Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

commuting to Mainz from Frankfurt for a week?

Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA

I am going to be spending a week in Mainz and I am wondering if it makes sense to stay in Mainz or whether I could stay in Frankfurt and take the train each day back and forth. Any ideas on the advisability of doing the latter? Is it an easy trip? I'd likely stay at the Intercontinental in Frankfurt. Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
There is an S-Bahn train every 30 minutes from the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof (Main Station) to Mainz. Travel time is 38 minutes, cost is 7.30 each way. There are also limited-stop trains (Regional Express) about once per hour, travel time 33 minutes. The IC Frankfurt is 10-minute walk from the station.

That said: Mainz is actually a more charming city than Frankfurt. Certainly, there are more restaurants, etc,. in Frankfurt, but Mainz isn't without! If you are very fixed on the IC Frankfurt (RA status?), fine, but otherwise I'd consider staying in Mainz.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Mainz in a pleasant small city. Unless you want very late nightlife or large/high category hotels, stay in Mainz. Something else to consider is how late the train service runs in the evening if you would be expected to join colleagues in Mainz for dinner.

Depending on whether you want IC stays or nights, it could make sense to split your stay with a few days in each place.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Yes my idea was to stay at the IC for the club, nice running trail along the river behind the hotel, etc. But if Mainz is a nice little town it might not be worth doing the trek. This is the problem with status... it makes you want to use it!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:12 am
Community Director Emerita

The Hyatt on the river in Mainz is very pleasant. I like eating outside by the river.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The Hyatt on the river in Mainz is very pleasant. I like eating outside by the river.
OK I think it's settled.

Now I just need to find me some suite upgrade coupons or something!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.