspecting the car and noting damage with the company when you pick up the car.

Third, don't stress over potentially cause damage. Germany is a safe and easy place to drive. With 4 or 5 rentals and a European delivey covering a couple thousand miles, we've never had any damage to a car.

And finally, do the return walk around with the rental car agency employee doing the inspection. While they are fair and honest in my experience, you should double check. Remember any claim for damage to the car can be disputed.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to checking whether your credit card car rental insurance covers international rentals, check the maximum length (two weeks should be OK, but check to be sure) and excluded makes/models. If you rent an automatic in Germany, it might be a make/model that's excluded as a luxury vehicle under the credit card policy. You could also be upgraded by the major full service car rental agencies to something considered luxury and therefore excluded, so watch out.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Or just get the Amex Premium Rental Car insurance ($20 per rental).

Tips: try to rent at a non premium location (airports/ larger train stations charge 20-30% extra)
Inspect the car carefully before you drive of the lot
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: LH FTL
Very good advice from everyone.
Do not forget to take lots of pictures of the car before you drive...Do the same when you return it. Also, take the pictures of the kilometer reading and have your gas receipts for another 3 months.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I had never a problem with returning my rental car in Germany. I always thought American rental car companies try to sell you extra insurance, upgrades and so on
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Germany Car Rental Tips

In Germany they sell you insurance as most Germans need it ( private car insurance won't cover it / not included with most CC).
Never had a problem in Germany either
Btw if you book Sixt check Sixt.com Sixt.co.uk ca.sixt.com and Sixt.de as sometimes there are differences in pricing ( especially between classes)
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nissan720
Since we will be driving through the Alps in winter a scratch or dent is more likely.
I don't understand why driving through the Alps in winter would lead to a scratch or a dent more than in the summer...

From everything I have read, all German rental car companies are big sticklers about the car coming back with any scratches or dings. And rental counter does a very hard sell on getting additional insurance coverage for $$$ per day.
As someone who rents a car at least twice a month in Germany I completely disagree with both of these statements. The return process usually involves a quick look around the car and a question about whether everything was ok. I've never had any hard sell on additional insurance for a car. Usually a question about whether I would like to keep insurance on my credit card and that's all.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If your route takes you on the relevant Austrian autobahns, don't forget to pick up an Austrian vignette sticker at pretty much any petrol station in the region. A ten day sticker is €8.70 and there is a non-zero risk of a police checkpoint looking for them. (We went through one on the way out of Salzburg)

If you're careful, you can stick them lightly enough to the windshield to peel it off when you return the car and have an interesting souvenir.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
As noted above, there are various insurance providers (German or otherwise) e.g. Allianz which would cover any eventual excess that you would have to pay to the car rental company in case you do not purchase full CDW. That should only be a handful of Euros per day for, I would say, complete peace of mind
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by blitzen
In Germany they sell you insurance as most Germans need it ( private car insurance won't cover it / not included with most CC).
Never had a problem in Germany either
Btw if you book Sixt check Sixt.com Sixt.co.uk ca.sixt.com and Sixt.de as sometimes there are differences in pricing ( especially between classes)
Thanks for that tip. I'll keep my eyes open for better rates now!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: no status
If you are driving through the Alps a bigger concern would be potential crossing over into other European countries where the rental contract and insurance may not be valid. Be sure to read the contract and the list of countries that may be prohibited from entering.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: Lufthansa
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
If you're going for that length of time and collecting/returning from the same location, then book the car via

www.billiger-mietwagen.de

This is a broker who compares all the hire car companies and manages to elicit very competititive rates. The full insurance packages they offer are also very reasonable, so you can double up on your coverage if using a cc that also offers CDW as part of its conditions.

And then, as always, inspect the car meticulously upon collection and report any non-noted damage to staff.
I do not believe you can "double up" on coverage. Accepting company insurance voids the credit card insurance. I have read many credit card actual policies.........they all state in order for the insurance to be in force (the cc cdw).........you must refuse the rental car company cdw.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:51 pm

Maybe slightly off topic, but don't forget to familiarize yourself with the differences in traffic rules, e.g. car coming from the right has the right of way, no passing on the right on Autobahns, railroad crossing, standard speed limits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.