Wiki Posts
Search

DriveNow Car Sharing Service in Munich, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Hamburg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
DriveNow Car Sharing Service in Munich, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Hamburg

Good news for travelers to Munich (and other cities) - an easy way to drive a new BMW and get back and forth to the airport conveniently.

BMW DriveNow Car Sharing Service Opens at Munich Airport

BMW's DriveNow car sharing service announced it was opening a branch at Munich Airport (Flughafen München) as part of a three-month pilot program. Arriving passengers can pick up a BMW 1 Series or X1 as well as a Mini Cooper, Cabrio, or Clubman and rates start at €0.29 per minute of driving. Time while parked is €0.10 per minute except between midnight and 6 a.m. when there is no charge.
Several …..

Last edited by oliver2002; Feb 22, 2013 at 3:13 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:14 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I would like to add a few information:

The drivenow webpage is: https://www.drive-now.com/internatio...language=en_GB

Drive now is a partnership between BMW and Sixt, which requires that you register with them. The registration fee is 29 EUR. There is - as far as I understand - a few of 12 EUR for driving to the airport (see https://de.drive-now.com/rates/?L=1&language=en_GB), but I have only skim-read the t&c. Going to the airport is in so far only possible in Munich, not in other cities as the airport for example in Düsseldorf is not within the area where you can drop the car.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:26 pm

Looks like a good idea. At the moment, no cars are available at the airport. I will have to see how availability improves closer to my Munich trip.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:28 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I would like to add a few information:

The drivenow webpage is: https://www.drive-now.com/internatio...language=en_GB

Drive now is a partnership between BMW and Sixt, which requires that you register with them. The registration fee is 29 EUR. There is - as far as I understand - a few of 12 EUR for driving to the airport (see https://de.drive-now.com/rates/?L=1&language=en_GB), but I have only skim-read the t&c. Going to the airport is in so far only possible in Munich, not in other cities as the airport for example in Düsseldorf is not within the area where you can drop the car.
Correct.
The service charge of EUR 12 applies for both ways each way.

Btw., as Munich resident I am a (happy) DriveNow user and I would be willing to send an "invitation to join" by e-mail which reduces the joining fee from EUR 29 to EUR 10 (iirc). Disclaimer: I would benefit by getting a "rental minute bonus".
Just send a PM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Sounds like ZipCar

This concept is very similar to zipcar in the US. It has shown to be profitable in major cities and works well. From time to time, they also send you invitations to register for free and codes to get some time off.

In the US, they usually charge by the hour (can be billed within 1/4 of an hour) but you need to make reservations first and return back when you promise to do so. Otherwise, fine is huge.

Hope this concept is success as I would love to take advantage of it next time I am in Berlin/Koln or Munich.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ACC2008
This concept is very similar to zipcar in the US. It has shown to be profitable in major cities and works well. From time to time, they also send you invitations to register for free and codes to get some time off.

In the US, they usually charge by the hour (can be billed within 1/4 of an hour) but you need to make reservations first and return back when you promise to do so. Otherwise, fine is huge.

Hope this concept is success as I would love to take advantage of it next time I am in Berlin/Koln or Munich.
No, the BMW drive now concept is not very similar to zipcar. Zipcar has a classic carsharing concept which is around in all larger German cities since 10-15 years.
BMW runs a "drive as you go" concept similar to MB with MUC being an exception because it is outside of the "drive as you go" area.

I don't get this "Uhh we invented something in the US and now the rest of the world is going to learn" attitute.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:17 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
I've driven a demo 1-Series electric in California. It's live now out of SFO and a few more locations. I have a membership card but have yet to use it (since the car was a demo, after all).

http://us.drive-now.com/

It drives rather poorly -- the braking when you're off the accelerator is excessive; I get that you want regenerative braking but not being able to coast? Why?

Also, this is a general complaint for all BMW cars: the center console makes no sense to me.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Sixt Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KPT
I've driven a demo 1-Series electric in California. It's live now out of SFO and a few more locations. I have a membership card but have yet to use it (since the car was a demo, after all).

http://us.drive-now.com/

It drives rather poorly -- the braking when you're off the accelerator is excessive; I get that you want regenerative braking but not being able to coast? Why?

Also, this is a general complaint for all BMW cars: the center console makes no sense to me.
We just got them in Munich. I haven't got my hands on one yet though!

About the dashboard... are you of a certain age by any chance?

To clarify, the 12€ airport fee is only if you terminate or begin a rental there.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: AA,UA
Can anyone report back on their experiences using DriveNow in Munich? Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Use it on a regular basis, great option to get to town from the airport. If you pick a car with less than 25% fuel in the tank (they always have 1-2 cars in that state on the lot in P20) you get 20mins deducted when fuelling the car. So spend about 10 min+12€ to get home. ^
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:39 am

I used it a lot until I moved away this Summer. It's a brilliant system they have going there. Great cars, very flexible, nice and simple. Beats the pants off Flinkster (Deutsche Bahn's car sharing scheme).

As Oliver2002 says, the 25% fuel extra minutes thing is a good incentive / recovery for when a car need filled up.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: AA,UA
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be visiting soon and plan to use it to get out to the suburbs.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 4:21 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

By the way, drive now now offers also now pick up and return at Düsseldorf Airport

(https://de.drive-now.com/fileadmin/a...rf-English.pdf)

Since ayou can also drive for a fee from Düsseldorf to Cologne this might be also of interest for some of us.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 8:10 am

Annnnnd from the 4th of November there will be DriveNow in Hamburg!

Conveniently I'll be there a week or two after, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Can you drop this car any where?

Hello,

I am coming to Cologne and have signed up for Drive Now service. I need to get to a restaurant a little bit out of the way.

Can I just drive there and pay for the time it will take me to get there and park it close to the restaurant (as we may be in there for several hours) and then book it at our departure time to pick it back up and drop it close to my hotel?

Will I pay for charges from my hotel to the restaurant and a second charge back or will it be one charge which will include the time we were eating in the restaurant but not driving?

Thanks for clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.