Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need euro help!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Need euro help!!

Hi everyone, I am traveling to Germany on Friday, but I will have a stop in London on Saturday. I will get to Germany on Sunday, but have to pay my landlord her euros for the month I will be staying in the apartment. I have to pay it all in cash on Sunday. I just got back from my credit union to see if they could raise the limit while I am in Europe so I can pay my rent, but they said that the daily lilmit is 400 dollars. There is no way I will have the money to pay to my landlord. I do have another account with a bank with a bank card, so I will have to see if they could raise the limit as well. If not, does anyone have any idea how I can exchange my money to pay my rent? I wish the landlord took credit card or check, but she wants cash...this is stressing me out!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Can't you just take cash US dollars with you and buy Euros when you arrive at FRA Sunday (or wherever in Germany)?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
See if there is any private money changers in your community that can change USD to EURO, their rates are usually better than banks.
Airport or those that are open on Sunday in Europe is not going to give you good rates.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Depending on where you are, you can also buy euros in the states. Many banks have them on hand (if you are in a large city). It will cost, but probably no more than the exchange booths in FRA.

Will your landlord take a partial payment on Sunday with the rest on Monday? You could then get to a bank with a better exchange rate.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by pianogirl78
If not, does anyone have any idea how I can exchange my money to pay my rent? I wish the landlord took credit card or check, but she wants cash...this is stressing me out!
One thing for you to learn when in Germany. We abandoned checks quite a while ago. Too unsafe and since the bank guarantee to honor checks up to a certain amount is gone now for years no one uses checks any longer in Germany. Second in Germany credit cards are not as widely accepted as inthe US and definitely not by landlords.

The common way to pay your rent in Germany is by direct transfer from your banking account to the landlord's account. So I recommend that you get a German checking account (Girokonto) as soon as possible. Especially if you intend to stay for a longer period in Germany.

To solve your immediate problem. Withdraw US Dollars from your account and exchange it for Euros at the airport.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:52 pm

If you don't want to carry large amounts of cash there is always the option of paying by international bank transfer (or "wire" as our American customers call it). There is likely to be a hefty fee for the service, but at least you won't be in danger of being robbed. As caspritz78 has explained bank transfers are very much the normal and expected method of making payment in Germany, and I am sure the landlord will be happy to provide you with bank details on request.

Failing that... as others have said, just take cash!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by caspritz78
To solve your immediate problem. Withdraw US Dollars from your account and exchange it for Euros at the airport.
One of the worst exchange rate you can get is at the airport, as already mentioned. So if I were you, I'd get it in US before I leave, better than doing the exchange in Europe!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yes, at first my landlord wanted me to transfer the money from my account to her account, but the bank I have in the US wouldn't do it in Euros, only US dollars, so she told me to bring her the full amount in Euros when I arrive. I'll only be in Germany for a month. I went to my other bank, and I was able to buy Euros on their website, so I will have the money on Thursday. I'm just relieved to have the rent on hand so I can give it to my landlord on Sunday. When I need a smaller amount of money, I will withdraw from the atm.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by pianogirl78
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yes, at first my landlord wanted me to transfer the money from my account to her account, but the bank I have in the US wouldn't do it in Euros, only US dollars,
Your bank was talking nonsense.

The money would have left your account in dollars and arrived in the landlord/landlady's account in Euro.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: LH, HH, PC
Originally Posted by Aviatrix

The money would have left your account in dollars and arrived in the landlord/landlady's account in Euro.
Not all german banks accept incoming transfers in foreign currencies (e.g. Norisbank).
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you have a stock brokerage account, you can get an ATM card from them. most have very large withdrawal limits(over 1000) and a good exchange rate(about 1%).

i have made an arrangement and paid the $400 for a number of days to cover the total cost.

best would be to get the money in travelers checks at $us 100 each. take them with you, and find out where in germany you can get the best conversion rate. i have had little to do with german "street" conversions. my business conversions have all been at a much inferior rate to other western european countries.

i would go back to your bank and find out what world they live in. i have made bank transfers from us dollars in european currencies from both large and tiny banks. actually got the best service from the small guys. they do not have exchange facilities, but they use a large bank to get the job done. if you are dealing with BoA, you deserve to suffer. they are terrible.

i do not know if AAA still sells amex tc's in forn domination. they used to charge about 1.5-2%.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix

Yes and No.

The money leaves your account, your bank and arrive at destination bank in your currency. The destination bank then converts it for a fee and take their pound of flesh and then deposit the leftover amount in local currency into the payee's account.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:52 am

Just a thought, but why not use PAYPAL ?

You and your landlord would have to open PAYPAL accounts, but that takes just a few minutes. You can easily then transfer funds quickly from one person to another: Euros, Dollars, Francs.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swissaire
Just a thought, but why not use PAYPAL ?

You and your landlord would have to open PAYPAL accounts, but that takes just a few minutes. You can easily then transfer funds quickly from one person to another: Euros, Dollars, Francs.
The fee for using Paypal to send money is not cheap and Paypal is not known for its favourable currency conversion rates.

There is also holds on funds transferred into new accounts which can be as long as 30 days for international transfers.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The large US Banks I've had experience with (BoA and Chase) transfer in both USD and EUR. BoA actually prompts you which currency you would like to use. Its cheaper (about 35$) to wire USD amounts to Germany, your local bank will charge you a small fee to process the conversion. My local provincial sparkasse charged me 7.5€ for the work, but converted at the days interbank rate. A colleague did both the BoA USD and EUR transfer to his Deutsche Bank account and the USD transfer was cheaper for him. We tried this with 10000 US$ each time.

While many things may be said about big banks, local credit unions really don't cater to the international banking segment. My advice would be to open a BoA checking account asap and us it for such things. BoA has agreements with various banks that allow fee free ATM use when travelling. I had a Deutsche Bank and BoA debit card each for just this purpose. The above mentioned 400/600$ daily limit is a limiting factor though.

More on the BoA ATM deal:

Bank of America is a member of the Global ATM Alliance. The Global ATM Alliance is a group of financial institutions that have created the world's first international ATM Alliance.

Use your debit card or ATM card within the Global ATM Alliance in the countries shown with no ATM operator fees or Non-Bank of America International ATM Fee. International Transaction Fees of 1% for converting your currency may apply. Some members may have locations in countries other than the country listed in the coverage area. Only ATMs in the country listed are considered part of the Alliance.
Bank Name Coverage Area
View Banking Centers and ATM locator of Bank of America United States
View Personal Banking Page of Barclays Bank United Kingdom. United Kingdom countries include: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey and the Chanel Islands.
View Bank Agency locator page of BNP Paribas Bank France
View Home Page of BNL D'Italia Bank Italy
View Branch locator of Deutsche Bank Germany
View Branch and ABM locator of Scotia Bank Canada and the Caribbean. Caribbean countries include: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Netherlands Antilles (St Maarten), St Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands
View Home Page of Westpac Bank Australia and New Zealand

In addition, Bank of America has arranged for you to use your debit or ATM cards in China at China Construction Bank ATMs (China Construction Bank ATMs in Hong Kong are not included) and in Mexico at Banco Santander with no ATM Operator Fees or Non-Bank of America International ATM fee. International Transaction Fee of 1% for converting your currency may apply.
http://www.bankofamerica.com/deposit...c_faq_ATM#qn45

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.